HD Format Problems.

I just recently installed an old HD in my XP box. The OS did not see the
drive, but computer management did, as a foreign disk. MS says to covert it
to basic. which I did. Now the drive is basic but has 75 gigs of unallocated
space. MS says to next create a partition, which I tried, it will not do it,
primary or extended. I tried formatting it in XP, and it gives me a : cannot
format drive error. I tried from the DOS prompt: format L: /fs:ntfs. and
gives me the following error:
Creating file system structures.
Format failed.

Anyone got any other ideas?

TIA
Lance

Did you try FDISK? Try using Partition Magic also.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:58:31 -0500, "Jediknightseal"
<jediknightseal@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I just recently installed an old HD in my XP box. The OS did not see the
>drive, but computer management did, as a foreign disk. MS says to covert it
>to basic. which I did. Now the drive is basic but has 75 gigs of unallocated
>space. MS says to next create a partition, which I tried, it will not do it,
>primary or extended. I tried formatting it in XP, and it gives me a : cannot
>format drive error. I tried from the DOS prompt: format L: /fs:ntfs. and
>gives me the following error:
>Creating file system structures.
>Format failed.
>
>Anyone got any other ideas?
>
>TIA
>Lance

Duh

You will need to create a partition in order to format, you cannot do one
without the other. You might try downloading a bootdisk from bootdisk.com
and running fdisk from the dos boot.