P4R800-VM Boot problems XP Home

Bought a new P4R800-VM (ATI RADEON 9100 IGP) motherboard.
Celeron 2.4Ghz
WinXP Home SP1a. Can boot to CD, load XP, setup, and finish loading XP.
Then,
on first boot, it hangs at the splash screen. The status animation (line
with blue bars) scrolls thru once, and stops near the second pass, and stays
there. I let it sit once overnight, to see if it would continue. No dice.

I can boot to safe mode, but there is nothing wrong in device manager. Only
a few yellow question marks, because of video, sound
not having device drivers yet. And of course, in safe mode, it wont run the
Asus driver disk.

Anyone have any clues? On how to load XP Home SP1 from CD, and then get the
Asus 9100IGP motherboard drivers installed?
7 answers Last reply
More about p4r800 boot problems home

    In article <Zbpfc.51391$467.12144555@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, "Ken Zito"
    <kzito@ooptonline.net> wrote:

    > Bought a new P4R800-VM (ATI RADEON 9100 IGP) motherboard.
    > Celeron 2.4Ghz
    > WinXP Home SP1a. Can boot to CD, load XP, setup, and finish loading XP.
    > Then,
    > on first boot, it hangs at the splash screen. The status animation (line
    > with blue bars) scrolls thru once, and stops near the second pass, and stays
    > there. I let it sit once overnight, to see if it would continue. No dice.
    >
    > I can boot to safe mode, but there is nothing wrong in device manager. Only
    > a few yellow question marks, because of video, sound
    > not having device drivers yet. And of course, in safe mode, it wont run the
    > Asus driver disk.
    >
    > Anyone have any clues? On how to load XP Home SP1 from CD, and then get the
    > Asus 9100IGP motherboard drivers installed?

    Did you test the memory before installing the OS ?
    (See memtest+ from memtest.org)

    One owner of this system had good luck using PC2100 ram.
    -VM boards generally don't have a lot of adjustments (in
    this case, all you've got is "DRAM CAS Select" [Slow]).
    Since there is no voltage adjust or measurement capability
    for the DRAM voltage, using PC3200 might be difficult, especially
    if the DRAM is expecting 2.6V or a little more, instead of
    the 2.5V that is good enough for PC2700 or slower memory.

    Without some feedback on what memory timings are being used,
    it is hard to tell if the BIOS is actually using what is
    contained in the SPD on the DIMM, or is using loose timing
    values. A guess would be, since the BIOS offers no adjustments,
    it is going to need more work by Asus, before it can read
    the SPD in any DIMM and come up with good hardware settings for
    the motherboard. Maybe that is why the trick of plugging in a
    PC2100 (which has slow numbers stored in the SPD) could be
    helping.

    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/search.php (search for P4R800-VM)
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=61383

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Thanks for the quick reply Paul. I am using PC2100 DDR ram. I have not run a
    memory test on it though. I tried using 2 different PC2100 DIMMS, one used
    and one brand new. Same effect. Sigh...

    Ken

    "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:nospam-
    > Did you test the memory before installing the OS ?
    > (See memtest+ from memtest.org)

    Also I had DRAM CAS in Bios set to FAST. I just set to slow and same thing
    happens.

    KZ

    In article <Rivfc.65049$467.13094278@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, "Ken Zito"
    <kzito@ooptonline.net> wrote:

    > Also I had DRAM CAS in Bios set to FAST. I just set to slow and same thing
    > happens.
    >
    > KZ

    When a board has no adjustments, the options are:

    1) Try what adjustments that are offered. You've done that.
    2) Wait for a BIOS version that works. That is a pretty slow
    and ineffective solution to the problem, as you don't know
    what the release schedule is, or if the problem is known.
    3) Change out some component to change the problem. You didn't say
    if you were using PC3200 or not. Try a slower stick of memory,
    as that is the only way you have of getting a different program
    content in the SPD (serial presence detect) EEPROM on the DIMM.
    4) Return the motherboard under warranty.

    The -VM or -MX boards are typically used by businesses, for mass
    deployments where they are trying to cut costs. The person
    installing the large number of identical motherboards, experiments
    with components at first, to determine what combinations don't work.
    They do this for the potential cost saving. For example, multiple
    system builders have commented on how little trouble they've had
    using P4P800-VM boards, so the -VM boards can be tamed if you are
    lucky with your experiments.

    For a person who is building just one computer, the temptation to
    save money is also there. But the thing is, every subsystem on
    the motherboard has some degree of incompatibility. You can either
    spend your money on a motherboard with adjustments, or buy a
    board without adjustments, and spend your money buying multiple
    versions of peripherals or memory, and testing them until you find
    some that work.

    As a result, if a home builder asks for a recommendation, I'd say
    "buy a P4P800 or P4C800 full size board", as there are adjustable
    memory timings, and adjustable supply voltages for the components.
    The motherboard costs more, but there is a much greater chance the
    final product will work properly. If a system builder asks, I'd
    say "buy the P4P800-VM", knowing the system builder can amortize
    the cost of the component experiments over the large number of
    units being deployed.

