bluetooth vs. wifi in the ipaq 5400

June 8, 2004 9:59:33 PM

I just got an ipaq 5455 and was wondering how bluetooth compared to wifi (in
terms of accessing a network). Range and power consumption are what i'm
primarily wondering about. I've noticed that using my WLAN drops the time
remaining on the battery from over 10 hrs to less than 4 on a full battery,
but it does have the range to work anywhere in my house (even in places
where my laptop's WLAN card won't reach). Will the bluetooth reach an
access point just as far away, and does it take the same about of power as
the WLAN?

thanks in advance,
ed
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 12:04:20 AM

Bluetooth is for short range communication only - 10 meters. It will not
connect to hotspot (access point) runnining WLAN. These are totally
different technologies.

WLAN will work in this PDA in range of 100m or more.

--

..: Jakub KaƱczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

Personally, I explain Bluetooth as being the wireless equivalent of USB, and
WiFi is obviously the wireless version of an Ethernet connection. You CAN
use Bluetooth (and USB) to do network traffic, but it's not really what it's
designed for.

Clint

"Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message
> Bluetooth is for short range communication only - 10 meters. It will not
> connect to hotspot (access point) runnining WLAN. These are totally
> different technologies.
>
> WLAN will work in this PDA in range of 100m or more.
>
> --
>
> .: Jakub KaƱczugowski
> .: www.PDAclub.pl

June 10, 2004 1:15:21 AM

Reply to message from "ed" <cteel04.notthis@hotmail.notthis.com> (Wed, 09 Jun 2004 04:59:33) about "bluetooth vs. wifi in the ipaq 5400":
Bluetooth has a very low power consumtion. range is specced at 100m for a class 1 device but is practically lower. transfer rates are much lower at 700 kbps. it is more than adequete for Networking around the home. I use a BT Network bridged to a 100 Mbps LAN at home and wireless when roaming.
I can wander across the road to the park and still have an adeqete BT signal. The DUN profile comes in handy to connect via DUN on the "Server" without needing to directly connet that machine.

Bye
BillR <billr@removethisbitmvps.org>
Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:01:31 +1100

I just got an ipaq 5455 and was wondering how bluetooth compared to wifi (in
terms of accessing a network). Range and power consumption are what i'm
primarily wondering about. I've noticed that using my WLAN drops the time
remaining on the battery from over 10 hrs to less than 4 on a full battery,
but it does have the range to work anywhere in my house (even in places
where my laptop's WLAN card won't reach). Will the bluetooth reach an
access point just as far away, and does it take the same about of power as
the WLAN?

thanks in advance,
ed
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 1:15:22 AM

> Bluetooth has a very low power consumtion. range is specced at 100m for a
class 1 device but is practically lower.

But PDAs are not class one devices.

--

..: Jakub Kanczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl