Found New Hardware: Generic Volume?

April 29, 2004 6:19:35 AM

Hi, everyone.

I posted the following in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general on Tuesday
afternoon. Still no response. Hopefully someone here will have some ideas,
because I'm at a total loss.

When I start up XP, I get a balloon notice in my system tray/notification
area that says, "Found New Hardware: Generic volume". I then get a Hardware
Installation dialog in the center of my screen that says, "The software you
are installing for this hardware: Generic volume has not passed Windows
Logo testing...(the usual compatibility warning)". I have two choices:
"Continue Anyway" or "STOP Installation". It doesn't matter which I choose.
If I choose to stop installation, XP immediately finds the new hardware
again, and I start all over! If I choose to continue, the same thing
happens 8-(. Eventually I manage to get out of the loop, but I'm not sure
exactly how.

I have no idea which device, or which hardware, is being referred to. I
have installed several new programs, all of which I've installed previously
without problems. The only exception was an old version of Nero, which I
had installed only on older Windows versions. I've uninstalled it, but it
didn't help.

How can I get Windows to stop doing this???? Thanks VERY much in advance
for your help.

--
Keith
Anonymous

i think u use usb flah drive or some one else use
this message only appear when u used usb based hardware
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 7:27:44 AM

Keith Russell wrote:
> I posted the following in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general on
> Tuesday afternoon. Still no response. Hopefully someone here will
> have some ideas, because I'm at a total loss.
>
> When I start up XP, I get a balloon notice in my system
> tray/notification area that says, "Found New Hardware: Generic
> volume". I then get a Hardware Installation dialog in the center of
> my screen that says, "The software you are installing for this
> hardware: Generic volume has not passed Windows Logo testing...(the
> usual compatibility warning)". I have two choices: "Continue Anyway"
> or "STOP Installation". It doesn't matter which I choose. If I choose
> to stop installation, XP immediately finds the new hardware again,
> and I start all over! If I choose to continue, the same thing happens
> 8-(. Eventually I manage to get out of the loop, but I'm not sure
> exactly how.
>
> I have no idea which device, or which hardware, is being referred to.
> I have installed several new programs, all of which I've installed
> previously without problems. The only exception was an old version of
> Nero, which I had installed only on older Windows versions. I've
> uninstalled it, but it didn't help.
>
> How can I get Windows to stop doing this???? Thanks VERY much in
> advance for your help.

Can you gleam any further information from your Event Logs?
How about in your device manager? Is there anything in there with a
"Question Mark" or "Exclamation Mark"?

--
<- Shenan ->
April 29, 2004 1:38:19 PM

Keith Russell wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I posted the following in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general on
> Tuesday afternoon. Still no response.

You have to actually go back and *CHECK* you know. There are replies.
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 2:33:27 PM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:36:44 -0700, chanzeb wrote:

> i think u use usb flah drive or some one else use
> this message only appear when u used usb based hardware

That was my first thought, too, because I do use a flash drive on my other
PC. However, I have never used one on the PC with the problem, and my wife
and granddaughter (the only other ones who use the system) wouldn't know
what a flash drive is, or USB for that matter.

Thanks for the reply, though.

--
Keith
Anonymous

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:38:19 +0100, Cerridwen wrote:

> You have to actually go back and *CHECK* you know. There are replies.

Thanks. I appreciate the information (but not the implication).

I have checked numerous times and never found a reply. For some reason, it
never appeared on my news server. I just downloaded from Microsoft's
server, and found ONE reply. Did you see more?

--
Keith
Anonymous

Seems that somebody tampered with the crypto/security services on your machine.
If that were you, please restore them to normal state.
Otherwise try System restore to rollback to a good state.

The "Generic volume" is pseudo device that represents every logical disk drive,
OS creates them automatically for every storage unit such as partition on hard disk,
USB flash and so on.

--PA

"Keith Russell" <google.5.wkr@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message news:1bkbbzj3anlz5.1n0h0gkvu33kg.dlg@40tude.net...
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I posted the following in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general on Tuesday
> afternoon. Still no response. Hopefully someone here will have some ideas,
> because I'm at a total loss.
>
> When I start up XP, I get a balloon notice in my system tray/notification
> area that says, "Found New Hardware: Generic volume". I then get a Hardware
> Installation dialog in the center of my screen that says, "The software you
> are installing for this hardware: Generic volume has not passed Windows
> Logo testing...(the usual compatibility warning)". I have two choices:
> "Continue Anyway" or "STOP Installation". It doesn't matter which I choose.
> If I choose to stop installation, XP immediately finds the new hardware
> again, and I start all over! If I choose to continue, the same thing
> happens 8-(. Eventually I manage to get out of the loop, but I'm not sure
> exactly how.
>
> I have no idea which device, or which hardware, is being referred to. I
> have installed several new programs, all of which I've installed previously
> without problems. The only exception was an old version of Nero, which I
> had installed only on older Windows versions. I've uninstalled it, but it
> didn't help.
>
> How can I get Windows to stop doing this???? Thanks VERY much in advance
> for your help.
>
> --
> Keith
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 10:06:43 PM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:06:42 +0200, Pavel A. wrote:

