P3 motherboard help

Looking for help in finding a good reliable motherboard for a 1 GHz. 133 bus
7.5 core .18 micron socket 370 256 kb L2
SL5DV.
Any suggestions as to what to look for that will support this chip?
Would like 4 pci slots minimum and a 4x agp slot
Have not had much success with via chipsets so would like to stick with
intel.
Any help would be appreciated!
Jim

Jim Austin wrote:

> Looking for help in finding a good reliable motherboard for a 1 GHz. 133 bus
> 7.5 core .18 micron socket 370 256 kb L2
> SL5DV.
> Any suggestions as to what to look for that will support this chip?
> Would like 4 pci slots minimum and a 4x agp slot
> Have not had much success with via chipsets so would like to stick with
> intel.
> Any help would be appreciated!
> Jim

The original Asus CUV4X, if you can find one... ok so this is a VIA
based motherboard but I would easily recommend it over an Intel based
one. It's as stable as a motherboard can be and some more, plus has the
features you want (full-range coppermine support, 1,5 GB max PC133 RAM,
4x AGP, 5xPCI, 4xUSB).

On the Intel side the i815 ones are ok (e.g. Asus CUSL2/TUSL2 series) if
you can live with the 512 MB RAM limitation. I've extensively used the
CUSL2 and it's a good board. The i820 ones (e.g Asus P3C series) are
considerably better but you must use Rambus RAM ($$$) to make it
meaningful (with SDRAM they're slow as hell and somewhat buggy), and I
don't think they've made any in socket370 format anyway so you'll need a
quality slotket as well ($$).
Really, these are your only Intel chipset-options.

I'm recommending the original CUV4X right from a long problem-free
personal experience with this board. It ran for more than two years
(quite often round the clock) totally maxed out (3x256 MB PC133, 1
GHz/133 PIII s370 coppermine, Matrox G450, PCTV tv tuner, Tekram DC-315U
SCSI, Tekram DC-390F SCSI, DLink 530TX NIC, SB live 1024 soundcard,
Fritzcard USB, netmod ISDN NT USB, toucam webcam USB, ATEN USB-to-serial
cable) using win2000 absolutely troublefree, and it's serving now as a
SOHO LAN gateway on a 24/7 basis.

Asus has made some really remarkable boards and the CUV4X is definitely
one of them.

Regards
Nikos

I'm still using an ASUS CUSL2 mainboard.Never had a problem.

Nikolaos Tampakis wrote:

> Asus has made some really remarkable boards and the CUV4X is
> definitely one of them.

I copy that. Highly recommendable. I'm almost sorry I sold mine with my P3
500E.

CUSL2-C and CUSL2-C Black Pearl are extremely reliable motherboards from
Asus. Still have BlackPearl in my second pc. Never ever problems. Would be
the perfekt board for a server if it wasn't for the 512 MB limitation of
ram.
Searched everywere for a second one for my daughter but they seems hopeless
to find. It's a really masterpiece.

FairMan

"Jim Austin" <jimbob@mountaincable.net> wrote in message
> Looking for help in finding a good reliable motherboard for a 1 GHz. 133
bus
> 7.5 core .18 micron socket 370 256 kb L2
> SL5DV.
> Any suggestions as to what to look for that will support this chip?
> Would like 4 pci slots minimum and a 4x agp slot
> Have not had much success with via chipsets so would like to stick with
> intel.
> Any help would be appreciated!
> Jim

I like my P3V4X but the CUSL2 (or something) is also a good board.