USB device shows as floppy AND removable disk

I have a 128MB 'Dane-Elec zMate' USB memory device. When I
plugged it into a Windows XP machine, it registered itself
as a floppy drive (B:) AND as a removable drive (E:).

In the Windows Explorer, if I select drive B, it shows
1.4MB of free space; if I select drive E, it shows 122MB
of free space.

The Disk Management console only shows one 122MB partition
for drive E (obviously). Equally obviously, formatting
(from Windows OR a command prompt) drive E only formats
the drive to 122MB.

How do I tell Windows that this device is only one drive
and reclaim the space?
2 answers Last reply
More about device shows floppy removable disk

    I have no idea why it's showing up as a floppy drive but the 122mb instead
    of 128mb is absolutely correct.

    Although written for hard drives, any disk or removable drive has the same
    properties...
    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=M4lbL*9h&p_lva=&p_faqid=336&p_created=983206553&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTExNyZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNpemUgZGlmZmVyZW5jZXMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT0zJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9jYXRfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "Simon Moy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 128MB 'Dane-Elec zMate' USB memory device. When I
    > plugged it into a Windows XP machine, it registered itself
    > as a floppy drive (B:) AND as a removable drive (E:).
    >
    > In the Windows Explorer, if I select drive B, it shows
    > 1.4MB of free space; if I select drive E, it shows 122MB
    > of free space.
    >
    > The Disk Management console only shows one 122MB partition
    > for drive E (obviously). Equally obviously, formatting
    > (from Windows OR a command prompt) drive E only formats
    > the drive to 122MB.
    >
    > How do I tell Windows that this device is only one drive
    > and reclaim the space?

    Cari,

    Thanks for the reply, and the link.

    You are, of course, correct... the formatted size in
    Windows will always show less than the documented size of
    the disk, and I appreciate the reasons why.

    What's confusing me is that I can use the floppy drive
    space (all 1.4MB of it!) to store files, and it doesn't
    affect the used space of the removable disk. Essentially I
    have two partitions on the USB device (B: and E:), but
    because they appear as physically separate devices, the
    Disk Management Console won't let me reformat the device
    with one partition.

Floppy Disk Devices Windows XP