EverQuest Officially Goes Free to Play on March 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would still play it, but for $15/month I won't. It should be worth about $5/month. It has vast areas that no other game has, as far as I can tell. I used to play until about the time WoW came out. Than WoW took things by storm (made things easier to do) and the rest is history. Now I see that EQ has added/changed quite a few things and have made things easier to do also, so time will tell if it will live on for too much longer.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]azncracker[/nom]Wow that game is so old, im surprised anyone still payed to play it.[/citation] Age doesn't automatically make a game bad. And yes, you would be surprised how many do still play. It was enough that they made the sequel f2p before the original. Anyway, I know Ill be playing. Nothing will ever recapture what EQ had going for it in the early days.

If you really want to play for free, though, and in an official capacity, the EQMac server was made completely free to play recently. All you need is a SOE account, and there is a guide floating around on places like reddit that shows you how to connect to the server if you dont have a mac. Its stuck in time as far as progression goes, but the community there is very tight knit. Good times!

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]triny[/nom]online games look like 1999 graphicsI see no worth to them unless pick up the pace[/citation]

I dont know what online games you are playing...the only ones I play that look like that are the ones that were from that time frame. Have you upgraded in the last decade? :p

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]azncracker[/nom]Wow that game is so old, im surprised anyone still payed to play it.[/citation]
Counter Strike is one of the oldest games around. First released in 1999 as a mod and now at version 1.6 is still one of the bigger players in professional gaming. Money to be made playing that game. Goes to show that the age of the game doesn't matter.
[citation][nom]triny[/nom]online games look like 1999 graphicsI see no worth to them unless pick up the pace[/citation]
Yeah I dunno what games you've been playing but I'm going to have to agree with darkerson on this one. WoW is still (somehow) one of the more popular games out there, and it is online, but it was released in 2006.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]WoW is still (somehow) one of the more popular games out there, and it is online, but it was released in 2006.[/citation]

WoW was released in late 2004.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007

You do realize that fancy graphics doesn't equal a good game.

G

I loved this game back in the day, but Sony forced you to group to get decent gear and everyone left the game when WOW came out.
I might be interested to see how the game has progressed, but I have a suspicion it will be so outdated and craptacular it wont hold my interest long. Plus, I just hate Sony

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Raidur[/nom]Screw what trash EQ has been turned into.Classic Everquest Emulation Project 1999 FTW! The way the game was MEANT to be played.[/citation]

sorry but vennerant (sp) was still in control of eq development through luclin, and probably had most of the pop stuff in the idea phase.

everquest didnt really get bad till... id say till darkhollow

i have never been one to get into a high level guild and play at the high end of the game... i group with people i knew in real life, and made no real connections in the game for some reason... for me the game was great till aa became mandatory and you had to stop leveling and grind aa because you would be useless without it. and the constant expansion formula of teir 1 and 2 of that expansion was what teir 3 and 4 were in the last one, (besides raid gear) was one of the things that killed the game experiance for me, haveing to play though missions and that crap to get to get keyed the next area... this si the kind of thing that you expected from raid areas in everquest, not normal group content...

its very easy to burn out with this game... not even funny.

[citation][nom]SOE Hater[/nom]I loved this game back in the day, but Sony forced you to group to get decent gear and everyone left the game when WOW came out.I might be interested to see how the game has progressed, but I have a suspicion it will be so outdated and craptacular it wont hold my interest long. Plus, I just hate Sony[/citation]

they removed the forced group aspect of the game. that was the worst part when i was reasonabley high level in Secrets of Faydwer, i at one point waited over 5 hours to get into a group... never got one, and i was the best non raid melee dps at the time... here is my suggestion for you

play either a mage, or a shadowknight, both of those classes are the best solo you can get in the game... sk requires gear, which should be easy to get through level 70, mage is easily FAR better at soloing than the sk, and FAR more enjoyable to play too.

with the mage, at level 87 i was able to tank names that hit in the 10-12000 range, with my shadowknight, very well geared at level 87 i couldn't even last 3 rounds, to boot i was under 1kdps, while as a mage, you can not only tank better (pets) you also are hard pressed to go under 7000dps... and on monsters that have 250000 to 2000000hp... that is a GREAT asset to have.

here. for any one interested, here is how you will level EVERY character from level 1-60, about the end of the f2p usefulness (you need aa to be a viable player passed level 60, and f2p barely give you enough to be decent at level 65)

1-10 play the tutorial, trust me on that, you will need it if you have been gone any amount of time.
10-20 Blightfire Moors, easily the best place to get exp and relearn parts of the game.
for 20-30, i suggest going to the other side of the moors, or going Goru'kar Mesa, the easy crap
at 31 you can go to city of mist, but really, you want to be level 35 to make sure you can kill everything in the entrance... and you should stay there till about level 50, you can go higher but most of the crap there will be light blue and give crap exp, and with a 15 to 30 min respawn timer.... its a bit of a grind.
at 50, i suggest you head over to a luclin zone, Acrylia Caverns, the problem with luclin is that the hp and ac on the mobs is way higher than old world (original game and 2 expansions) mobs, however if you have decent gear, and are sk, or mage, you should deal enough dmg to make this a VERY good exp zone, have someone show you how to go deeper into the zone as its a bit hidden. do this till level 55, than go full on aa till you max out on what f2p can get.
once you max out and cant get more, go to griegs end, and kill there till you cant level any more off the mobs.

now this is a bit harsh, but really you can only in content through the first 3 expansions because you are in all honesty useless, i suggest that you band together with other f2p gamers, and hit up Vex Thal, its the old raid zone for luclin... that will be fun and a chalange, and could take you about 6 months to level everyone up band together, and take it down... if you chose to pay 5$, you can level up to 70... after than you are useless again.

G

You have to understand reality of Sony free to play your way, which is really free to play theirs way. Servers had been downsize badly, especially the old newbies zones namely Greater Faydark with Kelethin etc, etc, where pings exceed 2000ms!. This is why they made Gloomingdeep for all players to start, probably most likely to save servers bandwidth. Many of us love the old graphic before Luclin and many like the old ways where uniqueness and risky provide rewarding skills itself. These Drakkins model put many of us off except for the emotional freaks that like to be a stiff scarecrow and a pitiful eyesore indeed for returning players. Everyone a druid, everyone a wizzy, everyone a monk, everyone a bard. Hell everyone is everyone in Everquest! and now there is nothing to be proud of with mercenary for it is indeed a perma-charm thing where enchanter had been badly negligence. Oh yea need I whine on but seriously I'd rather play a buggy p1999 kunark than Sony not so free to play your way but theirs.

Guess what?, I typed this blinded-fold!.

Status
Not open for further replies.