Home network security

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 1, 2004 12:00:35 PM

Hello,

I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP Pro
desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to make this
connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP - I have to
enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all this, but the
connection is never shown as secure, and when next time I go to Properties,
I see that the encription is disabled. What am I doing wrong?

My connection is 802g, 108 bps.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you,

--
Peter Afonin

More about : home network security

December 1, 2004 2:48:46 PM

Try using HEX anything A-G and 1-9 can be used
1 HEX Character=4 Bits
40 or 64 bit HEX WEP code has 10 characters
104 or 128 bit HEX WEP code has 26 characters
for security purposes you can't copy the WEP key FROM the fields in notepad
So when you set it on the router, copy it to notepad then do
what you want with it FROM notepad.
I also have it as open not shared and have authentication unchecked.
I've also changed the username and password to get into the router.
I use MAC Filtering also.
change the SSID on the router and clients when you do this but
it does mean that no one can connect to your network directly if they don't
know the SSID, it also means your network would be almost invisible as well

More Wep- Good if all the hardware is the same manufacturer.
Start with the router. Set up the WEP passphase and let it generate
the keys. Copy down the first key - it is case sensitive. Now you
can enable WEP in the router. You will lose your connection
momentarily. Now you can connect to the SSID of your network and
will be prompted for the WEP key you wrote down.

Sometimes you need to upgrade the router and cards to get better security
options

"Peter Afonin" <peter@gudzon.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP Pro
> desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to make this
> connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP - I have to
> enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all this, but the
> connection is never shown as secure, and when next time I go to
> Properties,
> I see that the encription is disabled. What am I doing wrong?
>
> My connection is 802g, 108 bps.
>
> I would appreciate your suggestions.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
> Peter Afonin

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 1, 2004 3:58:07 PM

Thank you, Tanya. I'll try this.

Peter

"Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
> Try using HEX anything A-G and 1-9 can be used
> 1 HEX Character=4 Bits
> 40 or 64 bit HEX WEP code has 10 characters
> 104 or 128 bit HEX WEP code has 26 characters
> for security purposes you can't copy the WEP key FROM the fields in
notepad
> So when you set it on the router, copy it to notepad then do
> what you want with it FROM notepad.
> I also have it as open not shared and have authentication unchecked.
> I've also changed the username and password to get into the router.
> I use MAC Filtering also.
> change the SSID on the router and clients when you do this but
> it does mean that no one can connect to your network directly if they
don't
> know the SSID, it also means your network would be almost invisible as
well

> More Wep- Good if all the hardware is the same manufacturer.
> Start with the router. Set up the WEP passphase and let it generate
> the keys. Copy down the first key - it is case sensitive. Now you
> can enable WEP in the router. You will lose your connection
> momentarily. Now you can connect to the SSID of your network and
> will be prompted for the WEP key you wrote down.
>
> Sometimes you need to upgrade the router and cards to get better security
> options
>

> "Peter Afonin" <peter@gudzon.net> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP
Pro
> > desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to make
this
> > connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP - I have to
> > enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all this, but the
> > connection is never shown as secure, and when next time I go to
> > Properties,
> > I see that the encription is disabled. What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > My connection is 802g, 108 bps.
> >
> > I would appreciate your suggestions.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > --
> > Peter Afonin

a b F Wireless
December 1, 2004 6:30:50 PM

Hex characters should be from the 0-9 and A-F range

There is also a fairly good guide on setting up wireless security here:

Chris Gual [MSFT]

> Try using HEX anything A-G and 1-9 can be used
> 1 HEX Character=4 Bits
> 40 or 64 bit HEX WEP code has 10 characters
> 104 or 128 bit HEX WEP code has 26 characters
> for security purposes you can't copy the WEP key FROM the fields in
> notepad
> So when you set it on the router, copy it to notepad then do
> what you want with it FROM notepad.
> I also have it as open not shared and have authentication unchecked.
> I've also changed the username and password to get into the router.
> I use MAC Filtering also.
> change the SSID on the router and clients when you do this but
> it does mean that no one can connect to your network directly if they
> don't
> know the SSID, it also means your network would be almost invisible as
> well
>
> More Wep- Good if all the hardware is the same manufacturer.
> Start with the router. Set up the WEP passphase and let it generate
> the keys. Copy down the first key - it is case sensitive. Now you
> can enable WEP in the router. You will lose your connection
> momentarily. Now you can connect to the SSID of your network and
> will be prompted for the WEP key you wrote down.
>
> Sometimes you need to upgrade the router and cards to get better security
> options
>

> "Peter Afonin" <peter@gudzon.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP Pro
>> desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to make
>> this
>> connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP - I have to
>> enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all this, but the
>> connection is never shown as secure, and when next time I go to
>> Properties,
>> I see that the encription is disabled. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> My connection is 802g, 108 bps.
>>
>> I would appreciate your suggestions.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> --
>> Peter Afonin

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 1, 2004 7:54:55 PM

Thank you very much, Chris.

