UDMA-6 on P4P800D?

Hello group,

I have a P4P800 deluxe.
1 80G Seagate SATA drive with Win XP pro (SP1) on it (it is the boot
drive).
1 PATA drive with data on it.
No RAID.

Diagnostics tools like aida32 or SiSoft Sandra report maximum UDMA transfer
mode (for my SATA drive) to be UDMA-6 (ATA-133), but the current active mode
is reported as UDMA-5 (ATA-100).

Is there anything I can do to get this drive to use ATA-133?

Thanks,

Navid

"Navid" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:CVWdc.13626$So3.474032@twister.southeast.rr.com...

> Is there anything I can do to get this drive to use ATA-133?

Windows XP pro/home will load and report only upto ata 100,
Windows 2003 Server and WinXP SP2 will load drivers to bring
upto ata 133 (udma6). There is an XP SP2 RC1 available for
download now via Microsoft updates, works fine.

--
'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck

NT Canuck wrote:
> There is an XP SP2 RC1 available for download now via Microsoft
updates, works fine.
--
Umm ... XP SP2 RC1 (Service Pack 2, Release Candidate 1) is still in
beta ... and not yet available for general download.

Having said that, yes, SP2 will display UDMA6 ... and should be
available 'soon'.
--
HTH - Fred

Wrong

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

"FredP" <fpouy*NOSPAM*@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> NT Canuck wrote:
> > There is an XP SP2 RC1 available for download now via Microsoft
> updates, works fine.
> --
> Umm ... XP SP2 RC1 (Service Pack 2, Release Candidate 1) is still in
> beta ... and not yet available for general download.
>
> Having said that, yes, SP2 will display UDMA6 ... and should be
> available 'soon'.
> --
> HTH - Fred

"Navid" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello group,
>
> I have a P4P800 deluxe.
> 1 80G Seagate SATA drive with Win XP pro (SP1) on it (it is the boot
> drive).
> 1 PATA drive with data on it.
> No RAID.
>
> Diagnostics tools like aida32 or SiSoft Sandra report maximum UDMA
transfer
> mode (for my SATA drive) to be UDMA-6 (ATA-133), but the current active
mode
> is reported as UDMA-5 (ATA-100).
>
> Is there anything I can do to get this drive to use ATA-133?

Connect your drives to the VIA RAID controller, which also functions as a
normal ATA133 IDE controller.

"FredP" <fpouy*NOSPAM*@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> NT Canuck wrote:
> > There is an XP SP2 RC1 available for download now via Microsoft
> updates, works fine.
> --
> Umm ... XP SP2 RC1 (Service Pack 2, Release Candidate 1) is still in
> beta ... and not yet available for general download.
>
> Having said that, yes, SP2 will display UDMA6 ... and should be
> available 'soon'.

Except the Intel ICH5 doesn't support UDMA6 anyway, it only supports UDMA5.

If you want UDMA6 then use the VID RAID controller.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 18:20:18 GMT, "Navid" <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Hello group,
>
>I have a P4P800 deluxe.
>1 80G Seagate SATA drive with Win XP pro (SP1) on it (it is the boot
>drive).
>1 PATA drive with data on it.
>No RAID.
>
>Diagnostics tools like aida32 or SiSoft Sandra report maximum UDMA transfer
>mode (for my SATA drive) to be UDMA-6 (ATA-133), but the current active mode
>is reported as UDMA-5 (ATA-100).
>
>Is there anything I can do to get this drive to use ATA-133?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Navid

I have a Samsung 130GB drive running at ATA133 on my VIA RAID
connector. I noticed the difference right away. Move your hard drive
connector to the VIA connector and change your BIOS setting.

The beta SP2 does have it's good points. Improved firewall, pop-up blocker,
just to name 2. But the Media Player does not stream wmv or wma (plus a
couple other types) files off the internet properly from websites. Microsoft
says they have not "coded" it properly. It just opens up another window of
text instead. You end up having to save it to the hard drive, then it plays
properly......

Jim