Unmountable...Boot Disks

alex

Hello,
I am experiencing the unmountable boot volume error. I read all the articles when other people have asked about this and I have only one question. Does anybody know if the setup disks that you can download from microsoft can be used in place of the original XP install disk? I misplaced my XP CD, but I would like to try the floppy boot disks but I thought I wouldn't waste my time if somebody already knows that this won't work.
Thanks,
Alex

Mike

Splendid

The 'six setup diskettes' download is useless unless you have an XP cd..

"Alex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am experiencing the unmountable boot volume error. I read all the
articles when other people have asked about this and I have only one
question. Does anybody know if the setup disks that you can download from
microsoft can be used in place of the original XP install disk? I misplaced
my XP CD, but I would like to try the floppy boot disks but I thought I
wouldn't waste my time if somebody already knows that this won't work.
> Thanks,
> Alex

Mike can you explain why the six floppy download is useless without the CD.
I understood they are for people who can't boot from the CD. I thought the
whole point of the floppies was to negate the need for the disc.

Thanks

"Mike" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> The 'six setup diskettes' download is useless unless you have an XP cd..
>
> "Alex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I am experiencing the unmountable boot volume error. I read all the
> articles when other people have asked about this and I have only one
> question. Does anybody know if the setup disks that you can download from
> microsoft can be used in place of the original XP install disk? I
misplaced
> my XP CD, but I would like to try the floppy boot disks but I thought I
> wouldn't waste my time if somebody already knows that this won't work.
> > Thanks,
> > Alex

Supertech

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Good evening;

The floppy download is only there to allow you to access the cd. It does
not supply all the necessary files to do a recovery. I know this as I had
the same set of circumstances and tried the floppies. You must get a full XP
cd to accomplish the repair. If you system is new you should be able to call
your equipment manufacture. Otherwise you are going to have to pony up the
$$.
I was lucky my warranty was still good and (Compaq) now HP sent me the CD
that supported my system and it worked great. The problem is disk drive
cache issue. You need to get SP1 installed ASAP that fixes the problem. (OR
turn off the drive write back cache it will slow your system down but you
will never have the sync problem again " not the right way to do things but
it does work. But you will still need SP1 ) ...

Regards,

Supertech

"Alex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am experiencing the unmountable boot volume error. I read all the
articles when other people have asked about this and I have only one
question. Does anybody know if the setup disks that you can download from
microsoft can be used in place of the original XP install disk? I misplaced
my XP CD, but I would like to try the floppy boot disks but I thought I
wouldn't waste my time if somebody already knows that this won't work.
> Thanks,
> Alex

Mike

Splendid

They are for use when the XP cd won't boot by itself.. think about it.. how
could six floppy diskettes with a total file capacity of 8.28 mb possibly
expand to create an OS as complex XP?.. the last vesion of Windows that came
on 6 diskettes was Windows 3.1..

"Midnight" <midnight@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mike can you explain why the six floppy download is useless without the
CD.
> I understood they are for people who can't boot from the CD. I thought the
> whole point of the floppies was to negate the need for the disc.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Mike" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > The 'six setup diskettes' download is useless unless you have an XP cd..
> >
> > "Alex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > > I am experiencing the unmountable boot volume error. I read all the
> > articles when other people have asked about this and I have only one
> > question. Does anybody know if the setup disks that you can download
from
> > microsoft can be used in place of the original XP install disk? I
> misplaced
> > my XP CD, but I would like to try the floppy boot disks but I thought I
> > wouldn't waste my time if somebody already knows that this won't work.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Alex

Mike you misunderstand. I know to install windows you need the cd but the
discs are for people who can't boot from the cd. I read the OP as wanting to
boot from the floppies to try and fix his system. I know if any files need
replacing he would need the CD but the floppies would get him to a command
prompt just like the cd would. From there you can run basic commands as if
you booted from the cd to the recovery console. I read your post as saying
that the floppies would not be any good without the cd, as though the
floppies looked for the disc for some kind of authentication.