> Seems that somebody tampered with the crypto/security services on your machine.
> If that were you, please restore them to normal state.

Can you explain? How does one "tamper with the crypto/security services"?

> Otherwise try System restore to rollback to a good state.

I'll try that. Hope it isn't too late....

> The "Generic volume" is pseudo device that represents every logical disk drive,
> OS creates them automatically for every storage unit such as partition on hard disk,
> USB flash and so on.

VERY helpful information! I have repartitioned several times over the past
few days. Guess that's what it is. Only question is, how do I get the OS to
"install" the new partitions properly?

--
Keith
Anonymous

"Keith Russell" <google.5.wkr@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message news:D qiom6gskm4b$.52ymfj68usb5.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:06:42 +0200, Pavel A. wrote:
>
> > Seems that somebody tampered with the crypto/security services on your machine.
> > If that were you, please restore them to normal state.
>
> Can you explain? How does one "tamper with the crypto/security services"?

Stop or disable these services in Comp. Management, or change other settings.
If nobody did it - these symptoms also can be caused by misconfigured, or not properly removed
CD writing software (Nero, Roxio etc).

> > Otherwise try System restore to rollback to a good state.
>
> I'll try that. Hope it isn't too late....
>
> > The "Generic volume" is pseudo device that represents every logical disk drive,
> > OS creates them automatically for every storage unit such as partition on hard disk,
> > USB flash and so on.
>
> VERY helpful information! I have repartitioned several times over the past
> few days. Guess that's what it is. Only question is, how do I get the OS to
> "install" the new partitions properly?

Normally OS does this only once, as it detects each disk device...
something gets wrong :(

> --
> Keith
May 20, 2004 7:39:22 PM

Keith Russell <google.5.wkr@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message news:<1bkbbzj3anlz5.1n0h0gkvu33kg.dlg@40tude.net>...
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I posted the following in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general on Tuesday
> afternoon. Still no response. Hopefully someone here will have some ideas,
> because I'm at a total loss.
>
> When I start up XP, I get a balloon notice in my system tray/notification
> area that says, "Found New Hardware: Generic volume". I then get a Hardware
> Installation dialog in the center of my screen that says, "The software you
> are installing for this hardware: Generic volume has not passed Windows
> Logo testing...(the usual compatibility warning)". I have two choices:
> "Continue Anyway" or "STOP Installation". It doesn't matter which I choose.
> If I choose to stop installation, XP immediately finds the new hardware
> again, and I start all over! If I choose to continue, the same thing
> happens 8-(. Eventually I manage to get out of the loop, but I'm not sure
> exactly how.
>
> I have no idea which device, or which hardware, is being referred to. I
> have installed several new programs, all of which I've installed previously
> without problems. The only exception was an old version of Nero, which I
> had installed only on older Windows versions. I've uninstalled it, but it
> didn't help.
>
> How can I get Windows to stop doing this???? Thanks VERY much in advance
> for your help.

Had a similar problem with a drive that had DeepFreeze installed. Deep
Freeze created a second partition on the drive as part of its install.
I moved my files out of the second partition, uninstalled DeepFreeze
(including the second partion), reinstalled DeepFreeze and put
everything back on the newly created second partition. Everything A-OK
now.

Probably no where near what you've got, but may give you or the next
person some ideas. Is your drive in anyway partitioned??
July 25, 2010 1:57:44 PM

Quote:
Long ago, John said: I moved my files out of the second partition, uninstalled DeepFreeze (including the second partion), reinstalled DeepFreeze and put everything back on the newly created second partition. Everything A-OK
now.

I have a pretty similar problem (also using DeepFreeze) but I get three rounds of messages (and have only 1 disk frozen). Can you be more explicit about your second partition (was that a user-defined partition or DeepFreeze created?)? When you say second partition the second time above, was that the original second partition or what was the second partition after you removed the user created partition? Can you give tips on uninstalling and reinstalling DeepFreeze? I want everything A-OK!
!