HD Format Problems.

I just recently installed an old HD in my XP box. The OS did not see the
drive, but computer management did, as a foreign disk. MS says to covert it
to basic. which I did. Now the drive is basic but has 75 gigs of unallocated
space. MS says to next create a partition, which I tried, it will not do it,
primary or extended. I tried formatting it in XP, and it gives me a : cannot
format drive error. I tried from the DOS prompt: format L: /fs:ntfs. and
gives me the following error:
Creating file system structures.
Format failed.

Anyone got any other ideas?

TIA
Lance
3 answers Last reply
More about format problems

    Did you try FDISK? Try using Partition Magic also.

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:58:31 -0500, "Jediknightseal"
    <jediknightseal@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I just recently installed an old HD in my XP box. The OS did not see the
    >drive, but computer management did, as a foreign disk. MS says to covert it
    >to basic. which I did. Now the drive is basic but has 75 gigs of unallocated
    >space. MS says to next create a partition, which I tried, it will not do it,
    >primary or extended. I tried formatting it in XP, and it gives me a : cannot
    >format drive error. I tried from the DOS prompt: format L: /fs:ntfs. and
    >gives me the following error:
    >Creating file system structures.
    >Format failed.
    >
    >Anyone got any other ideas?
    >
    >TIA
    >Lance

    You will need to create a partition in order to format, you cannot do one
    without the other. You might try downloading a bootdisk from bootdisk.com
    and running fdisk from the dos boot.

    "Jediknightseal" <jediknightseal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I just recently installed an old HD in my XP box. The OS did not see the
    > drive, but computer management did, as a foreign disk. MS says to covert
    it
    > to basic. which I did. Now the drive is basic but has 75 gigs of
    unallocated
    > space. MS says to next create a partition, which I tried, it will not do
    it,
    > primary or extended. I tried formatting it in XP, and it gives me a :
    cannot
    > format drive error. I tried from the DOS prompt: format L: /fs:ntfs. and
    > gives me the following error:
    > Creating file system structures.
    > Format failed.
    >
    > Anyone got any other ideas?