Using external mouse

I was using an Alps GlidePoint external mouse (and
keyboard) with my notebook which had Win98SE. I now have
newer notebook which has WinXP. I tried to connect this
mouse (and notebook), but notebook only has USB ports. So
I bought a USB to PS/2 adapter (made in China). But when I
connect everything, the mouse cursor keeps flickering and
then computer locks. Does anyone know what might be wrong?
Do I have to get a new mouse pad (that works with WinXP)?
Or is the 'USB to PS/2 adapter' not compatible with my
notebook or WinXP. It states that it will work with PC
Win98 SE, WinME, Win 2000, WinXP Netware4.11, etc. I
notice there is NO comma after WinXP and maybe it will
only work with WinXP Netware4.11 (I don't know what that
means).
Any help would be appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about using external mouse

    The USB to PS/2 convertor may not be compatible with the mouse. Not every
    mice can be connected with a USB to PS/2 convertor.

    As for "WinXP Netware4.11", there is not such product. You have to to into
    consideration on the lcoation the device was made (China), so it is a "typo"
    (typing error).

    "Popodopolus" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I was using an Alps GlidePoint external mouse (and
    > keyboard) with my notebook which had Win98SE. I now have
    > newer notebook which has WinXP. I tried to connect this
    > mouse (and notebook), but notebook only has USB ports. So
    > I bought a USB to PS/2 adapter (made in China). But when I
    > connect everything, the mouse cursor keeps flickering and
    > then computer locks. Does anyone know what might be wrong?
    > Do I have to get a new mouse pad (that works with WinXP)?
    > Or is the 'USB to PS/2 adapter' not compatible with my
    > notebook or WinXP. It states that it will work with PC
    > Win98 SE, WinME, Win 2000, WinXP Netware4.11, etc. I
    > notice there is NO comma after WinXP and maybe it will
    > only work with WinXP Netware4.11 (I don't know what that
    > means).
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Thank you for answer. Would you know if mouse (in my
    notebook with WinXP) has to be disabled before I attach an
    external keyboard (with touch-pad mouse)?

    Sorry, I do not! ach laptop model is unique.

    > Thank you for answer. Would you know if mouse (in my
    > notebook with WinXP) has to be disabled before I attach an
    > external keyboard (with touch-pad mouse)?

Mice Notebooks Windows XP