Mobile XP2500 Barton on a new A7N8X-E Deluxe

Hi all,

I have just installed a Mobile XP2500 Barton on a new A7N8X-E Deluxe.
I have two questions on it's configuration being the first mobile processor
I've set up:

1. Upon boot it shows an Mobile Athlon 800Mhz. In Windows XP Pro SP1A it
displays as an Athlon 798Mhz Processor. I have checked the BIOS, and it set
it up as 133FSBx14 which I work out as 1862Mhz which I guess is right for
the CPU so I don;t understand why its coming up as 800Mhz in the Boot screen
and in Windows My Computer.

2. Secondly, the voltage for this CPU as I understand it is supposed to be
1.45v, but the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe has awarded it 1.575v. have checked in
the BIOS to lower it manually to 1.45v but that volatge isn't displayed, the
lowest available is 1.575v.

Can someone please offer some advice on how to get the CPU to configure
correctly?
I want to see it running at its default speed before trying to overclock it.
Many thanks.

Graham.
12 answers Last reply
More about mobile xp2500 barton a7n8x deluxe

    In article <407e12b0$0$17900$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "The Old
    Man" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have just installed a Mobile XP2500 Barton on a new A7N8X-E Deluxe.
    > I have two questions on it's configuration being the first mobile processor
    > I've set up:
    >
    > 1. Upon boot it shows an Mobile Athlon 800Mhz. In Windows XP Pro SP1A it
    > displays as an Athlon 798Mhz Processor. I have checked the BIOS, and it set
    > it up as 133FSBx14 which I work out as 1862Mhz which I guess is right for
    > the CPU so I don;t understand why its coming up as 800Mhz in the Boot screen
    > and in Windows My Computer.
    >
    > 2. Secondly, the voltage for this CPU as I understand it is supposed to be
    > 1.45v, but the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe has awarded it 1.575v. have checked in
    > the BIOS to lower it manually to 1.45v but that volatge isn't displayed, the
    > lowest available is 1.575v.
    >
    > Can someone please offer some advice on how to get the CPU to configure
    > correctly?
    > I want to see it running at its default speed before trying to overclock it.
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Graham.

    I see a comment in this post:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=404F1469.93513B95%40af.ter&rnum=3

    It says:

    "I'm basically wondering whether it's possible to force the XP-M
    to use its correct multiplier (eg: 16x) rather than automatically
    revert to 133x6 because of the unsupported ''Powernow" feature."

    Looking on Nforcershq.com, it seems only SIS and VIA chipsets are
    able to support changing the multiplier. One suggestion is, it is
    a BIOS issue, as a DFI Nforce2 board is claimed to be able to make
    the multiplier change.

    This web site has some info on the issue, and a tool.

    http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm
    http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm
    http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier_FAQ/AXP_Multiplier_FAQ.htm

    I'm afraid you'll have to keep looking. Prior to looking around,
    I thought this hack was a slam-dunk, but apparently not yet for
    everyone. AMD's Powernow software should only work on mobile
    chipsets, and it should ignore desktop chips, and that is why
    people are looking to this CPUMSR program, to make changes to
    their settings. In a way, you are in the same mess as Mobile P4's,
    in that no matter what speed Mobile P4 you buy, it starts up
    at 12x100, and then you overclock the hell out of the FSB, to
    make a processor out of it. A multiplier of 6 on the Mobile
    Athlon makes that approach... difficult.

    I wish I could use the search engine over here. Maybe some
    of the ideas in this thread will help - it's "bridge paintin' time"

    http://forums.amdmb.com/showthread.php?threadid=254737&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

    This stuff looks very experimental. Which, I guess, is the
    whole idea. Keep us posted if you get anywhere, as I'm sure a
    few people with A7N8X boards are interested.

