stuttering/wobbles in cs:source

Just what the subject says. It will be nice and smooth and then
stutteringeffect (the wobbles as I like to call it) pause for a couple of
seconds then back to normal except a few feet from where I was. I have 1 gig
of memory an nvidia 6800 latest drivers and amd 3200+xp cpu. I even tried
lowering all my settings and playing at 800X600 and still happens. Other
players even think i have a speed hack because Ill be one place then the
stuttering happens and ill be in another place. I thought maybe it was lag
but others on the map didnt seem to be experiencing this. Anyone have any
suggestions ?
They would be much appreciated.

Oh and btw, I dont have any problems like this when I play hl2.
6 answers Last reply
More about stuttering wobbles source

    "lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in message
    | Just what the subject says. It will be nice and smooth and then
    | stutteringeffect (the wobbles as I like to call it) pause for a couple of
    | seconds then back to normal except a few feet from where I was. I have 1 gig
    | of memory an nvidia 6800 latest drivers and amd 3200+xp cpu. I even tried
    | lowering all my settings and playing at 800X600 and still happens. Other
    | players even think i have a speed hack because Ill be one place then the
    | stuttering happens and ill be in another place. I thought maybe it was lag
    | but others on the map didnt seem to be experiencing this. Anyone have any
    | suggestions ?
    | They would be much appreciated.
    |
    | Oh and btw, I dont have any problems like this when I play hl2.

    I only get this in HL2 DM. I think it's to do with the AGP aperture size. Try
    decrease/increase it. When that memory saturates or fills up it needs to swap
    out or get operated on to get more free space and during this operation you
    might see the wobbles! For me, the wobbles happen after a period of time and
    when it kicks in it doesn't stop and it makes you play like a noob :P So then I
    would quit tne game.

    "lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in message
    > Just what the subject says. It will be nice and smooth and then
    > stutteringeffect (the wobbles as I like to call it) pause for a couple of
    > seconds then back to normal except a few feet from where I was. I have 1 gig
    > of memory an nvidia 6800 latest drivers and amd 3200+xp cpu. I even tried
    > lowering all my settings and playing at 800X600 and still happens. Other
    > players even think i have a speed hack because Ill be one place then the
    > stuttering happens and ill be in another place. I thought maybe it was lag but
    > others on the map didnt seem to be experiencing this. Anyone have any
    > suggestions ?
    > They would be much appreciated.

    > Oh and btw, I dont have any problems like this when I play hl2.

    Assuming it's not just lag which is the most likely explanation, just because
    others aren't lagging it doesn't mean you're not (have you checked net graph to
    see if you are getting loss or choke?). It could be caused by a fragmented hard
    disk, it is unlikely to be Graphic Card/CPU/Driver related as you say HL2 is OK,
    I vote for lag though.

    lonesw0rdsman wrote:
    > Just what the subject says. It will be nice and smooth and then
    > stutteringeffect (the wobbles as I like to call it) pause for a couple of
    > seconds then back to normal except a few feet from where I was. I have 1 gig
    > of memory an nvidia 6800 latest drivers and amd 3200+xp cpu. I even tried
    > lowering all my settings and playing at 800X600 and still happens. Other
    > players even think i have a speed hack because Ill be one place then the
    > stuttering happens and ill be in another place. I thought maybe it was lag
    > but others on the map didnt seem to be experiencing this. Anyone have any
    > suggestions ?
    > They would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Oh and btw, I dont have any problems like this when I play hl2.

    THis is a common problem and I don't exactly know what the cause may be.
    It does appear in most cases to happen after a given time and then
    never go away.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    = Version 4.0 =
    = Here're some useful commands for CS:S. =
    = To try just type them into console while in-game. To have them on by =
    = default put them in either your autoexec.cfg, your valve.rc or make =
    = your own file and make it load automatically when the game starts. =
    = Credits: Crotch (for starting a useful commands thread) =
    = x6-Drew (for many useful commands) =
    = VALVe (for making the best game ever) =
    = disc3h (for giving some commands) =
    = ulti (for giving some commands) =
    = Thanks guys! =

    Console commands:

