Bridging the wireless and other connections

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 1, 2004 3:57:02 AM

Hi Folks,
need some help with bridging.
My home network setup is the following:
ADSL ASUS modem router IP 192.168.0.1 setup as a DHCP enabled for the range
192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.100
wire connected to
wireless DLink access point AP900+ IP 192.168.0.3 DHCP server disabled
and three PCs on Dling DWL 520 wireless network adapters operated by WXP Pro
SP2
fixed IP addresses 192.168.0.4 - 192.168.0.6
DNS set on each to 192.168.0.1 (the ASUS router)
subnetmasks for each component of the network 255.255.255.0

comment: for the setup I should not need the router be set as a DHCP server
but if I disable it I loose Internet connectivity, probably access to DNS
servers is lost in this case so I have it enabled eventhough no address is
effectively assigned to any PC (these are manually set as described above)
----------------

Now, if I bridge on any PC a wireless adapter with any other network
adapter, say 1394 one (but for ethrnet adapters it is about the same) I loose
my internet connectivity (can not access say www.ibm.com and even the HTTP
192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.3 accesses to the ASUS router and Dlink AP do not
function). The newly established bridge shows a strange external IP address
169.254.114.169 with a different subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and there is no DNS
address assigned.

If I manually edit the IP and DNS addresses in the property sheet of the
Bridge to make them
192.168.0.6 and 192.168.0.1 respeectively the situation is not any better.
No internet, no HTTP acces to the router and/or the wireless access point.

If I delete the bridge and REPAIR the wireless connection, everything is
back and OK again. Bridging to connections probably somehow destroys access
to DNS servers and so to the Internet (my amateur understanding and
explanation of what I am observing).
Can anyone help or give a lead,pls?
Many thanks for any assistance.
December 1, 2004 2:53:17 PM

Bridging usually happens if you use the network wizard. If you must use the
wizard then
Tell the Wizard that the computers connect to the Internet "through a
residential gateway" (router). Other options, like "directly to the
Internet" or "through a network hub" will block file and printer
sharing. Also this KB
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283429
"Proki" <Proki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
> need some help with bridging.
> My home network setup is the following:
> ADSL ASUS modem router IP 192.168.0.1 setup as a DHCP enabled for the
> range
> 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.100
> wire connected to
> wireless DLink access point AP900+ IP 192.168.0.3 DHCP server disabled
> and three PCs on Dling DWL 520 wireless network adapters operated by WXP
> Pro
> SP2
> fixed IP addresses 192.168.0.4 - 192.168.0.6
> DNS set on each to 192.168.0.1 (the ASUS router)
> subnetmasks for each component of the network 255.255.255.0
>
> comment: for the setup I should not need the router be set as a DHCP
> server
> but if I disable it I loose Internet connectivity, probably access to DNS
> servers is lost in this case so I have it enabled eventhough no address is
> effectively assigned to any PC (these are manually set as described above)
> ----------------
>
> Now, if I bridge on any PC a wireless adapter with any other network
> adapter, say 1394 one (but for ethrnet adapters it is about the same) I
> loose
> my internet connectivity (can not access say www.ibm.com and even the HTTP
> 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.3 accesses to the ASUS router and Dlink AP do
> not
> function). The newly established bridge shows a strange external IP
> address
> 169.254.114.169 with a different subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and there is no
> DNS
> address assigned.
>
> If I manually edit the IP and DNS addresses in the property sheet of the
> Bridge to make them
> 192.168.0.6 and 192.168.0.1 respeectively the situation is not any better.
> No internet, no HTTP acces to the router and/or the wireless access point.
>
> If I delete the bridge and REPAIR the wireless connection, everything is
> back and OK again. Bridging to connections probably somehow destroys
> access
> to DNS servers and so to the Internet (my amateur understanding and
> explanation of what I am observing).
> Can anyone help or give a lead,pls?
> Many thanks for any assistance.
December 1, 2004 8:23:51 PM

Hi

It is not clear what you are trying to achieve?

DSL Modem/Router combos are not usually as flexible as the stand alone
Routers, the DNS issue might be a shortcoming of the unit.

