A7V333 USB controller

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I've had my board for a couple of years now but I've only just got my first
USB2 device.... and I can't get the USB2 controller to recognise it..... or
anything else. According to device manager all is fine. New device works
fine in the USB1 controller..... Anyone got any ideas? All windows updates
are installed using Windows XP Pro sp1.

:)bluebaz:)

Paul

Splendid

In article <efb525883135285726a59459356f91a8@news.teranews.com>,
"\:)bluebaz:\)" <bluebaz[spam]@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've had my board for a couple of years now but I've only just got my first
> USB2 device.... and I can't get the USB2 controller to recognise it..... or
> anything else. According to device manager all is fine. New device works
> fine in the USB1 controller..... Anyone got any ideas? All windows updates
> are installed using Windows XP Pro sp1.
>
> :)bluebaz:)

There are four USB1 ports hosted by the 8233 Southbridge. The
other four USB2 ports are handled by the VT6202. You need to set
the USB_EN jumper to enabled, and I think that jumper turns on
the VT6202.

If your OS is Win2K or WinXP, with a certain service pack, then
the VT6202 driver might already be in the OS. Older operating
systems require a third party driver, and this is sometimes
written by a company called "Orangeware".

If you really have a USB2 driver installed, there should
be one entry in the Device Manager that contains "USB2"
and the word "Enhanced". The Enhanced part refers to a
EHCI driver, suitable for controlling a USB2 logic block.
(An entry called USB2 Root Hub will show up when a USB2
device is plugged in.)

If you don't have a driver yet, they can be found on the Asus
download site. I dug some of these up before, and no doubt
all these links are busted by now:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=nospam-2408032330200001%40192.168.1.177&rnum=8

If you think the necessary driver is installed, try deleting
the entries in the Device Manager, so that Windows can
rediscover them on the next reboot. That seems to fix things
for some people.

If all else fails, try the USBman site:
http://usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm

HTH,
Paul

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

:)bluebaz:) wrote:

> I've had my board for a couple of years now but I've only just got my first
> USB2 device.... and I can't get the USB2 controller to recognise it..... or
> anything else. According to device manager all is fine. New device works
> fine in the USB1 controller..... Anyone got any ideas? All windows updates
> are installed using Windows XP Pro sp1.
>
> :)bluebaz:)

Bluebaz,
I don't know how deep you've gone into this already but check the
board's USB_EN jumper is on pins 1&2. Use the 2 ports located nearest
the audio jacks as the other 2 are USB 1.1 only. If you have case
mounted ports or ones in a PCI slot, make sure they are connected to the
blue USB header(2.0), not the black one(1.1). If your using case ports
that won't recognize USB2 and things are hooked right, it could be the
case's wiring/circuit board are not up to the higher standard for USB
2.0! HTH.
Rob

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Many thanks..... that's just about sorted it. Cheers.

It's not showing as USB2 mind you. Its says: VIA Rev 5 or later USB
Universal Host Controller > USB Root Hub > Camera... But at least it's
working now.

:)bluebaz:)
"Rob" <robc@insightbb.spambone.com> wrote in message
> :)bluebaz:) wrote:
>
> > I've had my board for a couple of years now but I've only just got my
first
> > USB2 device.... and I can't get the USB2 controller to recognise it.....
or
> > anything else. According to device manager all is fine. New device works
> > fine in the USB1 controller..... Anyone got any ideas? All windows
updates
> > are installed using Windows XP Pro sp1.
> >
> > :)bluebaz:)
> >

> Bluebaz,
> I don't know how deep you've gone into this already but check the
> board's USB_EN jumper is on pins 1&2. Use the 2 ports located nearest
> the audio jacks as the other 2 are USB 1.1 only. If you have case
> mounted ports or ones in a PCI slot, make sure they are connected to the
> blue USB header(2.0), not the black one(1.1). If your using case ports
> that won't recognize USB2 and things are hooked right, it could be the
> case's wiring/circuit board are not up to the higher standard for USB
> 2.0! HTH.
> Rob

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

:)bluebaz:) wrote:
> Many thanks..... that's just about sorted it. Cheers.
>
> It's not showing as USB2 mind you. Its says: VIA Rev 5 or later USB
> Universal Host Controller > USB Root Hub > Camera... But at least it's
> working now.
>
> :)bluebaz:)
> "Rob" <robc@insightbb.spambone.com> wrote in message
>
>>:)bluebaz:) wrote:
>>

>>>I've had my board for a couple of years now but I've only just got my
>
> first
>
>>>USB2 device.... and I can't get the USB2 controller to recognise it.....
>
> or
>
>>>anything else. According to device manager all is fine. New device works
>>>fine in the USB1 controller..... Anyone got any ideas? All windows
>
> updates
>
>>>are installed using Windows XP Pro sp1.
>>>
>>>:)bluebaz:)
>>>

>>Bluebaz,
>>I don't know how deep you've gone into this already but check the
>>board's USB_EN jumper is on pins 1&2. Use the 2 ports located nearest
>>the audio jacks as the other 2 are USB 1.1 only. If you have case
>>mounted ports or ones in a PCI slot, make sure they are connected to the
>>blue USB header(2.0), not the black one(1.1). If your using case ports
>>that won't recognize USB2 and things are hooked right, it could be the
>>case's wiring/circuit board are not up to the higher standard for USB
>>2.0! HTH.
>>Rob

Do you have the most current drivers for the camera and a cable capable
of high speed transfer?