    HTH,
    Paul

> [...]
    > everyone. AMD's Powernow software should only work on mobile
    > chipsets, and it should ignore desktop chips, and that is why
    > people are looking to this CPUMSR program, to make changes to
    > their settings. In a way, you are in the same mess as Mobile P4's,
    > in that no matter what speed Mobile P4 you buy, it starts up
    > at 12x100, and then you overclock the hell out of the FSB, to
    > make a processor out of it. A multiplier of 6 on the Mobile
    > Athlon makes that approach... difficult.
    >
    > I wish I could use the search engine over here. Maybe some
    > of the ideas in this thread will help - it's "bridge paintin' time"

    http://forums.amdmb.com/showthread.php?threadid=254737&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

    > This stuff looks very experimental. Which, I guess, is the
    > whole idea. Keep us posted if you get anywhere, as I'm sure a
    > few people with A7N8X boards are interested.

    Hi Paul,

    I've had some luck following a support call. It seems that the Asus A7N8X-E
    Deluxe can't detect the correct multiplier as you mentioned. I changed it to
    166x11 and the BIOS now shows "Unknown CPU Type 1833Mhz" which is the
    correct speed. Apparently this is all in order and the CPU is now running at
    normal desktop XP2500 speed.

    Thank you very much for the links above.

    Regards,
    Graham.

    In article <407e7ac0$0$16832$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "The Old
    Man" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> [...]
    > >
    > > I wish I could use the search engine over here. Maybe some
    > > of the ideas in this thread will help - it's "bridge paintin' time"
    > >

    > http://forums.amdmb.com/showthread.php?threadid=254737&perpage=15&pagenumber=5
    > >
    > > This stuff looks very experimental. Which, I guess, is the
    > > whole idea. Keep us posted if you get anywhere, as I'm sure a
    > > few people with A7N8X boards are interested.
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > > Paul
    >
    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > I've had some luck following a support call. It seems that the Asus A7N8X-E
    > Deluxe can't detect the correct multiplier as you mentioned. I changed it to
    > 166x11 and the BIOS now shows "Unknown CPU Type 1833Mhz" which is the
    > correct speed. Apparently this is all in order and the CPU is now running at
    > normal desktop XP2500 speed.
    >
    > Thank you very much for the links above.

    So, what range of multipliers do you get in the BIOS. Just the
    low ones ? I mean, this sounds better than the results I dug
    up in those web pages. Is this a BIOS version issue ?

    Paul

    "The Old Man" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message

    > > In article <407e12b0$0$17900$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "The
    Old
    > > Man" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
    <snip>

    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > I've had some luck following a support call. It seems that the Asus
    A7N8X-E
    > Deluxe can't detect the correct multiplier as you mentioned. I changed it
    > 166x11 and the BIOS now shows "Unknown CPU Type 1833Mhz" which is the
    > correct speed. Apparently this is all in order and the CPU is now running
    at
    > normal desktop XP2500 speed.
    >
    > Thank you very much for the links above.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Graham.

    If your cpu/mobo/RAM can do it, a setting of 9 x 200FSB (with your RAM in
    sync ) should give you better performance, even though it is a slight
    *underclock*. You may have to raise the Vcore a little.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    > > Hi Paul,
    > >
    > > I've had some luck following a support call. It seems that the Asus
    A7N8X-E
    > > Deluxe can't detect the correct multiplier as you mentioned. I changed
    it to
    > > 166x11 and the BIOS now shows "Unknown CPU Type 1833Mhz" which is the
    > > correct speed. Apparently this is all in order and the CPU is now
    running at
    > > normal desktop XP2500 speed.
    > >
    > > Thank you very much for the links above.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Graham.
    >
    > So, what range of multipliers do you get in the BIOS. Just the
    > low ones ? I mean, this sounds better than the results I dug
    > up in those web pages. Is this a BIOS version issue ?
    >
    > Paul

    Hi Paul,
    I have the latest BIOS v1010 installed now.
    Multipliers available are from x6.5 to x14.

    I have found the system boots at 200x10=2Ghz @1.6v fine.
    If I change it to 200x10.5=2100Mhz, the system won't pass the BIOS Post.
    This is on 1.6v and on 1.7v.

    Regards,
    Graham.

