p3b-f and tualatin celeron cpu, cpu temp question?

Group,

I read so much here about people sticking a Tualatin CPU in their p2bs
and p3bs that I had to go and try it myself in my p3b-f. I used a 1.3
GHz cpu and a slot-t since both were relatively cheap. Everything works
fine, but then I am not overclocking. I do notice that asusprobe
reports that this cpu is about 10 degrees C warmer than my p3-750MHz,
mid 40s versus mid 30s. Is this normal or do I have a cooling problem.
The cpu is a retail version with stock fan. Under heavy load encoding
a DVD, the temp rises to 51C or so.

Thanks,

Don

Paul

Splendid

In article <mUJfc.188$yB2.72158@news.uswest.net>, Donald White
<dbwhite@asu.educational> wrote:

> Group,
>
> I read so much here about people sticking a Tualatin CPU in their p2bs
> and p3bs that I had to go and try it myself in my p3b-f. I used a 1.3
> GHz cpu and a slot-t since both were relatively cheap. Everything works
> fine, but then I am not overclocking. I do notice that asusprobe
> reports that this cpu is about 10 degrees C warmer than my p3-750MHz,
> mid 40s versus mid 30s. Is this normal or do I have a cooling problem.
> The cpu is a retail version with stock fan. Under heavy load encoding
> a DVD, the temp rises to 51C or so.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don

You could check the Vcore being fed to the processor. Look up the
five character code called the SSPEC on the processor, at this site:

http://processorfinder.intel.com

Compare the Vcore listed, to the Vcore shown in the BIOS Power
Monitor page. (Probably in the neighbourhood of 1.5V.)

A processor can run hot if it runs faster than normal (overclock),
you are using a higher Vcore than normal, or the cooling solution
isn't making good contact.

Also, check the "motherboard temperature". If the air in the
case is hotter than normal, the CPU cooling solution won't work
as well as if the case air was cooler. So, really, it is the
delta_T and not the absolute temp, that tells you how good the
cooling is working.

HTH,
Paul

Donald White schrieb:

> Group,
>
> I read so much here about people sticking a Tualatin CPU in their p2bs
> and p3bs that I had to go and try it myself in my p3b-f. I used a 1.3
> GHz cpu and a slot-t since both were relatively cheap. Everything works
> fine, but then I am not overclocking. I do notice that asusprobe
> reports that this cpu is about 10 degrees C warmer than my p3-750MHz,
> mid 40s versus mid 30s. Is this normal or do I have a cooling problem.
> The cpu is a retail version with stock fan. Under heavy load encoding
> a DVD, the temp rises to 51C or so.

These seem perfectly normal temps for a 1.3 GHz Tualatin. You also have
to keep in mind that this processor not only has a higher maximum power
dissipation (TDP is 33.4 W instead of 19.5 W) but also exhibits
considerable leakage currents that drive idle power consumption to
almost 15 W. (The Tualatin was Intel's first 0.13µ processor, and it
shows.)

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Paul wrote:

> You could check the Vcore being fed to the processor. Look up the
> five character code called the SSPEC on the processor, at this site:
>
> http://processorfinder.intel.com
>
> Compare the Vcore listed, to the Vcore shown in the BIOS Power
> Monitor page. (Probably in the neighbourhood of 1.5V.)

Vcore is slightly under 1.5, 1.472-1.49, as reported by BIOS, cpuid and
asusprobe. This is true regardless of the BIOS Vcore setting. I get a
Vcore warning on boot if I do not set the BIOS monitor to ignore Vcore
voltage errors. This seems to be normal for this MB/CPU combination.

> A processor can run hot if it runs faster than normal (overclock),
> you are using a higher Vcore than normal, or the cooling solution
> isn't making good contact.

No overclocking here.

> Also, check the "motherboard temperature". If the air in the
> case is hotter than normal, the CPU cooling solution won't work
> as well as if the case air was cooler. So, really, it is the
> delta_T and not the absolute temp, that tells you how good the
> cooling is working.

MB temp is 32C which is 3-4 degrees above room temp. Case has extra
inlet and outlet fans, plus HD fans.

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> These seem perfectly normal temps for a 1.3 GHz Tualatin. You also have
> to keep in mind that this processor not only has a higher maximum power
> dissipation (TDP is 33.4 W instead of 19.5 W) but also exhibits
> considerable leakage currents that drive idle power consumption to
> almost 15 W. (The Tualatin was Intel's first 0.13µ processor, and it
> shows.)
>
> Stephan

Thanks, I didn't realize the cpu TDP increased so much. I will watch my
case temperatures to see if more cooling is needed there.

Don