repair connection to ethernet card

hi, here is the error message i get when trying to repair the connection to my kingston ethernet card:
The following steps of the repair operation failed:
Renewing the IP address.
Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DNS names.
Please contact your network administrator or ISP.

the provider for the LAN connection can get a connection on their computer when hooked into our wall. but just can't repair the software connection from the computer to the ethernet card. also, the card is working, cause we used to have our dsl connected to it, and we could connect. i have winxp home. could you point me what steps to take for repair? thank you for your help.

Have you considered the possibility that the card has failed?

--
Cari
www.coribright.com
"tigerfish" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, here is the error message i get when trying to repair the connection
> to my kingston ethernet card:
> The following steps of the repair operation failed:
> Renewing the IP address.
> Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DNS names.
> Please contact your network administrator or ISP.
>
> the provider for the LAN connection can get a connection on their computer
> when hooked into our wall. but just can't repair the software connection
> from the computer to the ethernet card. also, the card is working, cause
> we used to have our dsl connected to it, and we could connect. i have
> winxp home. could you point me what steps to take for repair? thank you
> for your help.

as Cari mentioned the card could have gone bad

it does seem suspicious that it was working on your DSL and <is this
correct> never functioned
on your new connection-cable modem or whatever?

if the card has never worked on the new hookup, I would try the following
change link speed settings of nic
start/run/devmgmt.msc
R click nic/properties/advanced/link speed; (default value is usually
Auto )
> try changing this value alternately between 10 half duplex & 100 half
> & see if it resolves the problem

John McVea [MSFT]

> Have you considered the possibility that the card has failed?
>
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
> "tigerfish" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi, here is the error message i get when trying to repair the connection
> > to my kingston ethernet card:
> > The following steps of the repair operation failed:
> > Renewing the IP address.
> > Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DNS names.
> > Please contact your network administrator or ISP.
> >
> > the provider for the LAN connection can get a connection on their
computer
> > when hooked into our wall. but just can't repair the software connection
> > from the computer to the ethernet card. also, the card is working, cause
> > we used to have our dsl connected to it, and we could connect. i have
> > winxp home. could you point me what steps to take for repair? thank you
> > for your help.

as Cari mentioned the nic may have gone bad

does seem suspicious that it worked on you previous dsl hookup & not on the
newer hookup
<is this correct?>
if the above is correct
try changing the link speed of the nic
start/run/devmgmt.msc R click nic/properties/advanced/link
speed Value default usually Auto try changing this value alternately