    "Doug Ramage" <namxat666@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "The Old Man" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message
    > > > In article <407e12b0$0$17900$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "The
    > Old
    > > > Man" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > Hi Paul,
    > >
    > > I've had some luck following a support call. It seems that the Asus
    > A7N8X-E
    > > Deluxe can't detect the correct multiplier as you mentioned. I changed
    it
    > > 166x11 and the BIOS now shows "Unknown CPU Type 1833Mhz" which is the
    > > correct speed. Apparently this is all in order and the CPU is now
    running
    > at
    > > normal desktop XP2500 speed.
    > >
    > > Thank you very much for the links above.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Graham.
    > >

    > If your cpu/mobo/RAM can do it, a setting of 9 x 200FSB (with your RAM in
    > sync ) should give you better performance, even though it is a slight
    > *underclock*. You may have to raise the Vcore a little.
    > --
    > Doug Ramage

    Hi Doug,
    I have Crucial DDR400 ram so I tried the 200FSB option.
    166x11=1.83Ghz at 1.575v and 200x10=2Ghz at 1.6v seem fine.

    However, if I go for 200x10.5 it won't boot past the BIOS Post screen.
    I tried 1.7v to giver her a bit more but no joy.
    Graham.

    >> If your cpu/mobo/RAM can do it, a setting of 9 x 200FSB (with your RAM in
    >> sync ) should give you better performance, even though it is a slight
    >> *underclock*. You may have to raise the Vcore a little.
    >> --
    >> Doug Ramage
    >>

    >Hi Doug,
    >I have Crucial DDR400 ram so I tried the 200FSB option.
    > 166x11=1.83Ghz at 1.575v and 200x10=2Ghz at 1.6v seem fine.
    >
    >However, if I go for 200x10.5 it won't boot past the BIOS Post screen.
    >I tried 1.7v to giver her a bit more but no joy.
    >Graham.

    Bartons hate 10.5. I'm running two 2500+ Mobiles. One is 197 FSB x 12.
    The other 197 FSB X 12.5. That's with $15 HSF that have over 30+CFM
    air flow.

    "Andrew J" <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote in message

    > >> If your cpu/mobo/RAM can do it, a setting of 9 x 200FSB (with your RAM
    in
    > >> sync ) should give you better performance, even though it is a slight
    > >> *underclock*. You may have to raise the Vcore a little.
    > >> --
    > >> Doug Ramage
    > >>

    > >Hi Doug,
    > >I have Crucial DDR400 ram so I tried the 200FSB option.
    > > 166x11=1.83Ghz at 1.575v and 200x10=2Ghz at 1.6v seem fine.
    > >
    > >However, if I go for 200x10.5 it won't boot past the BIOS Post screen.
    > >I tried 1.7v to giver her a bit more but no joy.
    > >Graham.
    > >
    > Bartons hate 10.5. I'm running two 2500+ Mobiles. One is 197 FSB x 12.
    > The other 197 FSB X 12.5. That's with $15 HSF that have over 30+CFM
    > air flow.

    Hi Andrew, what voltage are you giving them?
    Also, did they fail to pass the BIOS Post at 10.5 so you tried 11 and they
    worked?

    Regards,
    Graham.

    > "Andrew J" <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote in message

    RAM
    > in
    > > >>

    > > >Hi Doug,
    > > >I have Crucial DDR400 ram so I tried the 200FSB option.
    > > > 166x11=1.83Ghz at 1.575v and 200x10=2Ghz at 1.6v seem fine.
    > > >
    > > >However, if I go for 200x10.5 it won't boot past the BIOS Post screen.
    > > >I tried 1.7v to giver her a bit more but no joy.
    > > >Graham.
    > > >
    > > Bartons hate 10.5. I'm running two 2500+ Mobiles. One is 197 FSB x 12.
    > > The other 197 FSB X 12.5. That's with $15 HSF that have over 30+CFM
    > > air flow.
    >
    > Hi Andrew, what voltage are you giving them?
    > Also, did they fail to pass the BIOS Post at 10.5 so you tried 11 and they
    > worked?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Graham.