Peter

"Chris Gual [MSFT]" <cgual@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o tmFP3$1EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hex characters should be from the 0-9 and A-F range
>
> There is also a fairly good guide on setting up wireless security here:
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>
> Chris Gual [MSFT]
rights.

> "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
> > Try using HEX anything A-G and 1-9 can be used
> > 1 HEX Character=4 Bits
> > 40 or 64 bit HEX WEP code has 10 characters
> > 104 or 128 bit HEX WEP code has 26 characters
> > for security purposes you can't copy the WEP key FROM the fields in
> > notepad
> > So when you set it on the router, copy it to notepad then do
> > what you want with it FROM notepad.
> > I also have it as open not shared and have authentication unchecked.
> > I've also changed the username and password to get into the router.
> > I use MAC Filtering also.
> > change the SSID on the router and clients when you do this but
> > it does mean that no one can connect to your network directly if they
> > don't
> > know the SSID, it also means your network would be almost invisible as
> > well
> >
> > More Wep- Good if all the hardware is the same manufacturer.
> > Start with the router. Set up the WEP passphase and let it generate
> > the keys. Copy down the first key - it is case sensitive. Now you
> > can enable WEP in the router. You will lose your connection
> > momentarily. Now you can connect to the SSID of your network and
> > will be prompted for the WEP key you wrote down.
> >
> > Sometimes you need to upgrade the router and cards to get better
security
> > options
> >

> > "Peter Afonin" <peter@gudzon.net> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP
Pro
> >> desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to make
> >> this
> >> connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP - I have to
> >> enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all this, but the
> >> connection is never shown as secure, and when next time I go to
> >> Properties,
> >> I see that the encription is disabled. What am I doing wrong?
> >>
> >> My connection is 802g, 108 bps.
> >>
> >> I would appreciate your suggestions.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter Afonin

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 2, 2004 8:12:27 AM

Peter Afonin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP Pro
> desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to make this
> connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP - I have to
> enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all this, but the
> connection is never shown as secure, and when next time I go to Properties,
> I see that the encription is disabled. What am I doing wrong?
>
> My connection is 802g, 108 bps.
>
> I would appreciate your suggestions.
>
> Thank you,

You must make those settings in your router/access point.
Then save the settings.
December 2, 2004 8:12:28 AM

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Peter Afonin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP
>> Pro desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to
>> make this connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP
>> - I have to enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all
>> this, but the connection is never shown as secure, and when next time
>> I go to Properties, I see that the encription is disabled. What am I
>> doing wrong?
>>
>> My connection is 802g, 108 bps.
>>
>> I would appreciate your suggestions.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
> You must make those settings in your router/access point.
> Then save the settings.

And just to complete the second half of Mr. Hunter's excellent advice,
then you configure the wireless on your computers. Recap:

1. Go to the router's configuration screen. Most routers are configured
in your browser, by entering something like http://192.168.1.1 [enter].
Consult your router manual.

2. Once in the configuration settings, look at the SSID - change it from
the default if you like (a good idea) and make a note of it.

3. Enable WEP and create a key. Write the key down. If you use a
passphrase to generate a key, you will *not* be entering this
passphrase into the computers' configurations; just the resultant
numbers.

