Boot Drive letter F?

I just installed XPpro on a pair of WD SATA Raptors Raid 0 hooked up to my
A7N8X deluxe. Windows made this array drive (F). How do I make it be the (C)
drive?

Thanks
Joe
10 answers Last reply
More about boot drive letter

    If you had USB Pen drives and / or a smart card device connected at the time
    this happens.
    Best bet is to remove all other drives and reinstall XP. There is a fix, but
    it is risky and the way out is to reinstall XP.
    Reconnect the smart drive doofers after XP is installed correctly.
    Raid 0 is not advisable for a system volume.
    - Tim

    "Joe" <Notgiven@bogus.com> wrote in message
    > I just installed XPpro on a pair of WD SATA Raptors Raid 0 hooked up to my
    > A7N8X deluxe. Windows made this array drive (F). How do I make it be the
    (C)
    > drive?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Joe

    Also disconnect any zip or jazz drives as they also can cause this. During
    the install before formatting the drive you can see what the drive letter
    will be.

    Lothar

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:c5kouv$dsb$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > If you had USB Pen drives and / or a smart card device connected at the
    time
    > this happens.
    > Best bet is to remove all other drives and reinstall XP. There is a fix,
    but
    > it is risky and the way out is to reinstall XP.
    > Reconnect the smart drive doofers after XP is installed correctly.
    > Raid 0 is not advisable for a system volume.
    > - Tim
    >
    > "Joe" <Notgiven@bogus.com> wrote in message
    > > I just installed XPpro on a pair of WD SATA Raptors Raid 0 hooked up to
    my
    > > A7N8X deluxe. Windows made this array drive (F). How do I make it be the
    > (C)
    > > drive?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Joe

    Ok I do have a zip wich is currently (C). Are yall saying that if I
    disconect it and reinstall windows and get the array and windows on (C) that
    I can hook the zip back up after the install and the array will stay C

    Joe

    Joe wrote:

    > Ok I do have a zip wich is currently (C). Are yall saying that if I
    > disconect it and reinstall windows and get the array and windows on (C) that
    > I can hook the zip back up after the install and the array will stay C
    >
    > Joe

    Yup, that's exactly what they are saying - but they are also saying that
    installing Windows on RAID 0 is a Bad Idea(tm). Raid 0 gives great
    performance, but if either hard drive fails you loose everything.

    > "Lothar" <l@a.net> wrote in message news:he6dnWHgtNuDYeDd4p2dnA@aros.net...
    >
    >>Also disconnect any zip or jazz drives as they also can cause this. During
    >>the install before formatting the drive you can see what the drive letter
    >>will be.
    >>
    >>Lothar
    >>
    >>"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message

    >>>If you had USB Pen drives and / or a smart card device connected at the
    >>
    >>time
    >>
    >>>this happens.
    >>>Best bet is to remove all other drives and reinstall XP. There is a fix,
    >>
    >>but
    >>
    >>>it is risky and the way out is to reinstall XP.
    >>>Reconnect the smart drive doofers after XP is installed correctly.
    >>>Raid 0 is not advisable for a system volume.
    >>>- Tim
    >>>
    >>>"Joe" <Notgiven@bogus.com> wrote in message

    >>my

    > the
    >
    >>>(C)

    Not quite.
    You have accounted for C: drive, yet you mentioned that when you installed
    your system drive came up as F - you still have a drives D and E to
    eliminate.

    Do you have any USB Pen drives?
    Do you have and of the SD Ram / Smart Media / Sony thingamy device adapters
    installed?
    If so disconnect them at the motherboard (or USB port) and keep them
    disconnected until after XP install is completed.

    You need to find out where and what D and E are first and eliminate them.

