new motherboard for an old Dell?

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II at
300 MHz. How retro can I one be?

The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are any
after market boards that I can replace it with.

Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?

I'm going to put Linux on it.

Thanks.

Roy

P.S. Isn't there a general motherboard newsgroup?

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

No. That machine used a non standard power supply
hookup, also it has a proprietary front panel connector.

"Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote in message
> I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II at
> 300 MHz. How retro can I one be?
>
> The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are
any
> after market boards that I can replace it with.
>
> Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?
>
> I'm going to put Linux on it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Roy
>
> P.S. Isn't there a general motherboard newsgroup?

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

You might have better luck at alt.sys.pc-clone.dell.

If memory serves, it's basically an ATX mainboard, but with nonstandard
power (separate 3.3V connector), a proprietary front panel connector, etc.

The Dell case was probably made by Palo Alto Products, but I don't get a
response from their web site.

As the XPS 300 dates from 1997, there may not be much point in salvaging
anything from it. Graphics cards are better, hard drives are larger (and
faster), CD drives are faster, etc.

Good luck.

Bob Knowlden

Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

Roy Gordon wrote:
> I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II at
> 300 MHz. How retro can I one be?
>
> The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are any
> after market boards that I can replace it with.
>
> Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?

One thing to be careful of before starting is the power supply. A lot
of the Dell's use a proprietary power supply connector. They look a lot
like the standard connectors but the wiring is different. If you have
to replace the power supply also, which might not be a bad idea as the
original one may be too small for a newer board, you would be better off
to get a new case and power supply and your questions are then irrelevant.

"Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote:

>You might have better luck at alt.sys.pc-clone.dell.

You didn't peek at the newsgroups line before posting this, did
you Mr. Knowlden?

Newsgroups:
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Thanks, guys.

I think instead I'll get one of those minimal systems via pricewatch.

Roy

> Thanks, guys.
>
> I think instead I'll get one of those minimal systems via pricewatch.
>
> Roy
>
> "Pen" <pennospam34us@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > No. That machine used a non standard power supply
> > hookup, also it has a proprietary front panel connector.
> >
> > "Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote in message
> >> I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II
at
> >> 300 MHz. How retro can I one be?
> >>
> >> The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are
> > any
> >> after market boards that I can replace it with.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?
> >>
> >> I'm going to put Linux on it.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Roy
> >>
> >> P.S. Isn't there a general motherboard newsgroup?

Roy,

If you're anywhere near a Microcenter, they have a $29.99 case called the
PC-132, which comes with an "Austin" 300W power supply. I just got one, and
it seems to be working fine, and quite quiet, and the case has lots of
space.

Re. newsgroups, there's alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt and
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, among others.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I had problems with the motherboard in my XPS 266 about a year ago. Since I had already upgrade my hard drives I got a SOYO Pentium 3 motherboard (ATX) with ISA slots so I could use my old modem and sound card. I also got a larger powers supply; the original was Dell proprietary.

Roy Gordon wrote:

> I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II at
> 300 MHz. How retro can I one be?
>
> The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are any
> after market boards that I can replace it with.
>
> Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Right.

I may be a top-poster by choice, but not a cross-poster.