HELP...P4S800 w/ Intel 2.4a CPU w/1MB Cache on Chip - NO P..

Make: Asus
Model: P4S800
Serial Number: 39MG014548

Using Intel P4 2.4A CPU w/1M Cache. I have several Probs:

1. Powered up initially OK but HW Monitor showed VCORE Voltage error
(1.37 in red)

2. Set HW Mon to "ignore" continued to install XP OS.

3. Just prior to XP install, I connectected an Ethernet RJ45 to
on-board Ethernet. Screen became blank (no video signal).

4. Cleared CMOS, Still blank (no video signal)- no POST.

5. Changed Power Supply from 300W to 350W to 450W - Still blank (no
video signal)- no POST.

6. Changed VIDEO Card to different manuf. - Still blank (no video
signal)- no POST.

7. Took to reseller (ASI), swapped 2.4A CPU to 2.8 P4, booted OK - no
voltage error as well.

8. Swapped back to a *NEW* 2.4A CPU, Still blank (no video signal)-
no POST.

9. Updated BIOS from XX03 to XX07 while using P4 2.8 CPU.

10. Boot OK again. Replaced with P4 2.4A CPU. BOOT OK!!

11. Connected different Ethernet RJ45, screen Blank again, will not
POST again

Possible defective MB? Please advise... Thanx!

Ray

Paul

Splendid

In article <okdo70ddpa6jdodhhv85gkh8v798j80fr3@4ax.com>, Derek Johnstone
<The_Matrix2k@Hotmail.com> wrote:

> Make: Asus
> Model: P4S800
> Serial Number: 39MG014548
>

> Using Intel P4 2.4A CPU w/1M Cache. I have several Probs:
>
> 1. Powered up initially OK but HW Monitor showed VCORE Voltage error
> (1.37 in red)
>
> 2. Set HW Mon to "ignore" continued to install XP OS.
>
> 3. Just prior to XP install, I connectected an Ethernet RJ45 to
> on-board Ethernet. Screen became blank (no video signal).
>
> 4. Cleared CMOS, Still blank (no video signal)- no POST.
>
> 5. Changed Power Supply from 300W to 350W to 450W - Still blank (no
> video signal)- no POST.
>
> 6. Changed VIDEO Card to different manuf. - Still blank (no video
> signal)- no POST.
>
> 7. Took to reseller (ASI), swapped 2.4A CPU to 2.8 P4, booted OK - no
> voltage error as well.
>
> 8. Swapped back to a *NEW* 2.4A CPU, Still blank (no video signal)-
> no POST.
>
> 9. Updated BIOS from XX03 to XX07 while using P4 2.8 CPU.
>
> 10. Boot OK again. Replaced with P4 2.4A CPU. BOOT OK!!
>
> 11. Connected different Ethernet RJ45, screen Blank again, will not
> POST again
>
> Possible defective MB? Please advise... Thanx!
>
> Ray

Have you looked here ?

http://www.asus.it/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

The Prescotts all seem to need board revision 2.0, so maybe
you've fried the board or the processor by using your particular
combo.

I tried looking for the processor on processorfinder.intel.com and
the voltage is listed as 1.25-1.4V, rather than a fixed voltage.
Maybe the processor needs some feature of "VRM 10 down" to
work ? (I cannot keep track of all the voltage regulator options
any more - for that matter, I cannot even figure out how the
motherboard knows which VRM spec the processor is using!)

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL7E8&ProcFam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

When you go to the store to buy a processor, take the listing
from the "cpusupport" web page with you.

Paul

Thank you Paul for your input... It was an incompatibility issue. Your
links helped a lot! I guess a little more research needs to take hold
on my part and not "assume" my distributor knows all the compatibility
answers...

Thanx Again, Paul!

Regards!

Derek Ray Johnstone