Headphones vs Speakers

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

For some reason I have to enable the digital CD audio box in hardware properties to hear sound through the speakers and uncheck the box to listen to sound through the headphones from the CD ROM unit. Can anyone tell me why I can't simply plug in my headphones to the CD unit with out having to uncheck or check this box for digital CD audio?

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/Rick/ said:

> For some reason I have to enable the digital CD audio box in hardware properties to hear sound through the speakers and uncheck the box to listen to sound through the headphones from the CD ROM unit. Can anyone tell me why I can't simply plug in my headphones to the CD unit with out having to uncheck or check this box for digital CD audio?

The headphone path is apparently analog.
The path from the CD to the soundcard is apparently only digital, and not
wired for analog.

Here, with an older card, ONLY analog works for that function.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org