USB device causes XP to hang after 'random' interval

April 27, 2004 5:42:49 PM

Attaching any USB device (CDRW, printer, camera, mouse) causes my XP pro,
notebook to hang after an apparently random interval. The devices all work
properly until this point. Sometimes just explorer hangs, but often it is
the whole system (static image, mouse pointer stationary, no hard disk
activity...).

I have searched the web and microsofts knowledge base but I have not found
anyone with similat problems. I have a complex system so I don't want to
re-install if it is not absolutely necessary. Any ideas out there?

Dave
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 10:48:04 PM

Dave, disconnect all your USB devices or at least most of them and rt
click MyComputer>select Prop>
Hardware>Device Manager>USB Controllers. rt click on each one and choose
Uninstall. Restart. Let
XP reinstall them. Also, check here. http://tinyurl.com/275h6

"Dave" <daveandniki@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Attaching any USB device (CDRW, printer, camera, mouse) causes my XP pro,
> notebook to hang after an apparently random interval. The devices all work
> properly until this point. Sometimes just explorer hangs, but often it is
> the whole system (static image, mouse pointer stationary, no hard disk
> activity...).
>
> I have searched the web and microsofts knowledge base but I have not found
> anyone with similat problems. I have a complex system so I don't want to
> re-install if it is not absolutely necessary. Any ideas out there?
>
> Dave

April 28, 2004 5:45:58 PM

Thanks, but I have already tried this - and all the relevant things in the
KB. Looks like I need to reinstall.

"Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Dave, disconnect all your USB devices or at least most of them and rt
> click MyComputer>select Prop>
> Hardware>Device Manager>USB Controllers. rt click on each one and
choose
> Uninstall. Restart. Let
> XP reinstall them. Also, check here. http://tinyurl.com/275h6
>

> "Dave" <daveandniki@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Attaching any USB device (CDRW, printer, camera, mouse) causes my XP
pro,
> > notebook to hang after an apparently random interval. The devices all
work
> > properly until this point. Sometimes just explorer hangs, but often it
is
> > the whole system (static image, mouse pointer stationary, no hard disk
> > activity...).
> >
> > I have searched the web and microsofts knowledge base but I have not
found
> > anyone with similat problems. I have a complex system so I don't want to
> > re-install if it is not absolutely necessary. Any ideas out there?
> >
> > Dave

April 28, 2004 5:45:59 PM

Have you looked at power management?

| Thanks, but I have already tried this - and all the
relevant things in the
| KB. Looks like I need to reinstall.
|

| "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
| > Dave, disconnect all your USB devices or at least most
of them and rt
| > click MyComputer>select Prop>
| > Hardware>Device Manager>USB Controllers. rt click on
each one and
| choose
| > Uninstall. Restart. Let
| > XP reinstall them. Also, check here.
http://tinyurl.com/275h6

| > "Dave" <daveandniki@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
| > > Attaching any USB device (CDRW, printer, camera,
mouse) causes my XP
| pro,
| > > notebook to hang after an apparently random interval.
The devices all
| work
| > > properly until this point. Sometimes just explorer
hangs, but often it
| is
| > > the whole system (static image, mouse pointer
stationary, no hard disk
| > > activity...).
| > >
| > > I have searched the web and microsofts knowledge base
but I have not
| found
| > > anyone with similat problems. I have a complex system
so I don't want to
| > > re-install if it is not absolutely necessary. Any
ideas out there?

| > > Dave

April 28, 2004 10:12:30 PM

Yes, I have disabled it in the BIOS and only allow windows to turn the
monitor off after 10 mins when on external power. I seem to have tried
everything that is suggested (and possible on a notebook) without success.

news:o 6f82VSLEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

!