Setting up a RAID on a P4P800 - how hard is it?

And is it worth it? Here's my situation. I just upgraded my machine to a P4 2.8c on a P4P800 mobo and 1GB PC3200 DDR.
Everything else is the same. One of my HD died and I needed more storage space anyway. Right now I'm looking at a total of
160gb, either in a 160gb drive or in 2 80gb drives in a RAID. I've never setup a RAID before although I hear the drives will
run faster this way. The P4P800 has the SATA connectors, so I would be buying SATA drives.

The delimma occurs here: The 160gb drive isat least $40 cheaper than buying 2 80gb drives. Is the extra speed gained by using
it as a RAID worth the price difference? Secondly, if it is difficult to set up, I may not even bother with a RAID. So I
guess my question is still the same, how hard is it to set up a RAID on this MOBO?

BTW, the drives im looking at are WD. Any probs with them? Pros / cons? I previously only had IBM/Hitachi drives, but thats
one of the drives that prematurley died, so I don't know if I will be going with them again.

Thanks..

RAID arrays can be a pain to setup and maintain. I would get the single
160GB drive. And, yes, the WD is probably one of the most reliable
harddrives out there right now.

--
DaveW

"3in4" <husker3in4@donotspam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> And is it worth it? Here's my situation. I just upgraded my machine to a
P4 2.8c on a P4P800 mobo and 1GB PC3200 DDR.
> Everything else is the same. One of my HD died and I needed more storage
space anyway. Right now I'm looking at a total of
> 160gb, either in a 160gb drive or in 2 80gb drives in a RAID. I've never
setup a RAID before although I hear the drives will
> run faster this way. The P4P800 has the SATA connectors, so I would be
buying SATA drives.

> The delimma occurs here: The 160gb drive isat least $40 cheaper than
buying 2 80gb drives. Is the extra speed gained by using
> it as a RAID worth the price difference? Secondly, if it is difficult to
set up, I may not even bother with a RAID. So I
> guess my question is still the same, how hard is it to set up a RAID on
this MOBO?

> BTW, the drives im looking at are WD. Any probs with them? Pros / cons? I
previously only had IBM/Hitachi drives, but thats
> one of the drives that prematurley died, so I don't know if I will be
going with them again.

> Thanks..

"3in4" <husker3in4@donotspam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> And is it worth it? Here's my situation. I just upgraded my machine to a
P4 2.8c on a P4P800 mobo and 1GB PC3200 DDR.
> Everything else is the same. One of my HD died and I needed more storage
space anyway. Right now I'm looking at a total of
> 160gb, either in a 160gb drive or in 2 80gb drives in a RAID. I've never
setup a RAID before although I hear the drives will
> run faster this way. The P4P800 has the SATA connectors, so I would be
buying SATA drives.

> The delimma occurs here: The 160gb drive isat least $40 cheaper than
buying 2 80gb drives. Is the extra speed gained by using
> it as a RAID worth the price difference? Secondly, if it is difficult to
set up, I may not even bother with a RAID. So I
> guess my question is still the same, how hard is it to set up a RAID on
this MOBO?

What do you use the system for? RAID 0 striping can boost performance
significantly for disk I/O intensive apps (such as digital video/audio
editing)
but not very much for games, etc. Also, should one drive in the array fail,
then you lose ALL data.

> BTW, the drives im looking at are WD. Any probs with them? Pros / cons? I
previously only had IBM/Hitachi drives, but thats
> one of the drives that prematurley died, so I don't know if I will be
going with them again.

We are a dealer and have good luck with WD drives.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer for 13+ years!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Cool, thanks for the info. Now anyone know of a reliable dealer, who is competitivley priced (somewhere close to newegg) that
accepts paypal?