USB device shows as floppy AND removable disk

April 27, 2004 10:23:27 PM

I have a 128MB 'Dane-Elec zMate' USB memory device. When I
plugged it into a Windows XP machine, it registered itself
as a floppy drive (B:)  AND as a removable drive (E:) .

In the Windows Explorer, if I select drive B, it shows
1.4MB of free space; if I select drive E, it shows 122MB
of free space.

The Disk Management console only shows one 122MB partition
for drive E (obviously). Equally obviously, formatting
(from Windows OR a command prompt) drive E only formats
the drive to 122MB.

How do I tell Windows that this device is only one drive
and reclaim the space?
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 2:50:38 PM

I have no idea why it's showing up as a floppy drive but the 122mb instead
of 128mb is absolutely correct.

Although written for hard drives, any disk or removable drive has the same
properties...
http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/endus...*9h&p_lva=&p_faqid=336&p_created=983206553&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTExNyZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNpemUgZGlmZmVyZW5jZXMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT0zJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9jYXRfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Simon Moy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 128MB 'Dane-Elec zMate' USB memory device. When I
> plugged it into a Windows XP machine, it registered itself
> as a floppy drive (B:)  AND as a removable drive (E:) .
>
> In the Windows Explorer, if I select drive B, it shows
> 1.4MB of free space; if I select drive E, it shows 122MB
> of free space.
>
> The Disk Management console only shows one 122MB partition
> for drive E (obviously). Equally obviously, formatting
> (from Windows OR a command prompt) drive E only formats
> the drive to 122MB.
>
> How do I tell Windows that this device is only one drive
> and reclaim the space?
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 11:03:42 PM

Cari,

Thanks for the reply, and the link.

You are, of course, correct... the formatted size in
Windows will always show less than the documented size of
the disk, and I appreciate the reasons why.

What's confusing me is that I can use the floppy drive
space (all 1.4MB of it!) to store files, and it doesn't
affect the used space of the removable disk. Essentially I
have two partitions on the USB device (B: and E:) , but
because they appear as physically separate devices, the
Disk Management Console won't let me reformat the device
with one partition.

bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?
p_sid=M4lbL*9h&p_lva=&p_faqid=336&p_created=983206553&p_sp=