Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

I have an A7V333 that has started locking up since I upgraded it from a
1900+ to a 2800+. The screen just freezes wherever it is with no error
messages. I can duplicate it quickly with some programs but with others it
runs forever without a problem. I have replaced the RAM and upgraded the
power supply to a PC Power & Cooling 510.

Does this sound like a bad processor or motherboard? The CPU tempeture
reports about 60c and the motherboard about 25c with ASUS Probe. I have
replaced the CPU cooler but that didn't change the tempeture.

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

P.S. upgraded the bios to 1017 and upgraded the GeForce video drivers to
the latest from NVidia.

"Leo" <news-account@cox.net> wrote in message
> I have an A7V333 that has started locking up since I upgraded it from a
> 1900+ to a 2800+. The screen just freezes wherever it is with no error
> messages. I can duplicate it quickly with some programs but with others
it
> runs forever without a problem. I have replaced the RAM and upgraded the
> power supply to a PC Power & Cooling 510.
>
> Does this sound like a bad processor or motherboard? The CPU tempeture
> reports about 60c and the motherboard about 25c with ASUS Probe. I have
> replaced the CPU cooler but that didn't change the tempeture.

60C does sound hot if that is not the diode reading at full load - I have an
a7v333 rev 2.0 with a barton 2500 (bios 1018) I have overclocked it to 14 x
167mhz (2338mhz @1.85vcore) and I find that if the cpu temperature gets over
55C that I have problems with it freezing. So I suspect your freezes may be
temperature related - as my lock-ups are. I suppose it depends on how hard
the programs you run push the cpu - things like FlaskMPEG; Virtual Dub;
Prime95 (on max heat settings) and games are the ones that bring my system
over.

Strange the change in heatsink did nothing, what is the vcore setting?
maybe a program that turns wait cycles into halt commands (such as cpuidle /
rain, etc) might be a work around in some instances
- have you tried running with the side off and using something like a house
fan blowing into the open case to cool the cpu and see if that makes any
difference to stability.

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

Thanks to those who answered. I have replaced the motherboard with an ASUS
A7N8X-E Deluxe. It is working flawlessly. All the USB ports are 2.0 and it
seems much faster. The CPU temp went from 60-61c to 40-43c. I am very
pleased.