my keyboard

April 29, 2004 12:51:20 PM

for some strange reason i seem to have downloaded a
microsoft update that messes my whole keyboard setting up
at the moment when i type shift+2 the @ sign appears and
there is only a dollar sign not a pound sign, have i
downloaded an american update driver for my keyboard or
something by accident?

More about : keyboard

Anonymous
April 30, 2004 6:08:21 AM

"YO help me plz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> for some strange reason i seem to have downloaded a
> microsoft update that messes my whole keyboard setting up
> at the moment when i type shift+2 the @ sign appears and
> there is only a dollar sign not a pound sign, have i
> downloaded an american update driver for my keyboard or
> something by accident?

Yes, this sounds like your keyboard has switched to US American layout,
although it's more likely to have been accidentally via the Control Panel
than as a result of a Microsoft update.
Go to Control Panel, and assuming your Control Panel is still in the default
XP "Category View", go to "Date, Time, Language and Regional Options", then
in that category click the "Regional and Language Options" icon. In the
ensuing dialog box, click the "Languages" tab, then the "Details..." button,
and ensure that the correct keyboard driver for your country (I'm guessing
"English (United Kingdom)"..) is installed and selected as the default.
Remove any other keyboard layouts that are present. Click OK when done.

Hope this helps..
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 11:45:36 PM

Thank you Mr. Holloway. I used your solution on an
English machine with a Japanese keyboard layout. (Driver
was previously set to 106/109 layout but I was still
getting the English key output when I typed.)

!