P2BD(s) 80gig Seagate IDE Harddrive not detected

I have an Asus P2BD(s) mainboard with Dual 400mhz Intel Processors and 2
SCSI drive arrays attached which are recognized no problems via Bios however
upon adding an 80gig Seagate IDE harddrive for backup at the "Detecting IDE
Primary......Slave..so on" post screen it hangs and refuses to find the
drive.
If I set the IDE harddrive jumpers as per Seagate manual instructions to
"limit Drive to 32gig" the drive is recognized via the mainboard post
screen.

Is there any way that this main board can take advantage of the 80gig
Seagate IDE drive?

TIA.
3 answers Last reply
More about p2bd 80gig seagate harddrive detected

    CyBorg 0091 wrote:
    > I have an Asus P2BD(s) mainboard with Dual 400mhz Intel Processors and 2
    > SCSI drive arrays attached which are recognized no problems via Bios however
    > upon adding an 80gig Seagate IDE harddrive for backup at the "Detecting IDE
    > Primary......Slave..so on" post screen it hangs and refuses to find the
    > drive.
    > If I set the IDE harddrive jumpers as per Seagate manual instructions to
    > "limit Drive to 32gig" the drive is recognized via the mainboard post
    > screen.
    >
    > Is there any way that this main board can take advantage of the 80gig
    > Seagate IDE drive?

    Newer (beta) bios will recognize hd up to 128GB.
    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/INTEL_Chipset/i440BX/

    Roland

    "Roland Scheidegger" <rscheidegger@gmx.ch> wrote in message
    > CyBorg 0091 wrote:
    > > I have an Asus P2BD(s) mainboard with Dual 400mhz Intel Processors and 2
    > > SCSI drive arrays attached which are recognized no problems via Bios
    however
    > > upon adding an 80gig Seagate IDE harddrive for backup at the "Detecting
    IDE
    > > Primary......Slave..so on" post screen it hangs and refuses to find the
    > > drive.
    > > If I set the IDE harddrive jumpers as per Seagate manual instructions to
    > > "limit Drive to 32gig" the drive is recognized via the mainboard post
    > > screen.
    > >
    > > Is there any way that this main board can take advantage of the 80gig
    > > Seagate IDE drive?
    >
    > Newer (beta) bios will recognize hd up to 128GB.
    > ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/INTEL_Chipset/i440BX/
    >
    > Roland

    Thankyou for the advise...I downloaded the beta bios and installed it
    everything went smoothly other than a "Hardware Monitor error" just about
    everytime the board post boots.
    The Hardrive was detected by the bios and also FreeBSD detected it right
    away and is all up and running.

    It was all in the Asus FAQ ...lol which I found after reading your post.

    Thanks again.

    CyBorg 0091 wrote:
    > Thankyou for the advise...I downloaded the beta bios and installed it
    > everything went smoothly other than a "Hardware Monitor error" just about
    > everytime the board post boots.
    If this is some easily explainable error (maybe the bios wants to see a
    fan speed or such but the fan doesn't provide a reading) I'd suggest
    just setting the respective setting in the monitor section of the bios
    to "ignore".

    > The Hardrive was detected by the bios and also FreeBSD detected it right
    > away and is all up and running.

    Roland

Asus Seagate Hard Drives Motherboards