    Well Andrew, after a few minutes from reading your last, I guess your right
    about the fact that they don't like 10.5x200. I tried 11x200=2200Mhz@1.6v
    and its running like a dream! I'll try a bit higher afterwards and post back
    here.

    > "The Old Man" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Andrew J" <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote in message

    > RAM
    > > in

    > > > Bartons hate 10.5. I'm running two 2500+ Mobiles. One is 197 FSB x 12.
    > > > The other 197 FSB X 12.5. That's with $15 HSF that have over 30+CFM
    > > > air flow.
    > >
    > > Hi Andrew, what voltage are you giving them?
    > > Also, did they fail to pass the BIOS Post at 10.5 so you tried 11 and
    they
    > > worked?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Graham.
    >
    > Well Andrew, after a few minutes from reading your last, I guess your
    right
    > about the fact that they don't like 10.5x200. I tried 11x200=2200Mhz@1.6v
    > and its running like a dream! I'll try a bit higher afterwards and post
    back
    > here.

    Well, I pushed it on and it went up to 2.4Ghz so I'm really happy now!
    FSB/Multiplier results - Sucessful unless stated:

    166x11@1.575v =1.83Ghz
    200x10@1.6v =2.0Ghz
    200x10.5@1.6v =2.1Ghz BIOS POST FAIL
    200x10.5@1.7v =2.1Ghz BIOS POST FAIL
    200x11@1.6v =2.2Ghz
    200x11.5@1.65v =2.3Ghz
    200x12@1.75v = 2.4Ghz ran ok but prefered 1.775v
    200x12.5@1.8v= 2500Mhz WinXP loaded but rebooted in 3DM2001SE

    Average temp 50C in Asus Probe and BIOS.

    Graham.

    >Well, I pushed it on and it went up to 2.4Ghz so I'm really happy now!
    >FSB/Multiplier results - Sucessful unless stated:
    >
    >166x11@1.575v =1.83Ghz
    >200x10@1.6v =2.0Ghz
    >200x10.5@1.6v =2.1Ghz BIOS POST FAIL
    >200x10.5@1.7v =2.1Ghz BIOS POST FAIL
    >200x11@1.6v =2.2Ghz
    >200x11.5@1.65v =2.3Ghz
    >200x12@1.75v = 2.4Ghz ran ok but prefered 1.775v
    >200x12.5@1.8v= 2500Mhz WinXP loaded but rebooted in 3DM2001SE
    >
    >Average temp 50C in Asus Probe and BIOS.
    >
    >Graham.

    Neither of mine are above 1.7v. Your temps are good but if you can
    drop that a little it will run cooler. I raised my RAM and AGP
    voltages slightly which seems to help if you get a lockup after a day
    or two. These run 24/7 at 100% CPU usage fighting cancer.

    > >Well, I pushed it on and it went up to 2.4Ghz so I'm really happy now!
    > >FSB/Multiplier results - Sucessful unless stated:
    > >
    > >166x11@1.575v =1.83Ghz
    > >200x10@1.6v =2.0Ghz
    > >200x10.5@1.6v =2.1Ghz BIOS POST FAIL
    > >200x10.5@1.7v =2.1Ghz BIOS POST FAIL
    > >200x11@1.6v =2.2Ghz
    > >200x11.5@1.65v =2.3Ghz
    > >200x12@1.75v = 2.4Ghz ran ok but prefered 1.775v
    > >200x12.5@1.8v= 2500Mhz WinXP loaded but rebooted in 3DM2001SE
    > >
    > >Average temp 50C in Asus Probe and BIOS.
    > >
    > >Graham.
    >
    > Neither of mine are above 1.7v. Your temps are good but if you can
    > drop that a little it will run cooler. I raised my RAM and AGP
    > voltages slightly which seems to help if you get a lockup after a day
    > or two. These run 24/7 at 100% CPU usage fighting cancer.

    I found 2.4Ghz would sometimes close the application. Running at
    2.3Ghz@1.65v seems fine with no problems and it averages 46C. I wouldn't
    know how much extra to give the ram etc.

Asus Mobile Motherboards