"system failed cpu test" on P4P800

I really hope somebody can help with this one.
My specs.

Antec Sonata 380W TruePower ATX12V
P4 3.0
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
1GB Kingston RAM DDC PC-3200
ATI Radeon 9800
Maxtor SATA 160GB Harddrive
DVD Drive

I have add this system for about 2 weeks.
After 1 week of running with 0 problem, the issues started up.

"system failed cpu test". I am starting to really hate that girl's
voice. lol.
This message will come up just when getting into Windows XP.
Sometimes, Windows will start and things will work for about 5
minutes, 10 minutes, even 2-3 hours before the message. Sometimes the
message will come up but Windows will keep working.

I have noticed that the voltages are off sometimes.
3.3V can drop below 3.0V at times.
5.0V can drop to about 4.2V at times.
These will bring up the message about the CPU immediately.

Also sometimes on boot, the board doesn't pickup the harddrive. It
will complain that it has nothing to boot from. Sure enough in the
BIOS it only is picking up the DVD Drive. But after yet another boot
the Maxtor drive is there.

I took this system in to be serviced with the complaints above. Their
solution. We upgrade the BIOS and ran a game (in a loop) for 24 hours.
No errors. Came home with the system (very suspect of their work) and
right away my old friend greated me with a quick "system failed cpu
test".

They suggested that the power supply out of my outlet is the cause.
They said it must have a drop in power and therefore the machine is
loosing power and the message occurs. They had no problem cause they
have 'certified hydro power' whatever the #@$$ that is.

So I changed power outlets. Even tried a friend's house. The problem
continues.
I am taking this box back to the store. I suspect that either the
board or the power supply is the cause.

Any suggestions on what else I can check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Splendid

In article <1HXfc.8338$dL6.540@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com>, "sbb78247"
<sbb78247@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Go check out alt.comp.periphs.videocard.ati and search for the sonata case
> and the radeon 9800. I seem to remember there being an issue with them.
>
> Shannon

Wow. I never would have thought of that. This thread (click Complete
Thread) discusses some issues with the 380W supply in the Sonata
versus the 9800. The suggestion in that thread, is the 380W supply
is not the same as buying a retail 380W Antec Power supply.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl4212530036d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=9t5p50dk5ugbpst4jicplj54scb0oo74i0%404ax.com

Interesting theory.
Paul

In case this helps someone.

I swapped out the PS from my Antec 380W TruePower.
Put in a generic 300W PS and the problem went away.

I can say that the PS was working properly. Tests showed nothing
wrong.

I suspect the conflict was with the video card. But I don't have
access to hardware to allow for swapping things so the video card is
only an assumption.

Hope that helps.....