steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

OK then here goes......My IDE ports are currently set to
DMA (UDMA-5) mode, and all works fine until I want to
download a large file from the internet. Everytime it
downloads, it is corrupt! I can get around this problem
by setting my IDE to PIO mode and my downloads are
perfect, but the problem then is that my machine takes an
eternity to boot up. I did some testing to try to prove
my computer is OK by using my secondary hard drive and
installing Windows ME on it and it all works fine, so I
can only think it's a problem within XP home. Any
suggestions ?

Check to see that you have the latest IDE drivers for your motherboard. Some
drivers cause corruption. They are usually replaced pretty fast by corrected
drivers.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK then here goes......My IDE ports are currently set to
> DMA (UDMA-5) mode, and all works fine until I want to
> download a large file from the internet. Everytime it
> downloads, it is corrupt! I can get around this problem
> by setting my IDE to PIO mode and my downloads are
> perfect, but the problem then is that my machine takes an
> eternity to boot up. I did some testing to try to prove
> my computer is OK by using my secondary hard drive and
> installing Windows ME on it and it all works fine, so I
> can only think it's a problem within XP home. Any
> suggestions ?

Thanks, I'll give it a try and post back

Thanks for the advice....New Nvidia nforce IDE drivers
installed and it all works perfectly.
:)...and now I'm very very happy

Thanks once again

Steve

Nvidia drivers were the ones I was referring to. I also had that problem
(-:

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Thanks for the advice....New Nvidia nforce IDE drivers
> installed and it all works perfectly.
> :)...and now I'm very very happy
>
> Thanks once again
>
> Steve

Glad to see I'm not alone.......

I've had the new ASUS A7NX8-E Deluxe motherboard with
Nvidia chipset on for approx 2 months now and I've
updated all the drivers apart from the IDE drivers, who'd
have thought that you need drivers for IDE.

I'm impressed with the new nv mixer as well...

Cheers,

Intel chipset mobos rock and the others.......

> installed and it all works perfectly.
> :)...and now I'm very very happy
>
> Thanks once again
>
> Steve

Glad to have helped you guys (-:

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Glad to see I'm not alone.......
>
> I've had the new ASUS A7NX8-E Deluxe motherboard with
> Nvidia chipset on for approx 2 months now and I've
> updated all the drivers apart from the IDE drivers, who'd
> have thought that you need drivers for IDE.
>
> I'm impressed with the new nv mixer as well...
>
> Cheers,

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

How do you tell if you have the latest drivers? No matter what I do I
can not get dma on the secondary ide. only pio on the secondary ide.
Actually there are 2 settings under properties. Device(?) 0 and
Device(?) 1. The top 1 (device 0) is "dma if possible" and it is in
dma mode. The bottom 1 (device1) is "dma if possible" but is in pio
mode.

I've tried everything listed several times.

primary and secondary ide set to "dma if available",
uninstalled ide channels and rebooted,
updated 708a firmware,
ensured that dma is enabled in bios,
tried cable select,
tried slave and master,
tried master and slave,
tried to update drivers on ide channel.

I must be missing something. Any other suggestions?

I've a new Dell 8300, p4, 2.8ghz, 120 sata hd, winxp pro, dvd rom, and
I added a Plextor 708a 8x dvd writer.

Thanks. P.

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<uoz$$QWLEHA.2388@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Check to see that you have the latest IDE drivers for your motherboard. Some
> drivers cause corruption. They are usually replaced pretty fast by corrected
> drivers.

When a devise on an IDE channel has issues, the IDE channel will reduce its
transfer rate for that device till the device operates properly. What you
have is an indication that one of the devices is faulting out.

Delete the secondary IDE channel from device manager. Reboot. Allow the
computer to re-detect the IDE channel. You will have to reboot again after
detection. It may solve your problem. Of course if the device connected it
truly problematical, you will soon be back where you are now.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Pete" <renroh57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do you tell if you have the latest drivers? No matter what I do I
> can not get dma on the secondary ide. only pio on the secondary ide.
> Actually there are 2 settings under properties. Device(?) 0 and
> Device(?) 1. The top 1 (device 0) is "dma if possible" and it is in
> dma mode. The bottom 1 (device1) is "dma if possible" but is in pio
> mode.
>
> I've tried everything listed several times.
>
> primary and secondary ide set to "dma if available",
> uninstalled ide channels and rebooted,
> updated 708a firmware,
> ensured that dma is enabled in bios,
> tried cable select,
> tried slave and master,
> tried master and slave,
> tried to update drivers on ide channel.
>
> I must be missing something. Any other suggestions?
>
> I've a new Dell 8300, p4, 2.8ghz, 120 sata hd, winxp pro, dvd rom, and
> I added a Plextor 708a 8x dvd writer.
>
> Thanks. P.

> > Check to see that you have the latest IDE drivers for your motherboard.
Some
> > drivers cause corruption. They are usually replaced pretty fast by
corrected
> > drivers.

Oops. Just read where you have done this already. Your device may be
defective and not reading the disk properly. Try a cheapo CD or DVD drive in
it's place. They can be had for about $25.00 now.