Hard drive jumpers?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2004 8:31:18 AM

Im sorry that this post is off topic, but I find this NG to be the most knowledgeble on just about everything computer
related. I just got my 160gb SATA HD, and while usually the drives will have a diagram on them to show where the jumper
should be for Master, Slave etc, this one doesnt. It has 2 rows, 4 across. The Jumper is vertically positioned on the 2 on
the far right. The only diagram on it shows the jumper on the 2nd set from the right side, and says "PM2 Enabled".

I want to run this drive as Primary MASTER on my MOBO. Is the setting correct already? Its a WD1600JD.

Thanks..

More about : hard drive jumpers

April 20, 2004 9:37:06 AM

In article <f6r980hmsm6kl1unt1eghotk6agg6lk3vp@4ax.com>,
husker3in4@donotspam.yahoo.com wrote:

> Im sorry that this post is off topic, but I find this NG to
> be the most knowledgeble on just about everything computer
> related. I just got my 160gb SATA HD, and while usually the
> drives will have a diagram on them to show where the jumper
> should be for Master, Slave etc, this one doesnt. It has 2
> rows, 4 across. The Jumper is vertically positioned on the 2
> on the far right. The only diagram on it shows the jumper on
> the 2nd set from the right side, and says "PM2 Enabled".
>
> I want to run this drive as Primary MASTER on my MOBO. Is the
> setting correct already? Its a WD1600JD.
>
> Thanks..

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std...

"Western Digital Serial ATA drives have a jumper block located
next to the ATA power connector. There is generally no need to
change the default jumper setting in order to use the drive.
The only use of this jumper block is to enable or disable power
management for the drive. The drives ship in the default
position with the shunt on pins 1-2 (disabled). Alternatively,
the jumper can be removed completely with the same result.
Placing the shunt on pins 3-4 (enabled), designates that the
drive will power-up in standby mode. For most users the default
position should be used."

I guess since the SATA cable won't plug into an older motherboard,
there is no longer support for the limit or clip jumper. As there
is only one drive per cable, there is no notion of master/slave.
(At the speed the data signal works, signals have to go point to
point, and cannot be shared with more than one drive.) So, there
isn't much to jumper anymore.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2004 3:01:16 AM

http://www.wdc.com has the pin chart for that harddrive.

--
DaveW

"3in4" <husker3in4@donotspam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Im sorry that this post is off topic, but I find this NG to be the most
knowledgeble on just about everything computer
> related. I just got my 160gb SATA HD, and while usually the drives will
have a diagram on them to show where the jumper
> should be for Master, Slave etc, this one doesnt. It has 2 rows, 4 across.
The Jumper is vertically positioned on the 2 on
> the far right. The only diagram on it shows the jumper on the 2nd set from
the right side, and says "PM2 Enabled".

> I want to run this drive as Primary MASTER on my MOBO. Is the setting
correct already? Its a WD1600JD.

> Thanks..
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2004 4:38:52 AM

Thanks paul. I will just leave it alone. I am about to install it in a couple hours as soon as my backup is done.
Im wondering if I will have to do anything as far as the mobo seeing the whole drive. I have read some issues about that in
here. I have a P4P800, I was hoping I can just plug the cables in and reboot, then install windows on it straightaway. I
would be partitioning it into 5 drives. Do you think I will have the full 160gb available to me to partition up from the
winxp installation screen?

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:37:06 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <f6r980hmsm6kl1unt1eghotk6agg6lk3vp@4ax.com>,
>husker3in4@donotspam.yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Im sorry that this post is off topic, but I find this NG to
>> be the most knowledgeble on just about everything computer
>> related. I just got my 160gb SATA HD, and while usually the
>> drives will have a diagram on them to show where the jumper
>> should be for Master, Slave etc, this one doesnt. It has 2
>> rows, 4 across. The Jumper is vertically positioned on the 2
>> on the far right. The only diagram on it shows the jumper on
>> the 2nd set from the right side, and says "PM2 Enabled".
>>
>> I want to run this drive as Primary MASTER on my MOBO. Is the
>> setting correct already? Its a WD1600JD.
>>
>> Thanks..
>
>http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std...
>
> "Western Digital Serial ATA drives have a jumper block located
> next to the ATA power connector. There is generally no need to
> change the default jumper setting in order to use the drive.
> The only use of this jumper block is to enable or disable power
> management for the drive. The drives ship in the default
> position with the shunt on pins 1-2 (disabled). Alternatively,
> the jumper can be removed completely with the same result.
> Placing the shunt on pins 3-4 (enabled), designates that the
> drive will power-up in standby mode. For most users the default
> position should be used."
>
>I guess since the SATA cable won't plug into an older motherboard,
>there is no longer support for the limit or clip jumper. As there
>is only one drive per cable, there is no notion of master/slave.
>(At the speed the data signal works, signals have to go point to
>point, and cannot be shared with more than one drive.) So, there
>isn't much to jumper anymore.
>
>HTH,
> Paul
April 21, 2004 9:19:56 AM

In article <lv1c8016jvkoa5nm8cpk8c4v8lk0nsgmkc@4ax.com>,
husker3in4@donotspam.yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks paul. I will just leave it alone. I am about to install it
> in a couple hours as soon as my backup is done. Im wondering if I
> will have to do anything as far as the mobo seeing the whole drive.
> I have read some issues about that in here. I have a P4P800, I was
> hoping I can just plug the cables in and reboot, then install
> windows on it straightaway. I would be partitioning it into 5
> drives. Do you think I will have the full 160gb available to me
> to partition up from the winxp installation screen?

