Dead keyboard fixed with system restore. Now CD/DVD device..

JoeB

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003

Recently, my keyboard stopped working. It plugs into a keyboard port (as opposed to a USB.) The various lights on the keyboard flash when I first boot the computer but none of the keyboard keys work. After going through the steps suggested on the (thankfully mouse-accessible) troubleshooting help screens on my computer, I gave up and restored the system from several days prior. Now my keyboard works but my CD/DVD doesn't (actually it doesn't even exist according to device manager.) The system backup log showed no entries that would indicate a cause of this problem. We have installed some of the automatic windows updates but not for aome time prior to the problem statring. I have since tried a restore from even further back in order to resuscitate my CD/DVD device but with no luck.

I would really appreciate any suggestions as to the cause of these failures.
Thanks...Joe

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager and delete any and all CD/DVD
devices you find. Reboot and see if Windows can now re-detect them.

"joeb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently, my keyboard stopped working. It plugs into a keyboard port (as
opposed to a USB.) The various lights on the keyboard flash when I first
boot the computer but none of the keyboard keys work. After going through
the steps suggested on the (thankfully mouse-accessible) troubleshooting
help screens on my computer, I gave up and restored the system from several
days prior. Now my keyboard works but my CD/DVD doesn't (actually it doesn't
even exist according to device manager.) The system backup log showed no
entries that would indicate a cause of this problem. We have installed some
of the automatic windows updates but not for aome time prior to the problem
statring. I have since tried a restore from even further back in order to
resuscitate my CD/DVD device but with no luck.

> I would really appreciate any suggestions as to the cause of these
failures.
> Thanks...Joe

JoeB

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003

Jerry,
Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested. When I then rebooted in normal(?) mode, a small box popped up in the bottom right of the screen saying that new CD/DVD hardware had been detected. It must have identified and added the driver automatically because it was in the device manager when I opened it. Unfortunately, the computer still does not play any disks (i.e. audio, CD-Rom or DVD.)

I searched yesterday for some solutions and found one that mentioned a possible cause being the uninstalling of third party software that leaves some entries unchanged in the registry. I think this may be involved but I haven't been able to find this post again.

Any further help would be appreciated.
Thanks...Joe

----- Jerry wrote: -----

Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager and delete any and all CD/DVD
devices you find. Reboot and see if Windows can now re-detect them.

"joeb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently, my keyboard stopped working. It plugs into a keyboard port (as
opposed to a USB.) The various lights on the keyboard flash when I first
boot the computer but none of the keyboard keys work. After going through
the steps suggested on the (thankfully mouse-accessible) troubleshooting
help screens on my computer, I gave up and restored the system from several
days prior. Now my keyboard works but my CD/DVD doesn't (actually it doesn't
even exist according to device manager.) The system backup log showed no
entries that would indicate a cause of this problem. We have installed some
of the automatic windows updates but not for aome time prior to the problem
statring. I have since tried a restore from even further back in order to
resuscitate my CD/DVD device but with no luck.
>> I would really appreciate any suggestions as to the cause of these
failures.
> Thanks...Joe

If you think that's the reason...

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

> Jerry,
> Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested. When I then rebooted in
normal(?) mode, a small box popped up in the bottom right of the screen
saying that new CD/DVD hardware had been detected. It must have identified
and added the driver automatically because it was in the device manager when
I opened it. Unfortunately, the computer still does not play any disks (i.e.
audio, CD-Rom or DVD.)

> I searched yesterday for some solutions and found one that mentioned a
possible cause being the uninstalling of third party software that leaves
some entries unchanged in the registry. I think this may be involved but I
haven't been able to find this post again.

> Any further help would be appreciated.
> Thanks...Joe
>
> ----- Jerry wrote: -----
>
> Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager and delete any and all
CD/DVD
> devices you find. Reboot and see if Windows can now re-detect them.
>
> "joeb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recently, my keyboard stopped working. It plugs into a keyboard
port (as
> opposed to a USB.) The various lights on the keyboard flash when I
first
> boot the computer but none of the keyboard keys work. After going
through
> the steps suggested on the (thankfully mouse-accessible)
troubleshooting
> help screens on my computer, I gave up and restored the system from
several
> days prior. Now my keyboard works but my CD/DVD doesn't (actually it
doesn't
> even exist according to device manager.) The system backup log showed
no
> entries that would indicate a cause of this problem. We have
installed some
> of the automatic windows updates but not for aome time prior to the
problem
> statring. I have since tried a restore from even further back in
order to
> resuscitate my CD/DVD device but with no luck.
> >> I would really appreciate any suggestions as to the cause of these
> failures.
> > Thanks...Joe

JoeB

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003

Jason,

Thanks for the reply. This IS the link I had seen before. I found it, downloaded the patch and tried again without success to use the various disks. I called a local computer shop and took it in to get the drive replaced. It may not have been necessary but I was running out of time and solutions.

Thanks again for your help.
....Joe