power fan speed detected in BIOS but not in AsusProbe

Tags:
  • Asus
  • BIOS
  • Power Fan
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 10, 2004 7:59:14 AM

TruePower 430, Asus P4P800 Deluxe
I can see the fan speed in BIOS about 1200 rpm, but AsusProbe and
Motherboard Monitor shows zero power fan speed.

Anybody has the similiar problem?
Thanks,
Tim

More about : power fan speed detected bios asusprobe

April 10, 2004 7:12:50 PM

Tim wrote:
> TruePower 430, Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> I can see the fan speed in BIOS about 1200 rpm, but AsusProbe and
> Motherboard Monitor shows zero power fan speed.
>
> Anybody has the similiar problem?
> Thanks,
> Tim

Tim,
You most likely need to lower the RPM threshold so it will register
properly. My 430W runs about 1400rpm. Since the BIOS sees it, once you
set the threshold lower it should work OK. It's been said here many
times not to run both Probe and MBM at the same time or you might get
some screwy readings.

Rob
April 11, 2004 11:35:35 AM

I didn't run Probe and MBM at the same time, but still get zero rpm at
either of them. I have set the threshold to 600rpm, still nothing.
After some testing, I have some new findings. If I run Sisoft Sandra burn-in
wizard long enough, the power fan start to increase to about 1350 rpm, MBM
starts to see it. It jumps between 0 and 1350. After power fan speed reaches
over 1400, I got stable reading in MBM.
If I stop the burn-in wizard, cpu temperature starts to drop and MBM power
fan speed is back to zero again after the speed slowed down to about 1350
rpm. This happens with or without Q-Fan.

The BIOS can always see the power fan speed no matter how slow it is.

Tim

"Rob" <robc@insightbb.spambone.com> wrote in message
> Tim wrote:
> > TruePower 430, Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> > I can see the fan speed in BIOS about 1200 rpm, but AsusProbe and
> > Motherboard Monitor shows zero power fan speed.
> >
> > Anybody has the similiar problem?
> > Thanks,
> > Tim
> >

> Tim,
> You most likely need to lower the RPM threshold so it will register
> properly. My 430W runs about 1400rpm. Since the BIOS sees it, once you
> set the threshold lower it should work OK. It's been said here many
> times not to run both Probe and MBM at the same time or you might get
> some screwy readings.
>
> Rob

April 11, 2004 6:43:22 PM

Tim wrote:
> I didn't run Probe and MBM at the same time, but still get zero rpm at
> either of them. I have set the threshold to 600rpm, still nothing.
> After some testing, I have some new findings. If I run Sisoft Sandra burn-in
> wizard long enough, the power fan start to increase to about 1350 rpm, MBM
> starts to see it. It jumps between 0 and 1350. After power fan speed reaches
> over 1400, I got stable reading in MBM.
> If I stop the burn-in wizard, cpu temperature starts to drop and MBM power
> fan speed is back to zero again after the speed slowed down to about 1350
> rpm. This happens with or without Q-Fan.
>
> The BIOS can always see the power fan speed no matter how slow it is.
>
> Tim
>
> "Rob" <robc@insightbb.spambone.com> wrote in message
>
>>Tim wrote:
>>
>>>TruePower 430, Asus P4P800 Deluxe
>>>I can see the fan speed in BIOS about 1200 rpm, but AsusProbe and
>>>Motherboard Monitor shows zero power fan speed.
>>>
>>>Anybody has the similiar problem?
>>>Thanks,
>>>Tim
>>>

>>Tim,
>>You most likely need to lower the RPM threshold so it will register
>>properly. My 430W runs about 1400rpm. Since the BIOS sees it, once you
>>set the threshold lower it should work OK. It's been said here many
>>times not to run both Probe and MBM at the same time or you might get
>>some screwy readings.
>>
>>Rob

In MBM monitor, I have my Fan Divider slider set to 4 to get an accurate
reading from my 430W TruePower. I also have Fan Type set to /2. Q-Fan
doesn't have any direct effect on the PS fan but heavy system use can
cause the PS temp to rise, causing it's internal electronics to increase
the fan's speed. This most likely explains why you saw MBM start to
pickup readings at 1350 and gain stability at 1400 rpm. It sounds like
your Fan Type is set OK for your sensor chip but your Divider # might
need to be raised a notch or two. Higher numbers are for slower speed
fans. HTH.

Rob
April 12, 2004 5:56:52 AM

Thanks a lot, Rob. Raise the divider # to 8 fixed the problem.

!