Have a look back in this newsgroup for some discussions about
large drives. There was mention of several Konwledgebase articles
concerning the EnableBigLBA registry setting. If you have a
recent enough install disk, or have constructed a slipstreamed
install disk, there might in fact be nothing to do (and no registry
entry either). With an older install disk, there is a registry
setting that can be enabled, but that would be tough to do if
the big disk is the install disk. Since I haven't been too
successful helping people in the past with this, I'll leave it
at that.

You also have to watch it with drivers, because large disk support
was only successfully implemented on some drivers within the last
year.

In any case, some advice I will give you, is to fill all partitions
with "fake data". I like to take a 1GB file (or even take an image
of a CD, at around 600+ MB) and duplicate that many times on the
disk, until each partition is full. The reason this is necessary,
is if your install isn't healthy, the first file that goes above
the 128GB mark, will cause instant file system corruption.
You want to make sure the disk is healthy before storing real live
data on the drive. You can also use a checksum program, to read
back the files and prove that the disk surface is good (the checksum
value on all the duplicated files should be identical).

That is what I would try, after installing the disk and partitioning
it. I've filled and tested my last two disk drives that way, before
putting live data on them.

HTH,
Paul

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:37:06 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> >In article <f6r980hmsm6kl1unt1eghotk6agg6lk3vp@4ax.com>,
> >husker3in4@donotspam.yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> >> Im sorry that this post is off topic, but I find this NG to
> >> be the most knowledgeble on just about everything computer
> >> related. I just got my 160gb SATA HD, and while usually the
> >> drives will have a diagram on them to show where the jumper
> >> should be for Master, Slave etc, this one doesnt. It has 2
> >> rows, 4 across. The Jumper is vertically positioned on the 2
> >> on the far right. The only diagram on it shows the jumper on
> >> the 2nd set from the right side, and says "PM2 Enabled".
> >>
> >> I want to run this drive as Primary MASTER on my MOBO. Is the
> >> setting correct already? Its a WD1600JD.
> >>
> >> Thanks..
> >

>http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std...
> >
> > "Western Digital Serial ATA drives have a jumper block located
> > next to the ATA power connector. There is generally no need to
> > change the default jumper setting in order to use the drive.
> > The only use of this jumper block is to enable or disable power
> > management for the drive. The drives ship in the default
> > position with the shunt on pins 1-2 (disabled). Alternatively,
> > the jumper can be removed completely with the same result.
> > Placing the shunt on pins 3-4 (enabled), designates that the
> > drive will power-up in standby mode. For most users the default
> > position should be used."
> >
> >I guess since the SATA cable won't plug into an older motherboard,
> >there is no longer support for the limit or clip jumper. As there
> >is only one drive per cable, there is no notion of master/slave.
> >(At the speed the data signal works, signals have to go point to
> >point, and cannot be shared with more than one drive.) So, there
> >isn't much to jumper anymore.
> >
> >HTH,
> > Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2004 8:04:05 PM

Problem is, the hard drive didnt come with an install disk?

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:19:56 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

> [...]
>> > next to the ATA power connector. There is generally no need to
>> > change the default jumper setting in order to use the drive.
>> > The only use of this jumper block is to enable or disable power
>> > management for the drive. The drives ship in the default
>> > position with the shunt on pins 1-2 (disabled). Alternatively,
>> > the jumper can be removed completely with the same result.
>> > Placing the shunt on pins 3-4 (enabled), designates that the
>> > drive will power-up in standby mode. For most users the default
>> > position should be used."
>> >
>> >I guess since the SATA cable won't plug into an older motherboard,
>> >there is no longer support for the limit or clip jumper. As there
>> >is only one drive per cable, there is no notion of master/slave.
>> >(At the speed the data signal works, signals have to go point to
>> >point, and cannot be shared with more than one drive.) So, there

April 21, 2004 9:53:53 PM

In article <ndod809sj61ou3f115tjjq8pabj8majhbn@4ax.com>,
husker3in4@donotspam.yahoo.com wrote:

> Problem is, the hard drive didnt come with an install disk?

Have a look at a thread like this one from Apr19/04. (I was
referring to slipstreaming or combining a service pack with
a Windows OS install CDROM) -

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&thre...

These KB articles are mentioned, but you should read the whole
thread listed above anyway. It is amazing how many different
answers there are.

48bit LBA in Win2K -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

48bit LBA in WinXP -