    > Ok I do have a zip wich is currently (C). Are yall saying that if I
    > disconect it and reinstall windows and get the array and windows on (C)
    that
    > I can hook the zip back up after the install and the array will stay C
    >
    > Joe
    >

    > "Lothar" <l@a.net> wrote in message
    > > Also disconnect any zip or jazz drives as they also can cause this.
    During
    > > the install before formatting the drive you can see what the drive
    letter
    > > will be.
    > >
    > > Lothar
    > >
    > > "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    > > > If you had USB Pen drives and / or a smart card device connected at
    the
    > > time
    > > > this happens.
    > > > Best bet is to remove all other drives and reinstall XP. There is a
    fix,
    > > but
    > > > it is risky and the way out is to reinstall XP.
    > > > Reconnect the smart drive doofers after XP is installed correctly.
    > > > Raid 0 is not advisable for a system volume.
    > > > - Tim
    > > >
    > > > "Joe" <Notgiven@bogus.com> wrote in message
    > > my
    > the
    > > > (C)

    Well actually if he removes the zip the HD will go to C even if one or more
    CD/DVD-ROM's are still connected. It has to do with the ZIP being seen as a
    fixed disc.

    Lothar

    "Lothar" <l@a.net> wrote:

    >Well actually if he removes the zip the HD will go to C even if one or more
    >CD/DVD-ROM's are still connected. It has to do with the ZIP being seen as a
    >fixed disc.

    If that is happening, then the BIOS is probably set incorrectly. It's
    usually best to set the BIOS to "NONE" or "Not Installed" at the Zip
    drive's location; do not use the Auto setting.

    "Joe" <Notgiven@bogus.com> wrote in message news:107rogd420uh005@corp.supernews.com...

    >I just installed XPpro on a pair of WD SATA Raptors Raid 0
    > hooked up to my A7N8X deluxe. Windows made this array
    > drive (F). How do I make it be the (C) drive?

    1. Windows doesn't care what drive is master/boot drive.
    2. legacy hard coded virii/malware/attackers won't find
    the "c" drive so you are actually a lot safer using F.
    3. any applications etc. will hunt for boot drive not for "c"
    when installing, been that way for many years now.

    It has a lot todo with how the BIOS searches for the
    primary drives hooked upto the board, floppy then ide
    and cdr will come first. You can move drive letters
    around in windows but that can also cause problems.
    (drive letter aliasing)

    --
    'Seek and ye shall find'
    NT Canuck

    Go to Administrative Tools in Control Panel and choose Computer Managmet!
    Then in Computer Managment go to Disk Managment, and ond right side of the
    windows will be shown all the devices includeing CD-roms, .....exepct floppy
    drive!(only non-removable devices are shown!)
    then click right mouse botton on drive which has marked letter C and choose
    change drive letter, and delete it , then on drive with letter do the same,
    and on drive which was F click on Add and add a letter C!!

    If you ever plan to use an IPOD, you need to get C to be your boot drive.
    This little tidbit is buried deep in the Apple website. I had to get rid of
    one I got as a present and substitute a Rio Karma instead. There may also be
    other bit's of software out there that insist on installing on the C drive,
    but I dont know of any.
    Rgrds-Ross
    "NT Canuck" <ntcanuck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Joe" <Notgiven@bogus.com> wrote in message
    >
    > >I just installed XPpro on a pair of WD SATA Raptors Raid 0
    > > hooked up to my A7N8X deluxe. Windows made this array
    > > drive (F). How do I make it be the (C) drive?
    >
    > 1. Windows doesn't care what drive is master/boot drive.
    > 2. legacy hard coded virii/malware/attackers won't find
    > the "c" drive so you are actually a lot safer using F.
    > 3. any applications etc. will hunt for boot drive not for "c"
    > when installing, been that way for many years now.
    >
    > It has a lot todo with how the BIOS searches for the
    > primary drives hooked upto the board, floppy then ide
    > and cdr will come first. You can move drive letters
    > around in windows but that can also cause problems.
    > (drive letter aliasing)
    >
    > --
    > 'Seek and ye shall find'
    > NT Canuck

Asus Western Digital Boot NAS / RAID Motherboards