View available wireless networks

When I right click on the icon in the system tray I get the normal response.
But when I then click on "View available wireless networks" none show up,
with the only enabled button being "Cancel." The darn thing is my wireless
802.11b still works (it's an open network at my office) and I am connected.
But I fear that, without access to the "advanced" button and page I will be
unable to connect to other secure networks which I have had access to before.
I did go in and restart the wireless zero configuration in the system
administrator files but with no result. Any suggestions? FYI, am using XP
home edition on a laptop and had access to the advanced options 'til about a
week ago. Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about view wireless networks

    "capmedia" <capmedia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I right click on the icon in the system tray I get the normal
    > response.
    > But when I then click on "View available wireless networks" none show up,
    > with the only enabled button being "Cancel." The darn thing is my wireless
    > 802.11b still works (it's an open network at my office) and I am
    > connected.
    > But I fear that, without access to the "advanced" button and page I will
    > be
    > unable to connect to other secure networks which I have had access to
    > before.
    > I did go in and restart the wireless zero configuration in the system
    > administrator files but with no result. Any suggestions? FYI, am using XP
    > home edition on a laptop and had access to the advanced options 'til about
    > week ago. Thanks.

    Have you upgraded to SP2? It has fixed a lot of problem in Wireless Zero
    Configuration. And be sure you have set the card to use Windows to
    configure the wireless network settings, if you can get to the Wireless
    Networks tab.

    Otherwise, strange problems can sometimes be fixed using WinSock XP Fix (log
    in as Administrator):
    After using it, you will need to reset any custom entries you may have made
    for you Wi-Fi card in Network Connections.

Wireless Wireless Networking