    I put together a system before Christmas for somebody as a gift,
    and the system would only run at CAS 2.5, even though I put CAS 2
    memory in it. There was nothing I could do about it, as the BIOS
    was the un-adjustable kind. You just have to play with them, until
    you find something that works (good enough).

    This is why, before you buy, it pays to Google the model number,
    to see if people are experiencing problems. Also, download the
    user manual, to see how many adjustments are in the BIOS. For
    the most part, if you do those checks before purchase, there
    will be fewer surprises during your build. (There can still
    be nasty surprises, but fewer of them.)

    It is too bad that all the microATX style boards seem to be
    the "unadjustable BIOS" kind. It makes constructing a smaller
    home computer that much more difficult.

    Use the memtest+ program to test the memory, as my suggestion
    is just a theory, and you need to prove that the memory is
    the problem, before swapping memories. It could easily be
    you have another kind of problem. The memtest+ program is
    free.

    HTH,
    Paul

    In article <chvfc.65031$467.13089215@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, "Ken Zito"
    <kzito@ooptonline.net> wrote:

    > Thanks for the quick reply Paul. I am using PC2100 DDR ram. I have not run a
    > memory test on it though. I tried using 2 different PC2100 DIMMS, one used
    > and one brand new. Same effect. Sigh...
    >
    > Ken
    >

    > "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:nospam-
    > > Did you test the memory before installing the OS ?
    > > (See memtest+ from memtest.org)

    The memory test doesn't solve your problem, but given that many
    people are having issues, it shouldn't be ignored.

    As for the driver end of things, can you copy any of the CD onto
    your hard drive ?

    There are drivers on the ATI web page:

    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/igp-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=igp&prod=IGPXPdriver&submit.x=11&submit.y=3

    They list a GART driver, display driver, LAN driver, and SMBUS driver.

    Asus also has a rolled up driver package in two parts on the download
    page, which presumably contains the same content as the 36.7MB of
    stuff on the ATI site. The Asus download is 31.4MB, in two sections.
    (The servers seem to be pretty heavily loaded right now.)

    http://www.asus.it/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4R800-VM&Type=All&SLanguage=en-us

    I don't know if you can do anything with those in Safe Mode or not.

    Paul

    Try disabling your CD or DVD drives from BIOS, and see if XP will boot
    completely then.

    If so, it just another ATAPI glitch with the 9100IGP , others have had it
    with certian IDE drives.

    > In article <chvfc.65031$467.13089215@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, "Ken Zito"
    > <kzito@ooptonline.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the quick reply Paul. I am using PC2100 DDR ram. I have not
    run a
    > > memory test on it though. I tried using 2 different PC2100 DIMMS, one
    used
    > > and one brand new. Same effect. Sigh...
    > >
    > > Ken
    > >

    > > "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:nospam-
    > > > Did you test the memory before installing the OS ?
    > > > (See memtest+ from memtest.org)
    >
    > The memory test doesn't solve your problem, but given that many
    > people are having issues, it shouldn't be ignored.
    >
    > As for the driver end of things, can you copy any of the CD onto
    > your hard drive ?
    >
    > There are drivers on the ATI web page:

    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/igp-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=igp&pr
    od=IGPXPdriver&submit.x=11&submit.y=3

    > They list a GART driver, display driver, LAN driver, and SMBUS driver.
    >
    > Asus also has a rolled up driver package in two parts on the download
    > page, which presumably contains the same content as the 36.7MB of
    > stuff on the ATI site. The Asus download is 31.4MB, in two sections.
    > (The servers seem to be pretty heavily loaded right now.)

    http://www.asus.it/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4R800-VM&Type=All&S
    Language=en-us

    > I don't know if you can do anything with those in Safe Mode or not.
    >
    > Paul

    Don't know if this will help you, but I have 2 sticks of generic,
    single-sided 256MB PC2100 CAS2 in my P4R800-VM running dual channel. I'm
    also using a Celeron 2.6GHz. If you are running more than one stick, have
    you tried swapping slots? Perhaps swapping slots might also be worth trying
    with a single stick.

    Dave

    --
    ______________________________
    Remove "yourclothes" to reply directly.
    "Ken Zito" <kzito@ooptonline.net> wrote in message

    > Bought a new P4R800-VM (ATI RADEON 9100 IGP) motherboard.
    > Celeron 2.4Ghz
    > WinXP Home SP1a. Can boot to CD, load XP, setup, and finish loading XP.
    > Then,
    > on first boot, it hangs at the splash screen. The status animation (line
    > with blue bars) scrolls thru once, and stops near the second pass, and
    stays
    > there. I let it sit once overnight, to see if it would continue. No dice.
    >
    > I can boot to safe mode, but there is nothing wrong in device manager.
    Only
    > a few yellow question marks, because of video, sound
    > not having device drivers yet. And of course, in safe mode, it wont run
    the
    > Asus driver disk.
    >
    > Anyone have any clues? On how to load XP Home SP1 from CD, and then get
    the
    > Asus 9100IGP motherboard drivers installed?

Asus Boot Windows XP Motherboards