Success! WD 160G Hard Drive

Success!!!
Thanks for all of the excellent advice I got in this group, I
installed it and created five equal partetions..............no
problem! It Actually works

THANKS LOADS GROUP!

Wildbill

A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008
AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Geforce FX 5200 128MB
Windows XP Home SP1
3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture
DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB Hard Drive
........and the list goes on.........

Dano

Why did you create 5 partitions? I'm just curious...

<Wildbill> wrote in message
> Success!!!
> Thanks for all of the excellent advice I got in this group, I
> installed it and created five equal partetions..............no
> problem! It Actually works
>
> THANKS LOADS GROUP!
>
> Wildbill
>

> A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008
> AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
> 2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
> Geforce FX 5200 128MB
> Windows XP Home SP1
> 3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture
> DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive
> Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB Hard Drive
> .......and the list goes on.........

Audio/Video/Still Images/Data/OS

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:31:53 GMT, "DanO"
<danogorchockNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Why did you create 5 partitions? I'm just curious...
>
><Wildbill> wrote in message
>> Success!!!
>> Thanks for all of the excellent advice I got in this group, I
>> installed it and created five equal partetions..............no
>> problem! It Actually works
>>
>> THANKS LOADS GROUP!
>>
>> Wildbill
>>

>> A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008
>> AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
>> 2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
>> Geforce FX 5200 128MB
>> Windows XP Home SP1
>> 3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture
>> DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive
>> Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB Hard Drive
>> .......and the list goes on.........

A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008
AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Geforce FX 5200 128MB
Windows XP Home SP1
3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive

Wildbill wrote:

> Audio/Video/Still Images/Data/OS
>
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:31:53 GMT, "DanO"
> <danogorchockNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Why did you create 5 partitions? I'm just curious...
> >
> ><Wildbill> wrote in message
> >> Success!!!
> >> Thanks for all of the excellent advice I got in this group, I
> >> installed it and created five equal partetions..............no
> >> problem! It Actually works
> >>
> >> THANKS LOADS GROUP!
> >>
> >> Wildbill
> >>

> >> A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008
> >> AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
> >> 2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
> >> Geforce FX 5200 128MB
> >> Windows XP Home SP1
> >> 3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture
> >> DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive
> >> Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB Hard Drive
> >> .......and the list goes on.........
> >

> A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008
> AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
> 2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
> Geforce FX 5200 128MB
> Windows XP Home SP1
> 3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture
> Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive
> Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB Hard Drive
> .......and the list goes on.........

Not the best way to get the best performance for video or other things
for that matter.
Your system should be on your single fastest drive, with your data on
another totally seperate drive. I'd suggest something like a fast 40gig
drive for your system, with the 160 gig partitioned as you like in NTFS
to keep file sizes over 4gigs intact.

Gordon

<Wildbill> wrote in message news:mdqg80167bn6q9e4hn4n8gq0v2gra2bsei@4ax.com...

> Audio/Video/Still Images/Data/OS

ummm. if you really partioned in that order..
the last 1/4 of hdd (approx) is 1/2 speed of beginning 1/4.
The OS needs speed the most to host underlying system.

OS/data/video/audio/still images

--
'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck

I have moved my OS back to the 40GB Maxtor. I really don't know what I
will use that partetion for at this point. I may merge it with one of
the others

Wildbill

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:53:24 GMT, "NT Canuck" <ntcanuck@hotmail.com>
wrote:

><Wildbill> wrote in message news:mdqg80167bn6q9e4hn4n8gq0v2gra2bsei@4ax.com...
>
>> Audio/Video/Still Images/Data/OS
>
>ummm. if you really partioned in that order..
>the last 1/4 of hdd (approx) is 1/2 speed of beginning 1/4.
>The OS needs speed the most to host underlying system.
>
>OS/data/video/audio/still images

A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008
AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Geforce FX 5200 128MB
Windows XP Home SP1
3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar WD1600BB 160GB Hard Drive
........and the list goes on.........

Dano

Interesting.... You've got me even more curious now.... Why not just
create folders on a single large partition for each of these items, called
"My Pictures," "My Videos," "My Music," "My Documents," etc...??? This way
you don't end up always reshuffling partition sizes when you run out of
disk space within a given partition.

<Wildbill> wrote in message
> I have moved my OS back to the 40GB Maxtor. I really don't know what I
> will use that partetion for at this point. I may merge it with one of
> the others
>
> Wildbill
>

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:53:24 GMT, "NT Canuck" <ntcanuck@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> ><Wildbill> wrote in message
> >
> >> Audio/Video/Still Images/Data/OS
> >
> >ummm. if you really partioned in that order..
> >the last 1/4 of hdd (approx) is 1/2 speed of beginning 1/4.
> >The OS needs speed the most to host underlying system.
> >
> >OS/data/video/audio/still images
>
> A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008
> AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
> 2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
> Geforce FX 5200 128MB
> Windows XP Home SP1
> 3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture
> Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive
> Western Digital Caviar WD1600BB 160GB Hard Drive
> .......and the list goes on.........

One good reason is that if your OS fails to boot & has to be
reinstalled you will not lose the data. I also find it more convenient
when making C partition backups to have as little data as possible in
the backup.

Locust

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 03:15:20 GMT, "DanO"
<danogorchockNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Interesting.... You've got me even more curious now.... Why not just
>create folders on a single large partition for each of these items, called
>"My Pictures," "My Videos," "My Music," "My Documents," etc...??? This way
>you don't end up always reshuffling partition sizes when you run out of
>disk space within a given partition.
>
><Wildbill> wrote in message
>> I have moved my OS back to the 40GB Maxtor. I really don't know what I
>> will use that partetion for at this point. I may merge it with one of
>> the others
>>
>> Wildbill
>>

>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:53:24 GMT, "NT Canuck" <ntcanuck@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> ><Wildbill> wrote in message

>> >ummm. if you really partioned in that order..
>> >the last 1/4 of hdd (approx) is 1/2 speed of beginning 1/4.
>> >The OS needs speed the most to host underlying system.
>> >
>> >OS/data/video/audio/still images
>>
>> A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008
>> AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
>> 2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
>> Geforce FX 5200 128MB
>> Windows XP Home SP1
>> 3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture
>> Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive
>> Western Digital Caviar WD1600BB 160GB Hard Drive
>> .......and the list goes on.........

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

That would depend on why your OS fails to boot. If it is a HD failure you
might lose it all. It's not a bad idea to make another boot image on the
same drive in a different directory. That way if just the main install of
windows gets corrupted, but the boot.ini file isn't, you can boot to the
second image and make adjustments from the GUI instead of recovery console.