4. Now go to your computers and you should see your wireless network.
Enter the WEP key, and there you go.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

OOPS brain cells are going . Sorry about that.
"Chris Gual [MSFT]" <cgual@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o tmFP3$1EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hex characters should be from the 0-9 and A-F range
>
> There is also a fairly good guide on setting up wireless security here:
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>
> Chris Gual [MSFT]
> rights.
>
> "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
>> Try using HEX anything A-G and 1-9 can be used
>> 1 HEX Character=4 Bits
>> 40 or 64 bit HEX WEP code has 10 characters
>> 104 or 128 bit HEX WEP code has 26 characters
>> for security purposes you can't copy the WEP key FROM the fields in
>> notepad
>> So when you set it on the router, copy it to notepad then do
>> what you want with it FROM notepad.
>> I also have it as open not shared and have authentication unchecked.
>> I've also changed the username and password to get into the router.
>> I use MAC Filtering also.
>> change the SSID on the router and clients when you do this but
>> it does mean that no one can connect to your network directly if they
>> don't
>> know the SSID, it also means your network would be almost invisible as
>> well
>>
>> More Wep- Good if all the hardware is the same manufacturer.
>> Start with the router. Set up the WEP passphase and let it generate
>> the keys. Copy down the first key - it is case sensitive. Now you
>> can enable WEP in the router. You will lose your connection
>> momentarily. Now you can connect to the SSID of your network and
>> will be prompted for the WEP key you wrote down.
>>
>> Sometimes you need to upgrade the router and cards to get better security
>> options
>>

>> "Peter Afonin" <peter@gudzon.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP
>>> Pro
>>> desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to make
>>> this
>>> connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP - I have to
>>> enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all this, but the
>>> connection is never shown as secure, and when next time I go to
>>> Properties,
>>> I see that the encription is disabled. What am I doing wrong?
>>>
>>> My connection is 802g, 108 bps.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate your suggestions.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter Afonin

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 2, 2004 2:13:42 PM

Thank you very much for advices.

I've done all this. The network worked fine, but then I couldn't reconnect.
It does reconnect if I remove the security. I keep working on it, perhaps
I'm doing something incorrectly.

Peter

"Malke" <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote in message
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
> > Peter Afonin wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP
> >> Pro desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to
> >> make this connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP
> >> - I have to enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all
> >> this, but the connection is never shown as secure, and when next time
> >> I go to Properties, I see that the encription is disabled. What am I
> >> doing wrong?
> >>
> >> My connection is 802g, 108 bps.
> >>
> >> I would appreciate your suggestions.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >>
> > You must make those settings in your router/access point.
> > Then save the settings.
>
> And just to complete the second half of Mr. Hunter's excellent advice,
> then you configure the wireless on your computers. Recap:
>
> 1. Go to the router's configuration screen. Most routers are configured
> in your browser, by entering something like http://192.168.1.1 [enter].
> Consult your router manual.
>
> 2. Once in the configuration settings, look at the SSID - change it from
> the default if you like (a good idea) and make a note of it.
>
> 3. Enable WEP and create a key. Write the key down. If you use a
> passphrase to generate a key, you will *not* be entering this
> passphrase into the computers' configurations; just the resultant
> numbers.
>
> 4. Now go to your computers and you should see your wireless network.
> Enter the WEP key, and there you go.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 2, 2004 9:42:35 PM

Ron, I've done exactly what you said, and it works now. However, it doesn't
reconnect automatically when computer is restarted, I have to re-enter the
key again every time. Is it supposed to be like this, or I'm doing something
incorrectly?

Thank you,

Peter

> Peter Afonin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP
Pro
> > desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to make
this
> > connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP - I have to
> > enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all this, but the
> > connection is never shown as secure, and when next time I go to
Properties,
> > I see that the encription is disabled. What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > My connection is 802g, 108 bps.
> >
> > I would appreciate your suggestions.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> You must make those settings in your router/access point.
> Then save the settings.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 2, 2004 9:45:00 PM

Malke, as I've mentioned in my previous message, the PC doesn' reconnect
automatically after restart, I have to re-enter the key every time. Is it by
design?

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
> > Peter Afonin wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP
> >> Pro desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to
> >> make this connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP
> >> - I have to enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all
> >> this, but the connection is never shown as secure, and when next time
> >> I go to Properties, I see that the encription is disabled. What am I
> >> doing wrong?
> >>
> >> My connection is 802g, 108 bps.
> >>
> >> I would appreciate your suggestions.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >>
> > You must make those settings in your router/access point.
> > Then save the settings.
>
> And just to complete the second half of Mr. Hunter's excellent advice,
> then you configure the wireless on your computers. Recap:
>
> 1. Go to the router's configuration screen. Most routers are configured
> in your browser, by entering something like http://192.168.1.1 [enter].
> Consult your router manual.
>
> 2. Once in the configuration settings, look at the SSID - change it from
> the default if you like (a good idea) and make a note of it.
>
> 3. Enable WEP and create a key. Write the key down. If you use a
> passphrase to generate a key, you will *not* be entering this
> passphrase into the computers' configurations; just the resultant
> numbers.
>
> 4. Now go to your computers and you should see your wireless network.
> Enter the WEP key, and there you go.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 2, 2004 10:49:33 PM

Hello Malke,

Even wors now. Every time I restart my computer, I have to go to Wireless
network properties, confirm my key, then connect manually, confirming my key
again, only after this network starts working. How can I make it connect
automatically?

