P4PE and PowerColor ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Card Doesn't Work

I just got the card referenced above........brand new out of the retail box.

It is replacing an ATI 7500 Radeon Card. Drivers are updated.

The monitor is a ViewSonic VA800 flat panel with current drivers.

When I turn on the computer, the video states "TESTING" and that's as
far as it goes..................never gets to the bios or start up screen.

When I put the old ATI Radeon 7500 back, everything is working as normal.

Any ideas on how to get this card to work?
6 answers Last reply
More about p4pe powercolor radeon 9700 card doesn work

    "Eric Lancer" <ericlancer@not.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just got the card referenced above........brand new out of the retail
    box.

    > It is replacing an ATI 7500 Radeon Card. Drivers are updated.
    >
    > The monitor is a ViewSonic VA800 flat panel with current drivers.
    >
    > When I turn on the computer, the video states "TESTING" and that's as
    > far as it goes..................never gets to the bios or start up screen.
    >
    > When I put the old ATI Radeon 7500 back, everything is working as normal.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to get this card to work?
    Many of the high number ATI 'pro' cards, _require_ external power to be
    connected to the card to work. Check the manual for your card, it may have a
    connector like a floppy drive power connector, or hard drive power connector
    at the top right corner.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett wrote:
    > "Eric Lancer" <ericlancer@not.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I just got the card referenced above........brand new out of the retail
    >
    > box.
    >
    >>It is replacing an ATI 7500 Radeon Card. Drivers are updated.
    >>
    >>The monitor is a ViewSonic VA800 flat panel with current drivers.
    >>
    >>When I turn on the computer, the video states "TESTING" and that's as
    >>far as it goes..................never gets to the bios or start up screen.
    >>
    >>When I put the old ATI Radeon 7500 back, everything is working as normal.
    >>
    >>Any ideas on how to get this card to work?
    >
    > Many of the high number ATI 'pro' cards, _require_ external power to be
    > connected to the card to work. Check the manual for your card, it may have a
    > connector like a floppy drive power connector, or hard drive power connector
    > at the top right corner.
    >
    > Best Wishes

    This card has an external power connector and I have connected
    that..........

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:01:25 GMT, Eric Lancer
    <ericlancer@not.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Roger Hamlett wrote:
    >> "Eric Lancer" <ericlancer@not.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I just got the card referenced above........brand new out of the retail
    >>
    >> box.
    >>
    >>>It is replacing an ATI 7500 Radeon Card. Drivers are updated.
    >>>
    >>>The monitor is a ViewSonic VA800 flat panel with current drivers.
    >>>
    >>>When I turn on the computer, the video states "TESTING" and that's as
    >>>far as it goes..................never gets to the bios or start up screen.
    >>>
    >>>When I put the old ATI Radeon 7500 back, everything is working as normal.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas on how to get this card to work?
    >>
    >> Many of the high number ATI 'pro' cards, _require_ external power to be
    >> connected to the card to work. Check the manual for your card, it may have a
    >> connector like a floppy drive power connector, or hard drive power connector
    >> at the top right corner.
    >>
    >> Best Wishes
    >>

    >This card has an external power connector and I have connected
    >that..........

    You need to clear all the old ATI drivers out and do a fresh install.
    When I made this change I was forced to go through the registry and
    removed all references to the old ATI card before re-installing the
    new drivers.

    ChrisH wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:01:25 GMT, Eric Lancer
    > <ericlancer@not.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Roger Hamlett wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Eric Lancer" <ericlancer@not.hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>box.

    >>>Many of the high number ATI 'pro' cards, _require_ external power to be
    >>>connected to the card to work. Check the manual for your card, it may have a
    >>>connector like a floppy drive power connector, or hard drive power connector
    >>>at the top right corner.
    >>>
    >>>Best Wishes
    >>>

    >>This card has an external power connector and I have connected
    >>that..........
    >>

    > You need to clear all the old ATI drivers out and do a fresh install.
    > When I made this change I was forced to go through the registry and
    > removed all references to the old ATI card before re-installing the
    > new drivers.

    I could try this, but, the computer doesn't even get to the point of
    showing that a video signal is received.............it just says
    "TESTING" and that's it........no bios start up , no windows start up,
    nothing................

    Suggestion: Put the old card in, delete old drivers and set to basic resolution.
    Then turn off pc. Replace the card and do a clean install. this may work for you.

    Eric Lancer wrote:

    > ChrisH wrote:
    > > On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:01:25 GMT, Eric Lancer
    > > <ericlancer@not.hotmail.com> wrote:

    > >>This card has an external power connector and I have connected
    > >>that..........
    > >>

    > > You need to clear all the old ATI drivers out and do a fresh install.
    > > When I made this change I was forced to go through the registry and
    > > removed all references to the old ATI card before re-installing the
    > > new drivers.
    >
    > I could try this, but, the computer doesn't even get to the point of
    > showing that a video signal is received.............it just says
    > "TESTING" and that's it........no bios start up , no windows start up,
    > nothing................

    gja, Eric et al:
    Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
    DC)!
    One more thing. If you are using Win 9x (95 (SHUDDER!), 98, 98SE or Win ME
    (is that computing for the first millennium?), go into Safe Mode to change
    the resolution to 640x480. For some strange reason only known to Chairman
    Bill, this works better with uninstalling drivers.
    Peace,
    Paul

Asus Radeon ATI Motherboards