Using WinXP Bridging changes the way the IPs work, and it is done for a
purpose since bridging creates a Bridge between two Networks that are not on
the same IP band. It is not clear what you are trying to achieve by
bridging?

If you need to Bridge Wireless for Distance issues it is done like this:
http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Proki" <Proki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
> need some help with bridging.
> My home network setup is the following:
> ADSL ASUS modem router IP 192.168.0.1 setup as a DHCP enabled for the
range
> 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.100
> wire connected to
> wireless DLink access point AP900+ IP 192.168.0.3 DHCP server disabled
> and three PCs on Dling DWL 520 wireless network adapters operated by WXP
Pro
> SP2
> fixed IP addresses 192.168.0.4 - 192.168.0.6
> DNS set on each to 192.168.0.1 (the ASUS router)
> subnetmasks for each component of the network 255.255.255.0
>
> comment: for the setup I should not need the router be set as a DHCP
server
> but if I disable it I loose Internet connectivity, probably access to DNS
> servers is lost in this case so I have it enabled eventhough no address is
> effectively assigned to any PC (these are manually set as described above)
> ----------------
>
> Now, if I bridge on any PC a wireless adapter with any other network
> adapter, say 1394 one (but for ethrnet adapters it is about the same) I
loose
> my internet connectivity (can not access say www.ibm.com and even the HTTP
> 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.3 accesses to the ASUS router and Dlink AP do
not
> function). The newly established bridge shows a strange external IP
address
> 169.254.114.169 with a different subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and there is no
DNS
> address assigned.
>
> If I manually edit the IP and DNS addresses in the property sheet of the
> Bridge to make them
> 192.168.0.6 and 192.168.0.1 respeectively the situation is not any better.
> No internet, no HTTP acces to the router and/or the wireless access point.
>
> If I delete the bridge and REPAIR the wireless connection, everything is
> back and OK again. Bridging to connections probably somehow destroys
access
> to DNS servers and so to the Internet (my amateur understanding and
> explanation of what I am observing).
> Can anyone help or give a lead,pls?
> Many thanks for any assistance.
a b F Wireless
December 2, 2004 4:01:03 AM

Hi Tanya,
thanks for your efforts to find a cure for my prob..
My objective is rather the opposite I DO want to bridge two connections.
Actually in a wireless network on Dlink adapters I intend to interconnect two
computers in the network by an additional twisted PC to PC ethernet wire to
strenghten/double/insecure the connection between them. Think of it like a
star shaped wireless network with one Dlink access point AP 900+ in the
middle, more PCs at the and of the stars arrays two of which are
interconnected by an ethernet wire so that the communication flow between the
two concerned PCs can either go throug the air using the wireless access
point or directly by wire (set by a preference rules in WXPP SP2).
----------
I can set up the wire connection between the two computers as a separate
segment with adresses like 192.168.1.X as opposed to the wireless network
segment using the 192.168.0.x segment addresses.
I wanted to bridge the two (wireless nand wire) segments on the two PCs to
make them appear as a one address each and that was what failed. I learned
that the bridging failurre (loosing Internet connectivity) occures even in
more general cases like I described earlier , even if I wan to bridge the
wireless connection with something that simple like 1394 I just loose the
internet connectivity.
Thanks

"Tanya" wrote:

