Greetings,

I flashed the 1011 bios in successfully onto an old a7v board, from the
original 1004. The board had a slight problem as in I have to run the CPU
fan off the power supply using an adapter, as the mobo cpu fan connector is
dead for some unknown reason.

As I said the bios flash worked fine, rebooted, loaded default settings,
rebooted, no problems. Then I made a fatal error:/ I enabled the CPU fan
check option, forgetting that my CPU fan is now powered off the PSU and not
the mobo. So as soon as I rebooted again, all I get now is a medium length
beep, no post, and then immediate power down :(

I tried clearing the CMOS to no effect. I though this would reset the bios
back to defaults again? I took the battery out for a few mins, no effect.

Is there any other way to reset the bios to defaults or get this board
working again, without having to reprogram the bios or similar? Or am I
totally screwed until the mobo bios is replaced? TIA

--
bIO

Peter Boyce wrote:

> Is there any other way to reset the bios to defaults or get this board
> working again, without having to reprogram the bios or similar? Or am
> I totally screwed until the mobo bios is replaced? TIA

If CPU fan check is enabled by default, you cannot change that with a new
BIOS chip. Well, maybe the default option can be modified in the BIOS image.
Even if the CPU fan header is dead, ie it's not providing power, the fan
speed sensing is maybe intact, as this is another pin. Several PSU fans f.ex
are powered from elsewhere, but have a fan sensing output that can be
connected to a mobo fan header reading out the rpm.
If you have something like that, or another fan of any type with
rpm-sensing, you can wire it to draw power from a molex connector, but
connect the sens_wire and ground_wire to the cpu fan header.
Worth a try.

Peter Boyce wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I flashed the 1011 bios in successfully onto an old a7v board, from the
> original 1004. The board had a slight problem as in I have to run the CPU
> fan off the power supply using an adapter, as the mobo cpu fan connector is
> dead for some unknown reason.
>
> As I said the bios flash worked fine, rebooted, loaded default settings,
> rebooted, no problems. Then I made a fatal error:/ I enabled the CPU fan
> check option, forgetting that my CPU fan is now powered off the PSU and not
> the mobo. So as soon as I rebooted again, all I get now is a medium length
> beep, no post, and then immediate power down :(
>
> I tried clearing the CMOS to no effect. I though this would reset the bios
> back to defaults again? I took the battery out for a few mins, no effect.
>
> Is there any other way to reset the bios to defaults or get this board
> working again, without having to reprogram the bios or similar? Or am I
> totally screwed until the mobo bios is replaced? TIA
>
> --
> bIO

First of all, when you clear the CMOS by shorting the jumpers (or solder
pads) or when you unplug the battery, you should make sure that AC power
is disconnected (i.e. if your power supply doesn't have an on/off
switch, unplug the cord). Soft-off mode won't cut it because the 5VSB
line is still active and maintaining CMOS contents regarldess of the
battery's status.
Assuming you have properly cleared the CMOS you shouldn't have a problem
because the logical default setting for the FAN CHECK option is OFF.

The other thing you can try of course is to plug the CPU's fan connector
into one of the other fan connectors on the motherboard (with support
for RPM sensing of course, the chipset's fan connector might not support
RPM sensing). If the fan's wires aren't long enough, you can temporarily
unscrew the fan from the heatsink, it won't do any harm for the little
time required to enter the BIOS and alter the setting.

Regards
Nikos

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, however the wiring solutions are a bit
beyond me.

Nikolaos, I'm sure I'm clearing the CMOS correctly, but it's not having any
effect. I'm still getting a medium length beep and no post, and immediate
power off. I tried connecting the PSU fan to the other fan connectors on the
mobo, but none of them seem to work. I'm thinking the bios update may indeed
not have been successful afterall :( I think I am clearing the CMOS
correctly, my box does have a PSU off switch, but I have also taken out the
AC power lead as an added step. I then cross the 2 solder points with a
piece of metal (flat screwdriver) before inserting the AC lead and switching
the PSU on again. When I get contact between the 2 points, there is no power
on, I assume this is when the CMOS solder points are shorted, and CMOS is
cleared? Then I power on as normal. Is this the correct way to clear the
CMOS?

--
bIO

Unplug from mains supply, remove CMOS battery and leave overnight.....

Guy

Peter Boyce wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions everyone, however the wiring solutions are
> a bit beyond me.
>
> Nikolaos, I'm sure I'm clearing the CMOS correctly, but it's not
> having any effect. I'm still getting a medium length beep and no
> post, and immediate power off. I tried connecting the PSU fan to the
> other fan connectors on the mobo, but none of them seem to work. I'm
> thinking the bios update may indeed not have been successful afterall
> :( I think I am clearing the CMOS correctly, my box does have a PSU
> off switch, but I have also taken out the AC power lead as an added
> step. I then cross the 2 solder points with a piece of metal (flat
> screwdriver) before inserting the AC lead and switching the PSU on
> again. When I get contact between the 2 points, there is no power on,
> I assume this is when the CMOS solder points are shorted, and CMOS is
> cleared? Then I power on as normal. Is this the correct way to clear
> the CMOS?

TRENDING THREADS