Sign in with
Your question

Cursor stutters on top right of screen

Last response: in Windows 7
January 14, 2011 3:06:56 AM

Hello,

I recently built a new computer (running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit), and I recently noticed that my mouse cursor is stuttering/slowing down at the top right corner of the screen (about where the close button is). This occurs regardless of what programs I have open. It feels as if there is a magnet in that corner of the screen that is screwing with the cursor. I am using a logitech mouse and checked the Setpoint settings, but acceleration is turned off so I think it is a Windows-related issue. Is there some kind of multiple-monitor setting to prevent one from overshooting the close button? I have no idea what else would be causing this strange issue.

My specs:

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
MSI H55M-E33 Motherboard
Intel i5 750 LGA 1156
ATI 5770 HD 1GB DDR5 PCI Express
G-Skill Ripjaw Series 4GB DDR3 RAM
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse

January 14, 2011 3:27:55 AM

Do you have anti-virus software? The issue could be a virus that tries to prevent you from clicking the close button in opened windows. Try running anti-virus software and see if anything is detected.

Keep us posted.
m
l
January 14, 2011 3:32:04 AM

calmstateofmind said:
Do you have anti-virus software? The issue could be a virus that tries to prevent you from clicking the close button in opened windows. Try running anti-virus software and see if anything is detected.

Keep us posted.

I have Avast Anti virus installed, and the stuttering occurs even when my internet browser is closed.
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2011 4:04:00 AM

ernzoa said:
I have Avast Anti virus installed, and the stuttering occurs even when my internet browser is closed.

Right, the virus would still behave the same way though, in case any other windows are open and maximized. Think of it in a programmers point of view...would you rather write a virus that detects which programs are open and based off the program and the orientation of it prevent the mouse from going to that area, or just write a virus that prevents the mouse from going to where the close button generally is when a window/program is maximized?

The second would be more logical for a programmer (a beginner programmer, nonetheless) who's writing a virus, as it would be more lightweight and there would be less of a possibility of it being detected by the user.

Run the anti-virus software and see if anything comes up.

Edit: It wouldn't matter if you have a window open or not because once the program is executed is continues to run until quit/deleted/computer turns off. Try checking your start up services to see if anything is unfamiliar.

Start > Run > msconfig > Startup.
m
l
January 14, 2011 4:19:56 AM

Thanks for all the tips, but I just solved the issue by uninstalling ATI Catalyst Control Center 10.12. Apparently there is a mysterious box of pixels in the top right of the screen that causes some Windows 7 systems to lag when the cursor moves into it. I just reverted to 10.11, and the problem is fixed for now. It also appears that ATI is aware of the problem:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&th...
m
l
January 14, 2011 4:33:38 AM

Interesting...thanks for making me the wiser. Glad to hear you got the problem resolved! (no thanks to me though, lol)
m
l
May 9, 2011 7:22:15 PM

Does anyone know which driver version removes this bug?

I uninstalled 11.4 (4/27/11). The stock Win7 x64 drivers still include the bug.

I guess what I'm asking is which is the most recent driver that doesn't include the bug.

Thanks. Eric

p.s. If it helps.. I have an MSI R5770 Hawk.
m
l
!