HP Laserjet no longer on network. Ideas?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
April 11, 2004 3:14:33 PM

I have a LaserJet 8000 with a JetDirect J3113A card installed. On
Thursday, I could print easily to it. On Saturday, I could not. I
can't ping it. It does not appear as an Appletalk printer (I use
Macs). On the JetDirect configuration page TCP/IP status is ready, as
is Appletalk. The printer's network cable works fine. I can plug it
into my laptop and have full network access.

When I turn the printer of and on, the activity light on its hub
flashes on momentarily (or, so says my eight year old son).

Any suggestions? Are there any diagnostics I can run on the card?

More about : laserjet longer network ideas

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 12, 2004 10:14:10 PM

GB wrote:

> I have a LaserJet 8000 with a JetDirect J3113A card installed. On
> Thursday, I could print easily to it. On Saturday, I could not. I
> can't ping it. It does not appear as an Appletalk printer (I use
> Macs). On the JetDirect configuration page TCP/IP status is ready, as
> is Appletalk. The printer's network cable works fine. I can plug it
> into my laptop and have full network access.
>
> When I turn the printer of and on, the activity light on its hub
> flashes on momentarily (or, so says my eight year old son).
>
> Any suggestions? Are there any diagnostics I can run on the card?
Try a different port on your hub. Check that the printer's IP address
and associated addresses are correct - Ready is not enough.
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 13, 2004 12:05:28 AM

Print a configuration page, then you can telnet into the print server, and
set a static IP address on your network.

--irv segal
iceeagle.spammenot@comcast.net

"GB" <gbeb@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I have a LaserJet 8000 with a JetDirect J3113A card installed. On
> Thursday, I could print easily to it. On Saturday, I could not. I
> can't ping it. It does not appear as an Appletalk printer (I use
> Macs). On the JetDirect configuration page TCP/IP status is ready, as
> is Appletalk. The printer's network cable works fine. I can plug it
> into my laptop and have full network access.
>
> When I turn the printer of and on, the activity light on its hub
> flashes on momentarily (or, so says my eight year old son).
>
> Any suggestions? Are there any diagnostics I can run on the card?
Related resources
April 13, 2004 11:23:01 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it already has a static IP
and I can't even ping it.

My wife says that last week she had to jiggle the ethernet cable to
get it to work. Since two cables failed with the printer but
succeeded with my laptop, I keep coming back to the card and some
connection in it. But, I don't know how to get a confirming test.

Gary

"Irv Segal" <iceeagle.spammenot@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<gK6dnRO01rBUs-bdRVn-sw@comcast.com>...
> Print a configuration page, then you can telnet into the print server, and
> set a static IP address on your network.
>
> --irv segal
> iceeagle.spammenot@comcast.net
>
> "GB" <gbeb@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > I have a LaserJet 8000 with a JetDirect J3113A card installed. On
> > Thursday, I could print easily to it. On Saturday, I could not. I
> > can't ping it. It does not appear as an Appletalk printer (I use
> > Macs). On the JetDirect configuration page TCP/IP status is ready, as
> > is Appletalk. The printer's network cable works fine. I can plug it
> > into my laptop and have full network access.
> >
> > When I turn the printer of and on, the activity light on its hub
> > flashes on momentarily (or, so says my eight year old son).
> >
> > Any suggestions? Are there any diagnostics I can run on the card?
April 13, 2004 11:24:52 AM

Thanks for the recommendation Bennet. I tried different hub ports. I
even tried hooking up my laptop directly to the printer with a
crossover cable. IP address is fine. Still no go.

Gary

Bennett Price <bjpriceNOSPAM@itsa.ucsf.edu> wrote in message news:<S%Aec.36127$w34.4919@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
> GB wrote:
>
> > I have a LaserJet 8000 with a JetDirect J3113A card installed. On
> > Thursday, I could print easily to it. On Saturday, I could not. I
> > can't ping it. It does not appear as an Appletalk printer (I use
> > Macs). On the JetDirect configuration page TCP/IP status is ready, as
> > is Appletalk. The printer's network cable works fine. I can plug it
> > into my laptop and have full network access.
> >
> > When I turn the printer of and on, the activity light on its hub
> > flashes on momentarily (or, so says my eight year old son).
> >
> > Any suggestions? Are there any diagnostics I can run on the card?
> Try a different port on your hub. Check that the printer's IP address
> and associated addresses are correct - Ready is not enough.
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 15, 2004 7:34:55 PM

GB wrote:
> Thanks for the recommendation Bennet. I tried different hub ports. I
> even tried hooking up my laptop directly to the printer with a
> crossover cable. IP address is fine. Still no go.
>
> Gary
>
> Bennett Price <bjpriceNOSPAM@itsa.ucsf.edu> wrote in message news:<S%Aec.36127$w34.4919@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
>
>>GB wrote:
>>

>>>I have a LaserJet 8000 with a JetDirect J3113A card installed. On
>>>Thursday, I could print easily to it. On Saturday, I could not. I
>>>can't ping it. It does not appear as an Appletalk printer (I use
>>>Macs). On the JetDirect configuration page TCP/IP status is ready, as
>>>is Appletalk. The printer's network cable works fine. I can plug it
>>>into my laptop and have full network access.
>>>
>>>When I turn the printer of and on, the activity light on its hub
>>>flashes on momentarily (or, so says my eight year old son).
>>>
>>>Any suggestions? Are there any diagnostics I can run on the card?
>>
>>Try a different port on your hub. Check that the printer's IP address
>>and associated addresses are correct - Ready is not enough.
Are you using any sort of Firewall software that might be preventing the
PC from seeing the printer?
!