USB device causes XP to hang after 'random' interval

Attaching any USB device (CDRW, printer, camera, mouse) causes my XP pro,
notebook to hang after an apparently random interval. The devices all work
properly until this point. Sometimes just explorer hangs, but often it is
the whole system (static image, mouse pointer stationary, no hard disk
activity...).

I have searched the web and microsofts knowledge base but I have not found
anyone with similat problems. I have a complex system so I don't want to
re-install if it is not absolutely necessary. Any ideas out there?

Dave
4 answers Last reply
More about device hang random interval

    Dave, disconnect all your USB devices or at least most of them and rt
    click MyComputer>select Prop>
    Hardware>Device Manager>USB Controllers. rt click on each one and choose
    Uninstall. Restart. Let
    XP reinstall them. Also, check here. http://tinyurl.com/275h6

    "Dave" <daveandniki@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Attaching any USB device (CDRW, printer, camera, mouse) causes my XP pro,
    > notebook to hang after an apparently random interval. The devices all work
    > properly until this point. Sometimes just explorer hangs, but often it is
    > the whole system (static image, mouse pointer stationary, no hard disk
    > activity...).
    >
    > I have searched the web and microsofts knowledge base but I have not found
    > anyone with similat problems. I have a complex system so I don't want to
    > re-install if it is not absolutely necessary. Any ideas out there?
    >
    > Dave

    Thanks, but I have already tried this - and all the relevant things in the
    KB. Looks like I need to reinstall.

    "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Dave, disconnect all your USB devices or at least most of them and rt
    > click MyComputer>select Prop>
    > Hardware>Device Manager>USB Controllers. rt click on each one and
    choose
    > Uninstall. Restart. Let
    > XP reinstall them. Also, check here. http://tinyurl.com/275h6
    >

    > "Dave" <daveandniki@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Attaching any USB device (CDRW, printer, camera, mouse) causes my XP
    pro,
    > > notebook to hang after an apparently random interval. The devices all
    work
    > > properly until this point. Sometimes just explorer hangs, but often it
    is
    > > the whole system (static image, mouse pointer stationary, no hard disk
    > > activity...).
    > >
    > > I have searched the web and microsofts knowledge base but I have not
    found
    > > anyone with similat problems. I have a complex system so I don't want to
    > > re-install if it is not absolutely necessary. Any ideas out there?
    > >
    > > Dave

    Have you looked at power management?

    | Thanks, but I have already tried this - and all the
    relevant things in the
    | KB. Looks like I need to reinstall.
    |

    | "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    | > Dave, disconnect all your USB devices or at least most
    of them and rt
    | > click MyComputer>select Prop>
    | > Hardware>Device Manager>USB Controllers. rt click on
    each one and
    | choose
    | > Uninstall. Restart. Let
    | > XP reinstall them. Also, check here.
    http://tinyurl.com/275h6

    | > "Dave" <daveandniki@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    | > > Attaching any USB device (CDRW, printer, camera,
    mouse) causes my XP
    | pro,
    | > > notebook to hang after an apparently random interval.
    The devices all
    | work
    | > > properly until this point. Sometimes just explorer
    hangs, but often it
    | is
    | > > the whole system (static image, mouse pointer
    stationary, no hard disk
    | > > activity...).
    | > >
    | > > I have searched the web and microsofts knowledge base
    but I have not
    | found
    | > > anyone with similat problems. I have a complex system
    so I don't want to
    | > > re-install if it is not absolutely necessary. Any
    ideas out there?

    | > > Dave

    Yes, I have disabled it in the BIOS and only allow windows to turn the
    monitor off after 10 mins when on external power. I seem to have tried
    everything that is suggested (and possible on a notebook) without success.

    > Have you looked at power management?

    > "Dave" <daveandniki@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > | Thanks, but I have already tried this - and all the
    > relevant things in the
    > | KB. Looks like I need to reinstall.
    > |

    > | "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > | > Dave, disconnect all your USB devices or at least most
    > of them and rt
    > | > click MyComputer>select Prop>
    > | > Hardware>Device Manager>USB Controllers. rt click on
    > each one and
    > | choose
    > | > Uninstall. Restart. Let
    > | > XP reinstall them. Also, check here.