P4C800-E Deluxe - New Install - wont boot - Monitor on sta..

Hello,

I just bought components to build a new PC
Setup is,

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel P4E 2.8 (Prescott)
ATI Radeon 9800pro
1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel.
2x 80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
1x 40GB IDE HDD
DVD R/W etc etc etc
400W ATX case

After hooking everything up, powering on,
Activity on the HDD's, LED's light up, fans spin but no display
(Monitor is on standby) and does not bootup.

I've tried switching the RAM to different slots, trying just I dimm,
tried taking out the Mainboard and just hooking up the essentials,
keyboard, mouse, RAM and video card, still nothing.

Everything is hooked up properly, I did miss the 12V 4pin power cord
at the start. I havent tried flashing the bios yet but I doubt that's
going to do much, but still ....

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it most likely a bad motherboard?
I doubt it's the RAM or Video card.

-Phil
6 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 deluxe install wont boot monitor

    In article <179a0b45.0404142336.2df1aa8@posting.google.com>,
    phil_mccurdy@yahoo.co.uk (Phil) wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I just bought components to build a new PC
    > Setup is,
    >
    > Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    > Intel P4E 2.8 (Prescott)
    > ATI Radeon 9800pro
    > 1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel.
    > 2x 80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
    > 1x 40GB IDE HDD
    > DVD R/W etc etc etc
    > 400W ATX case
    >
    > After hooking everything up, powering on,
    > Activity on the HDD's, LED's light up, fans spin but no display
    > (Monitor is on standby) and does not bootup.
    >
    > I've tried switching the RAM to different slots, trying just I dimm,
    > tried taking out the Mainboard and just hooking up the essentials,
    > keyboard, mouse, RAM and video card, still nothing.
    >
    > Everything is hooked up properly, I did miss the 12V 4pin power cord
    > at the start. I havent tried flashing the bios yet but I doubt that's
    > going to do much, but still ....
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it most likely a bad motherboard?
    > I doubt it's the RAM or Video card.
    >
    > -Phil

    http://www.asus.it/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    P4-2.80E GHz(800 MHz FSB) (HT) (90nm) ALL BIOS 1014

    Is the BIOS version 1014 or later ? Check for a sticker
    on the flash chip.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Ok, yea I've read on several other forums about not having the correct
    bios revision. Hopefully there'll be a sticker saying what revision,
    otherwise I'll have to find another way to find out what revision.

    Thing is, I just got the motherboard 2 days ago, are there MB still
    with older bios revisions?

    Phil

    In article <179a0b45.0404150615.44140632@posting.google.com>,
    phil_mccurdy@yahoo.co.uk (Phil) wrote:

    > Ok, yea I've read on several other forums about not having the correct
    > bios revision. Hopefully there'll be a sticker saying what revision,
    > otherwise I'll have to find another way to find out what revision.
    >
    > Thing is, I just got the motherboard 2 days ago, are there MB still
    > with older bios revisions?
    >
    > Phil

    Asus tries to place a stable version of the BIOS on the board.
    It could be you've got 1011, for example. After Asus puts a
    BIOS on the website, they let the users test it for them,
    before using it in the factory production run. The BIOS that
    ships with a board will always be behind the current release
    on the website.

    In cases where new processors are introduced, sometimes you'll
    need to borrow a Celeron from somewhere, to flash up the board
    so it can use the fancier processor.

    Paul

    > nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message
    > > In article <179a0b45.0404142336.2df1aa8@posting.google.com>,
    > > phil_mccurdy@yahoo.co.uk (Phil) wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I just bought components to build a new PC
    > > > Setup is,
    > > >
    > > > Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    > > > Intel P4E 2.8 (Prescott)
    > > > ATI Radeon 9800pro
    > > > 1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel.
    > > > 2x 80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
    > > > 1x 40GB IDE HDD
    > > > DVD R/W etc etc etc
    > > > 400W ATX case
    > > >
    > > > After hooking everything up, powering on,
    > > > Activity on the HDD's, LED's light up, fans spin but no display
    > > > (Monitor is on standby) and does not bootup.
    > > >
    > > > I've tried switching the RAM to different slots, trying just I dimm,
    > > > tried taking out the Mainboard and just hooking up the essentials,
    > > > keyboard, mouse, RAM and video card, still nothing.
    > > >
    > > > Everything is hooked up properly, I did miss the 12V 4pin power cord
    > > > at the start. I havent tried flashing the bios yet but I doubt that's
    > > > going to do much, but still ....
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it most likely a bad motherboard?
    > > > I doubt it's the RAM or Video card.
    > > >
    > > > -Phil
    > >
    > > http://www.asus.it/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    > >
    > > P4-2.80E GHz(800 MHz FSB) (HT) (90nm) ALL BIOS 1014
    > >
    > > Is the BIOS version 1014 or later ? Check for a sticker
    > > on the flash chip.
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > > Paul

    A P4C800-E Deluxe I bought last month from Newegg has 1014 bios. The one the
    OP bought could have been in stock at the vendor for some time and may have
    an earlier bios.

