Attaching USB header to P4P800

I just got an Asus P4P800. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up
the front USB ports (what the manual refers to as the USB Header on
page 2-30) on USB_56 and USB_78. The manual has the pins labeled as
USB+5V, USB+5V, USB_P5-, USB_P6-, USB_P5+, USB_P6+, GND, and GND.
However, there are only 4 leads from each USB port on the case. They
are +5V, +D, -D, and GND.

So why do I have 4 leads to go onto 8 pins and what goes where?

thanks,
Peter
8 answers Last reply
More about attaching header p4p800

    In article <k60g70psb4phafrucd7166vtmd30mmrda3@4ax.com>, Peter Kronenberg
    <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote:

    > I just got an Asus P4P800. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up
    > the front USB ports (what the manual refers to as the USB Header on
    > page 2-30) on USB_56 and USB_78. The manual has the pins labeled as
    > USB+5V, USB+5V, USB_P5-, USB_P6-, USB_P5+, USB_P6+, GND, and GND.
    > However, there are only 4 leads from each USB port on the case. They
    > are +5V, +D, -D, and GND.
    >
    > So why do I have 4 leads to go onto 8 pins and what goes where?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Peter

    There are two USB interfaces on the USB_56 header and
    two USB interfaces on the USB_78 header.

    Connect your four wires to the right hand column of four
    pins (plus NC = no_connect) or to the left hand column
    of four pins.

    The two "sides" of the USB56 header.
    One four wire USB interface goes on each side.

    1 +5v USB+5V USB+5V 2 +5v
    1 -D USB_P5- USB_P6- 2 -D
    1 +D USB_P5+ USB_P6+ 2 +D
    1 ground GND GND 2 ground
    ^ NC

    Missing pin ---+

    HTH,
    Paul

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrotd:

    >In article <k60g70psb4phafrucd7166vtmd30mmrda3@4ax.com>, Peter Kronenberg
    ><pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I just got an Asus P4P800. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up
    >> the front USB ports (what the manual refers to as the USB Header on
    >> page 2-30) on USB_56 and USB_78. The manual has the pins labeled as
    >> USB+5V, USB+5V, USB_P5-, USB_P6-, USB_P5+, USB_P6+, GND, and GND.
    >> However, there are only 4 leads from each USB port on the case. They
    >> are +5V, +D, -D, and GND.
    >>
    >> So why do I have 4 leads to go onto 8 pins and what goes where?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> Peter
    >
    >There are two USB interfaces on the USB_56 header and
    >two USB interfaces on the USB_78 header.
    >
    >Connect your four wires to the right hand column of four
    >pins (plus NC = no_connect) or to the left hand column
    >of four pins.
    >
    > The two "sides" of the USB56 header.
    > One four wire USB interface goes on each side.
    >
    >1 +5v USB+5V USB+5V 2 +5v
    >1 -D USB_P5- USB_P6- 2 -D
    >1 +D USB_P5+ USB_P6+ 2 +D
    >1 ground GND GND 2 ground
    > ^ NC
    > |
    >Missing pin ---+
    >
    >HTH,
    > Paul

    Thanks! That helps a lot

    Peter

    "Peter Kronenberg" <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote in message
    > I just got an Asus P4P800. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up
    > the front USB ports (what the manual refers to as the USB Header on
    > page 2-30) on USB_56 and USB_78. The manual has the pins labeled as
    > USB+5V, USB+5V, USB_P5-, USB_P6-, USB_P5+, USB_P6+, GND, and GND.
    > However, there are only 4 leads from each USB port on the case. They
    > are +5V, +D, -D, and GND.
    >
    > So why do I have 4 leads to go onto 8 pins and what goes where?

    You have USB 1.1 connectors on your case, but your board uses USB 2.0.

    "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@microsoft.com> wrotd:

    >"Peter Kronenberg" <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote in message
    >> I just got an Asus P4P800. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up
    >> the front USB ports (what the manual refers to as the USB Header on
    >> page 2-30) on USB_56 and USB_78. The manual has the pins labeled as
    >> USB+5V, USB+5V, USB_P5-, USB_P6-, USB_P5+, USB_P6+, GND, and GND.
    >> However, there are only 4 leads from each USB port on the case. They
    >> are +5V, +D, -D, and GND.
    >>
    >> So why do I have 4 leads to go onto 8 pins and what goes where?
    >
    >You have USB 1.1 connectors on your case, but your board uses USB 2.0.

    Does that mean I can't use them? Is there any physicall difference
    between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0?

    In article <i13j70hrf4174rihsh9an99gfqmb8qddh9@4ax.com>, Peter Kronenberg
    <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote:

    > "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@microsoft.com> wrotd:
    >
    > >"Peter Kronenberg" <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote in message
    > >> I just got an Asus P4P800. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up
    > >> the front USB ports (what the manual refers to as the USB Header on
    > >> page 2-30) on USB_56 and USB_78. The manual has the pins labeled as
    > >> USB+5V, USB+5V, USB_P5-, USB_P6-, USB_P5+, USB_P6+, GND, and GND.
    > >> However, there are only 4 leads from each USB port on the case. They
    > >> are +5V, +D, -D, and GND.
    > >>
    > >> So why do I have 4 leads to go onto 8 pins and what goes where?
    > >
    > >You have USB 1.1 connectors on your case, but your board uses USB 2.0.
    > >

    > Does that mean I can't use them? Is there any physicall difference
    > between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0?

    USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB 1.1.

    Both carry +5V down the cable, to power bus powered devices with
    a maximum of 0.5 amps.

    A USB 2.0 device will talk at USB 1.1 rates for a short interval
    during the setup of the device.

    A USB 1.1 device uses differential signalling (that is why there
    is a D+ and a D- signal). The signals on the wires are the inverse
    of one another. The amplitude is based on up to 3.3V signal swing
    (i.e. the I/O pins are powered by what looks like a regulated 3.3V
    source, possibly regulated from the bus power +5V signal).

    A USB 2.0 device, when talking at 480Mb/sec, pumps current into the
    line, such that 0.4V is developed. In a sense, it uses differential
    signalling as in USB 1.1, but the signals are smaller in amplitude.
    The smaller amplitude reduces electrical interference with devices
    external to the cable.

    About the only question you have to ask of your equipment, is whether
    the components are rated to carry a 480Mb/sec signal. Due to the
    legacy of USB 1.1 devices, there are still components around,
    such as the wiring on the case of your computer, that may only
    be suitable for carrying the lower speed signals. To carry 480Mb/sec
    requires good transmission line quality cable that controls the
    impedance and loss over the length of the cable.

    For example, if the case has long lengths of loose wires for the
    D+ and D-, that spells doom for the USB 2.0 signals. Loose wires
    must be kept very short, and the majority of the wire should
    be shielded.

    For example, look at the way this Asus USB/Game Port bracket is
    constructed. There is only a short length of unshielded wire
    near the blue connector. The rest of the wire is carefully
    shielded.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-131-206-01.JPG

    If your USB wiring has a lot of loose looking wires like some
    of the cables in this picture, it is less likely to work at
    USB 2.0 rates.

    http://www.jmallard.com/MyComputer/LianLiUSB.htm

    In the case of Antec, people have been contacting Antec and
    getting a replacement USB assembly rated for use at USB 2.0
    rates.

    When the wiring is bad, I presume what happens is the equipment
    tries to run at USB 2.0, get a lot of CRC errors, and downshifts
    to USB 1.1 rates. Obviously, your chipset has to support USB 2.0
    to even try to use the protocol, and you need an "Enhanced" entry
    in the USB entries of the Device Manager to indicate that a
    USB 2.0 driver is installed.

    The standards are here (I didn't read the whole thing today...)

    http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20.zip (650 pages)
    http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usbspec.zip (327 pages)

    HTH,
    Paul

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >A USB 2.0 device will talk at USB 1.1 rates for a short interval
    >during the setup of the device.

    So, is there anyway to test whether your USB ports are running at full
    speed, or if they will properly support 2.0?

    In article <5unj70dbvmu3kdffgubfddpd759ltin4ki@4ax.com>, Peter Kronenberg
    <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote:

    > nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >

    > >A USB 2.0 device will talk at USB 1.1 rates for a short interval
    > >during the setup of the device.
    > >
    > So, is there anyway to test whether your USB ports are running at full
    > speed, or if they will properly support 2.0?

    I haven't heard of a way to do it.

    The question is, whether the USB interface on the Southbridge or
    on some PCI USB chip, has a counter that can count the CRC errors
    detected on the line. If you could gain access to that counter,
    that would be the key to testing the cable. For example, if
    a USB2 disk drive is connected to a cable, and then you transfer
    lots of data to the disk, the USB CRC counter would be a good
    way to evaluate the quality of the interconnect.

    I suspect this is just a matter of no one bothering to write
    an application to do this.

    Perhaps the USBHSET toolkit can do this ? Give it a try and
    tell us whether it can do such a test. (I don't have any USB2
    devices to test right now.)
    http://www.usb.org/developers/tools#usbhset

    This site has some info on USB2:
    http://usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm

    Paul

    > "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@microsoft.com> wrotd:
    >
    > >"Peter Kronenberg" <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote in message
    > >> I just got an Asus P4P800. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up
    > >> the front USB ports (what the manual refers to as the USB Header on
    > >> page 2-30) on USB_56 and USB_78. The manual has the pins labeled as
    > >> USB+5V, USB+5V, USB_P5-, USB_P6-, USB_P5+, USB_P6+, GND, and GND.
    > >> However, there are only 4 leads from each USB port on the case. They
    > >> are +5V, +D, -D, and GND.
    > >>
    > >> So why do I have 4 leads to go onto 8 pins and what goes where?
    > >
    > >You have USB 1.1 connectors on your case, but your board uses USB 2.0.
    > >

    > Does that mean I can't use them? Is there any physicall difference
    > between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0?

    Actually I'm not sure. I think maybe the second row of pins is just to
    connect two USB ports at a time.

Asus USB Motherboards