Thank you,

Peter

"Malke" <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote in message
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
> > Peter Afonin wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I've just set up the wireless home network, connecting two Windows XP
> >> Pro desktops. It works great. One thing I cannot figure out - how to
> >> make this connection secure. There are instructions on this in Win XP
> >> - I have to enable encription (WEP), select certificate etc. I do all
> >> this, but the connection is never shown as secure, and when next time
> >> I go to Properties, I see that the encription is disabled. What am I
> >> doing wrong?
> >>
> >> My connection is 802g, 108 bps.
> >>
> >> I would appreciate your suggestions.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >>
> > You must make those settings in your router/access point.
> > Then save the settings.
>
> And just to complete the second half of Mr. Hunter's excellent advice,
> then you configure the wireless on your computers. Recap:
>
> 1. Go to the router's configuration screen. Most routers are configured
> in your browser, by entering something like http://192.168.1.1 [enter].
> Consult your router manual.
>
> 2. Once in the configuration settings, look at the SSID - change it from
> the default if you like (a good idea) and make a note of it.
>
> 3. Enable WEP and create a key. Write the key down. If you use a
> passphrase to generate a key, you will *not* be entering this
> passphrase into the computers' configurations; just the resultant
> numbers.
>
> 4. Now go to your computers and you should see your wireless network.
> Enter the WEP key, and there you go.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
December 2, 2004 11:43:44 PM

Peter Afonin wrote:

> Hello Malke,
>
> Even wors now. Every time I restart my computer, I have to go to
> Wireless network properties, confirm my key, then connect manually,
> confirming my key again, only after this network starts working. How
> can I make it connect automatically?

I'm sorry but I just don't know. I'm having a hard time figuring out
what you're doing. It's difficult since I can't see your machine. Do
you have a knowledgeable friend who could help you? Or take the machine
to a good local shop. Maybe you should contact the wireless card
mftr.'s tech support.

I'm sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 3, 2004 2:18:41 AM

Thanks, Malke.

All I need to know for now that it is NOT by design. The network, even
secured, should connect automatically after computer restarts, correct?

> Peter Afonin wrote:
>
> > Hello Malke,
> >
> > Even wors now. Every time I restart my computer, I have to go to
> > Wireless network properties, confirm my key, then connect manually,
> > confirming my key again, only after this network starts working. How
> > can I make it connect automatically?
> >

> I'm sorry but I just don't know. I'm having a hard time figuring out
> what you're doing. It's difficult since I can't see your machine. Do
> you have a knowledgeable friend who could help you? Or take the machine
> to a good local shop. Maybe you should contact the wireless card
> mftr.'s tech support.
>
> I'm sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
December 3, 2004 7:59:30 AM

Peter Afonin wrote:

> Thanks, Malke.
>
> All I need to know for now that it is NOT by design. The network, even
> secured, should connect automatically after computer restarts,
> correct?

IIRC, there is a place in the wireless settings to check "automatically
connect to preferred networks". If you have that checked, the computer
should automatically connect. It will give you a prompt in the
Notification Tray to say you're connected. Do you have that option
checked?

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 3, 2004 2:02:58 PM

Yes, I have it checked. Today everything connected OK and working fine. I
hope it will stay this way.

Thank you for your help, Malke!

> Peter Afonin wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Malke.
> >
> > All I need to know for now that it is NOT by design. The network, even
> > secured, should connect automatically after computer restarts,
> > correct?
> >
> IIRC, there is a place in the wireless settings to check "automatically
> connect to preferred networks". If you have that checked, the computer
> should automatically connect. It will give you a prompt in the
> Notification Tray to say you're connected. Do you have that option
> checked?
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
December 3, 2004 5:18:15 PM

Peter Afonin wrote:

> Yes, I have it checked. Today everything connected OK and working
> fine. I hope it will stay this way.
>
> Thank you for your help, Malke!

Very cool. I'm glad you got it fixed, and thank you for letting me know.

Malke
--
!