P4C800E-D won't boot from the XP cd-r

I want to reinstall XP-Pro in my non-overclocked computer using a 2.8ghz P4.
I have disabled my h.d, and floppy.
I get the 'Reboot and select proper boot drive..............' message. Then
I get a message instructing me to press <CR> to boot from cd. after
inserting the XP cd. Fine, except when I do press <CR> the machine goes out
and boots from the now dis-abled hard drive, anyway.

How can I get this computer to boot from the xp-cd-r?

--
Xmdhobbs@qwest.net
Remove X's to reply

    Michael Hobbs wrote:

    > I want to reinstall XP-Pro in my non-overclocked computer using a 2.8ghz P4.
    > I have disabled my h.d, and floppy.
    > I get the 'Reboot and select proper boot drive..............' message. Then
    > I get a message instructing me to press <CR> to boot from cd. after
    > inserting the XP cd. Fine, except when I do press <CR> the machine goes out
    > and boots from the now dis-abled hard drive, anyway.
    >
    > How can I get this computer to boot from the xp-cd-r?

    Disabling the HD (how was it done, BTW) does not prevent the
    system bios from identifying it if the ribbon cable is still
    connected to the IDE port. The proper way to boot from the CD
    drive is to make it the boot (or first) drive in bios setup.

    Hi and thanks for responding. First some more data: Ide drives only. H.D is
    on channel 1 and the only H.D. CD-R is on channel 2 as the only drive on
    that cable, also. Disabling my hard drive was done in BIOS. BIOS now shows;
    First boot device as cd-r (a plextor cd/dvd), and second boot device
    as --Disabled

    And the damn thing *still* goes out and finds the h.d.. and boots from
    that!!

    Having done dozens of asus computers, I am not at the moment a fan of AMI
    Bios. (have to blame something)

    I still cannot get this computer to simply boot from the XP-Pro cd-r.

    Michael Hobbs wrote:

    > Hi and thanks for responding. First some more data: Ide drives only. H.D is
    > on channel 1 and the only H.D. CD-R is on channel 2 as the only drive on
    > that cable, also. Disabling my hard drive was done in BIOS. BIOS now shows;
    > First boot device as cd-r (a plextor cd/dvd), and second boot device
    > as --Disabled
    >
    > And the damn thing *still* goes out and finds the h.d.. and boots from
    > that!!
    >
    > Having done dozens of asus computers, I am not at the moment a fan of AMI
    > Bios. (have to blame something)
    >
    > I still cannot get this computer to simply boot from the XP-Pro cd-r.

    How many drives are reported on the monitor, right after
    POST? What are they? If the CD-R drive does not appear,
    is IDE2 set up for auto-detect and CD-R jumpered per its
    manual? Is IDE2 working?

Asus Boot CD-Rom Windows XP Motherboards