    <-- FPS -->

    cl_phys_props_enable 0 -- disables all the little cans and the rubbish
    cl_phys_props_max 0 -- sets range at which props show up
    cl_ragdoll_physics_enable 0 -- makes the models disappear once they are
    killed
    cl_show_splashes 0 -- no splashes, i don't know which ones, but who cares
    lol
    cl_smooth 0 -- a little less beauty, but 5-10 more fps
    fog_enable 0 -- removes the fog, better fps and visability
    mat_bloom 0 -- disables the bloom :)
    mat_bumpmap 0 -- removes bumpmapping, but yields a substantial fps gain
    mat_clipz 0 -- water wuality taken off, more fps (-dxlevel 90 -clipz 0 in
    command line)
    mat_fastnobump 1 -- faster bump mapping
    mat_fastspecular 1 -- faster specular mapping
    mat_mipmaptextures 0 -- makes textures lose their quality with distance,
    more fps
    mat_specular 0 -- removes specular lighting but may yield fps gain
    mp_decals 300 and less -- how much stuff will be kept in memory like bullet
    holes in walls, lesser = better performance
    r_avglight 0 -- average lighting on objects won't exist anymore (default 2)
    r_decal_cullsize 1 -- makes textures look good only when you get close,
    better fps
    r_decals 0 -- no decals, way more fps
    r_lod -1 -- worse texture quality, big fps boost
    r_propsmaxdist 1000 and less -- less objects fading distance = better
    performance
    r_rainradius 0 -- as i understand it, you won't see the rain
    r_rainsimulate 0 -- disables rain, thus more fps
    r_rainsplashpercentage 0 -- no splashes on the water from the rain
    r_rootlod # -- level of detail, from 1(min) to 7(max)

    <-- Usefull -->

    cl_crosshairscale (number) -- changes your crosshair size in-game
    cl_interp 0 -- only way to get sv_showhitboxes 1 to register hitboxes in
    same place as model
    cl_interpolate 0 -- same as before, to use together
    cl_showfps 1 -- shows your current fps in upper right corner
    con_enable 1 -- enables console
    jpeg_quality 100 -- 100% quality screenshots that you take
    mat_show_texture_memory_usage 1 -- puts a nifty little thing in ur top right
    screen that shows how much memory (in kilobytes) is being taken up by
    textures
    perfvisualbenchmark -- built in benchmarking utility
    showhitlocation 1 -- shows where you're hit
    soundscape_fadetime 9999 and soundscape_flush -- works similar to
    "stopsound" command from goldsource.
    cl_setautobuy weapon -- this will set 'autobuy' - buy: weapon of your choice
    (for weapon names check autobuy.txt in cstrike directory, this is good for
    making 1 key buy all you need :P buy aliases)
    autobuy -- you just bought a weapon(s) you chose in cl_setautobuy

    Command line statements:

    -condebug -- add debug messages to ingame console
    -console -- enables console in your game
    -developer # -- Sets developer mode to on/off/verbose (0-off, 1-on,
    2-verbose)
    -heapsize (number) -- dependant on the amount of ram you have (usually you
    should put the half of the full ammount), it MAY increase fps
    -exec <filename> -- executes a .cfg file in cfg directory (like autoexec for
    example)
    -nojoy -- i heard it could boost a little the game load speed (took it from
    1.6, didn't try)
    -noipx -- same thing
    -noforcemaccel -- cpl fix for mouse
    -noforcemparms -- that disables
    -noforcemspd -- XP mouse acceleration
    -startwindowed -- run in window
    -sw -- software rendering mode

    = The end for now. More coming. :) =
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    * I like toys and cake wrote:
    > Assuming it's not just lag which is the most likely explanation, just because
    > others aren't lagging it doesn't mean you're not (have you checked net graph to
    > see if you are getting loss or choke?). It could be caused by a fragmented hard
    > disk, it is unlikely to be Graphic Card/CPU/Driver related as you say HL2 is OK,
    > I vote for lag though.

    I don't suspect lag. It only happens after a couple of map changes for
    me. And pings are pretty good. Changing servers doesn't help. Seems
    sus to me that the OP has exactly the same setup as me and is having
    same problem.

    When I have lagged in the past, play becomes jerky but your position
    within the game is where it should be. You can run the same speed as
    everyone else etc, it is just that you freeze at one spot, then appear a
    bit further away and so on.

    This is different - you can actually run faster than other players. Eg
    - even with a mp5 or colt in hand, you can run faster than your team
    with knives in hand. Not a speed hack - probably only say 2-5%
    faster.

    It is weird. I hate it - I have not modded the game at all, and when
    this happens the game is not smooth like it should be.

    Like I said - I haven't noticed it since this last steam update, but
    haven't played for a long stint. Will give it a bit of a workout this
    weekend.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e : usenet@piggo.com

    * lonesw0rdsman wrote:
    > Yeah, I thought I was the only one with this problem to. Someone suggested
    > in a previous reply that maybe it was lag. My ping ranges from 30-50 most
    > of the time. I have dsl. What do you other guys have ? Im going to moving
    > soon and might go with cable. But if its not that i guess maybe ill go back
    > to playing cs 1.6 Except I really like the way source looks and plays. Oh
    > well.

    I have cable. Similar pings to you.

    Here's something you could try - now that bots are out, start your own
    server and play against bots for a while. See if it happens on your own
    server.

    Then go online and play for a while - the same amount of time, or
    longer, as when it used to occur. If it happens then, maybe network,
    netcode, or something like that.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e : usenet@piggo.com