> Bridging usually happens if you use the network wizard. If you must use the
> wizard then
> Tell the Wizard that the computers connect to the Internet "through a
> residential gateway" (router). Other options, like "directly to the
> Internet" or "through a network hub" will block file and printer
> sharing. Also this KB
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283429
> "Proki" <Proki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Folks,
> > need some help with bridging.
> > My home network setup is the following:
> > ADSL ASUS modem router IP 192.168.0.1 setup as a DHCP enabled for the
> > range
> > 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.100
> > wire connected to
> > wireless DLink access point AP900+ IP 192.168.0.3 DHCP server disabled
> > and three PCs on Dling DWL 520 wireless network adapters operated by WXP
> > Pro
> > SP2
> > fixed IP addresses 192.168.0.4 - 192.168.0.6
> > DNS set on each to 192.168.0.1 (the ASUS router)
> > subnetmasks for each component of the network 255.255.255.0
> >
> > comment: for the setup I should not need the router be set as a DHCP
> > server
> > but if I disable it I loose Internet connectivity, probably access to DNS
> > servers is lost in this case so I have it enabled eventhough no address is
> > effectively assigned to any PC (these are manually set as described above)
> > ----------------
> >
> > Now, if I bridge on any PC a wireless adapter with any other network
> > adapter, say 1394 one (but for ethrnet adapters it is about the same) I
> > loose
> > my internet connectivity (can not access say www.ibm.com and even the HTTP
> > 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.3 accesses to the ASUS router and Dlink AP do
> > not
> > function). The newly established bridge shows a strange external IP
> > address
> > 169.254.114.169 with a different subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and there is no
> > DNS
> > address assigned.
> >
> > If I manually edit the IP and DNS addresses in the property sheet of the
> > Bridge to make them
> > 192.168.0.6 and 192.168.0.1 respeectively the situation is not any better.
> > No internet, no HTTP acces to the router and/or the wireless access point.
> >
> > If I delete the bridge and REPAIR the wireless connection, everything is
> > back and OK again. Bridging to connections probably somehow destroys
> > access
> > to DNS servers and so to the Internet (my amateur understanding and
> > explanation of what I am observing).
> > Can anyone help or give a lead,pls?
> > Many thanks for any assistance.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 2, 2004 4:03:03 AM

Hi Jack,
thanks for your efforts to find a cure for my prob..
My objective is to bridge two connections on one PC. Actually in a wireless
[...]
Thanks for any proposal or suggesion

"Jack" wrote:

> [...]
> > 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.3 accesses to the ASUS router and Dlink AP do
> not
> > function). The newly established bridge shows a strange external IP
> address
> > 169.254.114.169 with a different subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and there is no
> DNS
> > address assigned.
> >
> > If I manually edit the IP and DNS addresses in the property sheet of the
> > Bridge to make them
> > 192.168.0.6 and 192.168.0.1 respeectively the situation is not any better.
> > No internet, no HTTP acces to the router and/or the wireless access point.
> >
> > If I delete the bridge and REPAIR the wireless connection, everything is
> > back and OK again. Bridging to connections probably somehow destroys
> access
> > to DNS servers and so to the Internet (my amateur understanding and

December 2, 2004 5:39:45 PM

Hi
It can not work this way. You are trying to make a Network that does not
meant for peer to peer Entry Level Hardware.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> [...]
> > address
> > > 169.254.114.169 with a different subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and there is
no
> > DNS
> > > address assigned.
> > >
> > > If I manually edit the IP and DNS addresses in the property sheet of
the
> > > Bridge to make them
> > > 192.168.0.6 and 192.168.0.1 respeectively the situation is not any
better.
> > > No internet, no HTTP acces to the router and/or the wireless access
point.

> > > If I delete the bridge and REPAIR the wireless connection, everything
is
> > > back and OK again. Bridging to connections probably somehow destroys
> > access
> > > to DNS servers and so to the Internet (my amateur understanding and

December 2, 2004 5:39:46 PM

OK, Jack, thank you for your answer.
I do not fully understand what you ment by Network that ?is? not ment for
peer-to-peer Entry Level Hardware. I do not know what ELH is?
I do not have but wireless peer-to-peer network and all the hardware work
ok, until I want to bridge two adapters in any PC.
But let us simplify the problem:
even if I want to attach another, say new (marked A), standalone PC with no
wireless but ethernet adapter to the standing network I can connect it by an
ethernet wire to one of the wireless network PCs (marked B) providing it has
an ethernet adapter also. Then I would bridge the two (ethernet and wireless)
adapters in the PC marked B. This should be fully supported by WXPPro. But
when I bridge I loose the internetet connectivity and I loose it even if I
bridge the wireless adapter with any other commu adapter on the said PC B.
That is what bothers me.
Thanks for uyour opinion.
Petr

!