Using external mouse

I was using an Alps GlidePoint external mouse (and
keyboard) with my notebook which had Win98SE. I now have
newer notebook which has WinXP. I tried to connect this
mouse (and notebook), but notebook only has USB ports. So
I bought a USB to PS/2 adapter (made in China). But when I
connect everything, the mouse cursor keeps flickering and
then computer locks. Does anyone know what might be wrong?
Do I have to get a new mouse pad (that works with WinXP)?
Or is the 'USB to PS/2 adapter' not compatible with my
notebook or WinXP. It states that it will work with PC
Win98 SE, WinME, Win 2000, WinXP Netware4.11, etc. I
notice there is NO comma after WinXP and maybe it will
only work with WinXP Netware4.11 (I don't know what that
means).
Any help would be appreciated.

The USB to PS/2 convertor may not be compatible with the mouse. Not every
mice can be connected with a USB to PS/2 convertor.

As for "WinXP Netware4.11", there is not such product. You have to to into
consideration on the lcoation the device was made (China), so it is a "typo"
(typing error).

"Popodopolus" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was using an Alps GlidePoint external mouse (and
> keyboard) with my notebook which had Win98SE. I now have
> newer notebook which has WinXP. I tried to connect this
> mouse (and notebook), but notebook only has USB ports. So
> I bought a USB to PS/2 adapter (made in China). But when I
> connect everything, the mouse cursor keeps flickering and
> then computer locks. Does anyone know what might be wrong?
> Do I have to get a new mouse pad (that works with WinXP)?
> Or is the 'USB to PS/2 adapter' not compatible with my
> notebook or WinXP. It states that it will work with PC
> Win98 SE, WinME, Win 2000, WinXP Netware4.11, etc. I
> notice there is NO comma after WinXP and maybe it will
> only work with WinXP Netware4.11 (I don't know what that
> means).
> Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for answer. Would you know if mouse (in my
notebook with WinXP) has to be disabled before I attach an
external keyboard (with touch-pad mouse)?

Sorry, I do not! ach laptop model is unique.