HP Laserjet no longer on network. Ideas?

I have a LaserJet 8000 with a JetDirect J3113A card installed. On
Thursday, I could print easily to it. On Saturday, I could not. I
can't ping it. It does not appear as an Appletalk printer (I use
Macs). On the JetDirect configuration page TCP/IP status is ready, as
is Appletalk. The printer's network cable works fine. I can plug it
into my laptop and have full network access.

When I turn the printer of and on, the activity light on its hub
flashes on momentarily (or, so says my eight year old son).

Any suggestions? Are there any diagnostics I can run on the card?
5 answers Last reply
More about laserjet longer network ideas

    GB wrote:

    > I have a LaserJet 8000 with a JetDirect J3113A card installed. On
    > Thursday, I could print easily to it. On Saturday, I could not. I
    > can't ping it. It does not appear as an Appletalk printer (I use
    > Macs). On the JetDirect configuration page TCP/IP status is ready, as
    > is Appletalk. The printer's network cable works fine. I can plug it
    > into my laptop and have full network access.
    >
    > When I turn the printer of and on, the activity light on its hub
    > flashes on momentarily (or, so says my eight year old son).
    >
    > Any suggestions? Are there any diagnostics I can run on the card?
    Try a different port on your hub. Check that the printer's IP address
    and associated addresses are correct - Ready is not enough.

    Print a configuration page, then you can telnet into the print server, and
    set a static IP address on your network.

    --irv segal
    iceeagle.spammenot@comcast.net

    "GB" <gbeb@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > I have a LaserJet 8000 with a JetDirect J3113A card installed. On
    > Thursday, I could print easily to it. On Saturday, I could not. I
    > can't ping it. It does not appear as an Appletalk printer (I use
    > Macs). On the JetDirect configuration page TCP/IP status is ready, as
    > is Appletalk. The printer's network cable works fine. I can plug it
    > into my laptop and have full network access.
    >
    > When I turn the printer of and on, the activity light on its hub
    > flashes on momentarily (or, so says my eight year old son).
    >
    > Any suggestions? Are there any diagnostics I can run on the card?

    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it already has a static IP
    and I can't even ping it.

    My wife says that last week she had to jiggle the ethernet cable to
    get it to work. Since two cables failed with the printer but
    succeeded with my laptop, I keep coming back to the card and some
    connection in it. But, I don't know how to get a confirming test.

    Gary

    "Irv Segal" <iceeagle.spammenot@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<gK6dnRO01rBUs-bdRVn-sw@comcast.com>...
    > Print a configuration page, then you can telnet into the print server, and
    > set a static IP address on your network.
    >
    > --irv segal
    > iceeagle.spammenot@comcast.net
    >
    > "GB" <gbeb@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a LaserJet 8000 with a JetDirect J3113A card installed. On
    > > Thursday, I could print easily to it. On Saturday, I could not. I
    > > can't ping it. It does not appear as an Appletalk printer (I use
    > > Macs). On the JetDirect configuration page TCP/IP status is ready, as
    > > is Appletalk. The printer's network cable works fine. I can plug it
    > > into my laptop and have full network access.
    > >
    > > When I turn the printer of and on, the activity light on its hub
    > > flashes on momentarily (or, so says my eight year old son).
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? Are there any diagnostics I can run on the card?

    Thanks for the recommendation Bennet. I tried different hub ports. I
    even tried hooking up my laptop directly to the printer with a
    crossover cable. IP address is fine. Still no go.

    Gary

    GB wrote:
    > Thanks for the recommendation Bennet. I tried different hub ports. I
    > even tried hooking up my laptop directly to the printer with a
    > crossover cable. IP address is fine. Still no go.
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > Bennett Price <bjpriceNOSPAM@itsa.ucsf.edu> wrote in message news:<S%Aec.36127$w34.4919@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
    >
    >>GB wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a LaserJet 8000 with a JetDirect J3113A card installed. On
    >>>Thursday, I could print easily to it. On Saturday, I could not. I
    >>>can't ping it. It does not appear as an Appletalk printer (I use
    >>>Macs). On the JetDirect configuration page TCP/IP status is ready, as
    >>>is Appletalk. The printer's network cable works fine. I can plug it
    >>>into my laptop and have full network access.
    >>>
    >>>When I turn the printer of and on, the activity light on its hub
    >>>flashes on momentarily (or, so says my eight year old son).
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions? Are there any diagnostics I can run on the card?
    >>
    >>Try a different port on your hub. Check that the printer's IP address
    >>and associated addresses are correct - Ready is not enough.
    Are you using any sort of Firewall software that might be preventing the
    PC from seeing the printer?

Printers Hewlett Packard Laserjet Peripherals