    > In article <179a0b45.0404150615.44140632@posting.google.com>,
    > phil_mccurdy@yahoo.co.uk (Phil) wrote:
    >
    > > Ok, yea I've read on several other forums about not having the correct
    > > bios revision. Hopefully there'll be a sticker saying what revision,
    > > otherwise I'll have to find another way to find out what revision.
    > >
    > > Thing is, I just got the motherboard 2 days ago, are there MB still
    > > with older bios revisions?
    > >
    > > Phil
    >
    > Asus tries to place a stable version of the BIOS on the board.
    > It could be you've got 1011, for example. After Asus puts a
    > BIOS on the website, they let the users test it for them,
    > before using it in the factory production run. The BIOS that
    > ships with a board will always be behind the current release
    > on the website.
    >
    > In cases where new processors are introduced, sometimes you'll
    > need to borrow a Celeron from somewhere, to flash up the board
    > so it can use the fancier processor.
    >
    > Paul
    >

    > > nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message

    > > > http://www.asus.it/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    > > >
    > > > P4-2.80E GHz(800 MHz FSB) (HT) (90nm) ALL BIOS 1014
    > > >
    > > > Is the BIOS version 1014 or later ? Check for a sticker
    > > > on the flash chip.
    > > >
    > > > HTH,
    > > > Paul

    I had the same problem: clr cmos.
    "Phil" <phil_mccurdy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just bought components to build a new PC
    > Setup is,
    >
    > Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    > Intel P4E 2.8 (Prescott)
    > ATI Radeon 9800pro
    > 1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel.
    > 2x 80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
    > 1x 40GB IDE HDD
    > DVD R/W etc etc etc
    > 400W ATX case
    >
    > After hooking everything up, powering on,
    > Activity on the HDD's, LED's light up, fans spin but no display
    > (Monitor is on standby) and does not bootup.
    >
    > I've tried switching the RAM to different slots, trying just I dimm,
    > tried taking out the Mainboard and just hooking up the essentials,
    > keyboard, mouse, RAM and video card, still nothing.
    >
    > Everything is hooked up properly, I did miss the 12V 4pin power cord
    > at the start. I havent tried flashing the bios yet but I doubt that's
    > going to do much, but still ....
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it most likely a bad motherboard?
    > I doubt it's the RAM or Video card.
    >
    > -Phil

    Did you also check the seating of the CPU in its socket? Sounds dumb, but
    we had an identical boot failure recently on an Asus board. Disconnected
    everything as you describe, still no boot. Pulled the heatsink and found
    that the CPU had loosened in the socket after the heatsink had been clamped
    down. Reseated the CPU and heatsink, system booted and ran fine.

    Note that if you're using the OEM heatsink with the thermal tape, at least
    check its condition before you reseat/reuse the heatsink.

    "Phil" <phil_mccurdy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just bought components to build a new PC
    > Setup is,
    >
    > Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    > Intel P4E 2.8 (Prescott)
    > ATI Radeon 9800pro
    > 1GB OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel.
    > 2x 80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
    > 1x 40GB IDE HDD
    > DVD R/W etc etc etc
    > 400W ATX case
    >
    > After hooking everything up, powering on,
    > Activity on the HDD's, LED's light up, fans spin but no display
    > (Monitor is on standby) and does not bootup.
    >
    > I've tried switching the RAM to different slots, trying just I dimm,
    > tried taking out the Mainboard and just hooking up the essentials,
    > keyboard, mouse, RAM and video card, still nothing.
    >
    > Everything is hooked up properly, I did miss the 12V 4pin power cord
    > at the start. I havent tried flashing the bios yet but I doubt that's
    > going to do much, but still ....
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it most likely a bad motherboard?
    > I doubt it's the RAM or Video card.
    >
    > -Phil

Asus Motherboards