Mel

I have deleted a Nero cd burning software from my computer and since my LG cdrw has stopped working ,I uninstaled it and reinstaled it but this is the massage i'm getting (Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) can some one help me.
thanks....................

hi :)
u can fix ur problem by restoring ur computer by the date
it was working well and no problem with it

Mel wrote:
> I have deleted a Nero cd burning software from my computer and since
> my LG cdrw has stopped working ,I uninstaled it and reinstaled it but
> this is the massage i'm getting (Windows cannot start this hardware
> device because its configuration information (in the registry) is
> incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) can some one help me.
> thanks....................

Cross post, don't multipost...
I'll bite twice, but not more.

If Windows XP is giving you a massage, you better back away - that is not
included in the feature list and that is probably electrical shock you are
feeling.

If it is giving you a "message", then you can try this:

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.

Or try this:

http://www.dougknox.com/

Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
Windows Explorer.'
Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi Shehan,

You have answered me regarding the same problem in a previous post; I
understand what you mean about biting twice. However, there are lots of
people out there with similar problems - it's bloody frustrating especially
when you do not like mucking around with windows registry!

My CDWR (or is it RW?) has been u/s for months now and I was sure it was to
do with a windows update (probably SP1 - I did not have a problem before SP1
came out) and this has been confirmed of late by many postings, obviously as
more people update.

I assume SP1 is made up of the many small previous updates put together,
they did not effect the cdwr performance but the whole pack did!

Why cannot the MS and the hardware manufacturers get together and sort this
out? Or is it because the problems only arise after the warranty runs
out??!!

Guy Smith wrote:
> You have answered me regarding the same problem in a previous post; I
> understand what you mean about biting twice. However, there are lots
> of people out there with similar problems - it's bloody frustrating
> especially when you do not like mucking around with windows registry!
>
> My CDWR (or is it RW?) has been u/s for months now and I was sure it
> was to do with a windows update (probably SP1 - I did not have a
> problem before SP1 came out) and this has been confirmed of late by
> many postings, obviously as more people update.
>
> I assume SP1 is made up of the many small previous updates put
> together, they did not effect the cdwr performance but the whole pack
> did!
>
> Why cannot the MS and the hardware manufacturers get together and
> sort this out? Or is it because the problems only arise after the
> warranty runs out??!!

This problem is caused by third party software (if my solution fixed it,
that is) - usually its removal or an addition of some software like
Nero/Roxio for CD burning corrupts the entries I have you delete in my
response. Windows, after the deletion, normally recreates what it needs
without problem.

As for what SP1 is, it is in fact a roll-up of previous patches as well as a
whole slew of new patches not released to the general public before that
time - as is all service packs.

As for my "bite twice" wording, it was not meant to offend. I was merely
asking that in the future, if you are unsure which newsgroup to post in,
post in many at once instead of posting in one and then another. Decent
newsreaders will pick up on a crosspost (the latter example) and mark it as
read as well as my response will be repeated in the multiple groups without
me having to repost it there.

--
<- Shenan ->

Sorry you took me the wrong way No offence was taken, I was sympathising
with you.

If your solution does not work can I assume it is the hardware, should I try
the drive in another PC?

Guy Smith wrote:
> Sorry you took me the wrong way No offence was taken, I was
> sympathizing with you.
>
> If your solution does not work can I assume it is the hardware,
> should I try the drive in another PC?

It *could* be hardware, but in the majority of the cases, the fix (registry
edits) does the trick. There are other solutions out there as well, a
search of "Google groups" should reveal those.

--
<- Shenan ->

Tried that first. Problem was that no restore points that far back!

> Why cannot the MS and the hardware manufacturers get together and sort
this
> out? Or is it because the problems only arise after the warranty runs
> out??!!

Having used 95, 98 & 2K with NO such problems, it's clear that MS have
screwed up BIG TIME with their handling of CD & DVD drives in XP. Do we know
if SP2 will address this? Given that the CD is now as essential to a PC as
the floppy was 10 years ago, building an OS that clearly doesn't handle this
hardware well seems an odd way to go. IMHO, of course .....

JP