Wireless questions

Hi:

Can you tell me please:

I have a desktop that uses high speed DSL modem for Internet. How/what do I
need for the other desktop to connect in the same time to the Internet? Some
router ?!

The same question if I will have a wireless laptop - what would I need to
connect all 3 of them in the same time?

Please be very specific.

Thank you very much,

Dan

Malke

D wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Can you tell me please:
>
> I have a desktop that uses high speed DSL modem for Internet.
> How/what do I need for the other desktop to connect in the same time
> to the Internet? Some router ?!
>
> The same question if I will have a wireless laptop - what would I need
> to connect all 3 of them in the same time?
>
> Please be very specific.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Dan

Here is a Linksys site that explains quite well what you need. Of
course, you don't need to buy their hardware - I just think the
pictures are helpful.

http://www.linksys.com/edu/

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Hi Malke:

Thanks!

So, a wireless broadband router and a wireless USB adapter will do it?

Any special set-up in the PC?

Can you use 1 wireless USB for 2 PCs
Thanks,

Dan

"Malke" wrote:

> D wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > Can you tell me please:
> >
> > I have a desktop that uses high speed DSL modem for Internet.
> > How/what do I need for the other desktop to connect in the same time
> > to the Internet? Some router ?!
> >
> > The same question if I will have a wireless laptop - what would I need
> > to connect all 3 of them in the same time?
> >
> > Please be very specific.
> >
> > Thank you very much,
> >
> > Dan
>
> Here is a Linksys site that explains quite well what you need. Of
> course, you don't need to buy their hardware - I just think the
> pictures are helpful.
>
> http://www.linksys.com/edu/
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Try to get the router and any wireless devices from the same manufacturer.
They tend to work best with one another. The consumer products from the
major manufacturers are pretty similar in performance so get what's on sale.
So, if Linksys happens to be cheaper than D-Link, Netgear, etc. go with
Linksys. If not, go with something else.

Make sure that all wireless devices support WPA encryption. It's better
than WEP.

If you use applications like MSN Messenger, the router needs to support
UPnP. It should say so on the box.

There are three main ways of getting a computer connected wirelessly. The
first is the wireless card. The advantage is that it runs fast and device
drivers in XP have the ability to automatically update the firmware. The
second is the USB adapter. You can transfer a USB-based device between
computers. It's usually a bit more expensive than the card but has the
advantage that it can be moved around to get a better signal. If you only
have an older USB 1.1 (12Mbit/s) and not a newer USB 2.0 port then 802.11g
devices (54Mbit/s) will not be able to run at full speed. The third is the
game adapter (also goes by other names). It connects to the ethernet port
of your computer so you do not need to install any drivers. It also tends
to be the most expensive.

-Yves

"D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Malke:
>
> Thanks!
>
> So, a wireless broadband router and a wireless USB adapter will do it?
>
> Any special set-up in the PC?
>
> Can you use 1 wireless USB for 2 PCs
> Thanks,
>
> Dan
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> D wrote:
>>
>> > Hi:
>> >
>> > Can you tell me please:
>> >
>> > I have a desktop that uses high speed DSL modem for Internet.
>> > How/what do I need for the other desktop to connect in the same time
>> > to the Internet? Some router ?!
>> >
>> > The same question if I will have a wireless laptop - what would I need
>> > to connect all 3 of them in the same time?
>> >
>> > Please be very specific.
>> >
>> > Thank you very much,
>> >
>> > Dan
>>
>> Here is a Linksys site that explains quite well what you need. Of
>> course, you don't need to buy their hardware - I just think the
>> pictures are helpful.
>>
>> http://www.linksys.com/edu/
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"

Thanks, Yves!

"Yves Konigshofer" wrote:

> Try to get the router and any wireless devices from the same manufacturer.
> They tend to work best with one another. The consumer products from the
> major manufacturers are pretty similar in performance so get what's on sale.
> So, if Linksys happens to be cheaper than D-Link, Netgear, etc. go with
> Linksys. If not, go with something else.
>
> Make sure that all wireless devices support WPA encryption. It's better
> than WEP.
>
> If you use applications like MSN Messenger, the router needs to support
> UPnP. It should say so on the box.
>
> There are three main ways of getting a computer connected wirelessly. The
> first is the wireless card. The advantage is that it runs fast and device
> drivers in XP have the ability to automatically update the firmware. The
> second is the USB adapter. You can transfer a USB-based device between
> computers. It's usually a bit more expensive than the card but has the
> advantage that it can be moved around to get a better signal. If you only
> have an older USB 1.1 (12Mbit/s) and not a newer USB 2.0 port then 802.11g
> devices (54Mbit/s) will not be able to run at full speed. The third is the
> game adapter (also goes by other names). It connects to the ethernet port
> of your computer so you do not need to install any drivers. It also tends
> to be the most expensive.
>
> -Yves
>
> "D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Malke:
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > So, a wireless broadband router and a wireless USB adapter will do it?
> >
> > Any special set-up in the PC?
> >
> > Can you use 1 wireless USB for 2 PCs
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dan

> >> Here is a Linksys site that explains quite well what you need. Of
> >> course, you don't need to buy their hardware - I just think the
> >> pictures are helpful.
> >>
> >> http://www.linksys.com/edu/
> >>
> >> Malke
> >> --
> >> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >> Elephant Boy Computers
> >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> >> "Don't Panic!"

papa

Get a 4-port wireless router, preferably one that includes a print server.
That way both your wired and wireless computers will have internet and LAN
access, and you would be able to share your printer among them all.

My router is a D-Link DI-714P+, and it serves not only my printer, but 3 PCs
(wired) and 1 laptop (wireless). It uses the b (not g) IEEE specification,
but speed has not been a problem. I'm on cable.