second hard drive not fully recognized

Hi,

I installed at 2nd HD 20 Gb Western Digital on my computer running XP Pro. It only recognizes 7 gig, I'm unable to use the 13 gig. Is there a fix for this.
3 answers Last reply
More about second hard drive fully recognized

    Check the website of your motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS update.

    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com
    "mark34" <markabber@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed at 2nd HD 20 Gb Western Digital on my computer running XP Pro.
    > It only recognizes 7 gig, I'm unable to use the 13 gig. Is there a fix
    > for this.

    What size does the bios think it is? If the bios sees it as 20 gig then you
    need to go into Disk Management and repartition and format.

    "mark34" <markabber@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed at 2nd HD 20 Gb Western Digital on my computer running XP Pro.
    It only recognizes 7 gig, I'm unable to use the 13 gig. Is there a fix for
    this.

    The funny thing is when I had XP w/o service pack 1 the entire drive was seen after installing xp sp1 only 7 gig is avaiable. I did reformat but to no avail. I even tried partion magic it sees the whole drive but it is unable to merge it with the 7 gig that's recognized.

Western Digital Hard Drives Windows XP