Which model do I have?

Hi,

I have an ASUS motherboard it appears... I was told it was a Gigabyte,
but looking around for identification, I see "ASUS" written on it, and
found this newsgroup via google, and well... what do I have?

The board has some large chips that say "ALi", there is "PSA" written
somewhere, it has an Award BIOS, socket 7, two USB's,... but where is
the model number/name written on the board?

Can anyone help?

(my real email address is "lorlaka at yahoo dot com")

Razzbar schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I have an ASUS motherboard it appears... I was told it was a Gigabyte,
> but looking around for identification, I see "ASUS" written on it, and
> found this newsgroup via google, and well... what do I have?
>
> The board has some large chips that say "ALi", there is "PSA" written
> somewhere,

That's an Asus P5A.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Paul

Splendid

In article <c66fd3$hno$07$2@news.t-online.com>, Stephan Grossklass
<sgrokla-nospam04q2@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Razzbar schrieb:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an ASUS motherboard it appears... I was told it was a Gigabyte,
> > but looking around for identification, I see "ASUS" written on it, and
> > found this newsgroup via google, and well... what do I have?
> >
> > The board has some large chips that say "ALi", there is "PSA" written
> > somewhere,
>
> That's an Asus P5A.
>
> Stephan

Downloads for the board are here, including a manual (p5a-107.pdf) :

http://www.asus.it/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P5A&Type=All

HTH,
Paul

Razzbar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an ASUS motherboard it appears... I was told it was a Gigabyte,
> but looking around for identification, I see "ASUS" written on it, and
> found this newsgroup via google, and well... what do I have?

You have an Asus of course. The gigabyte one is the GA-5AX rev 4.1A, it
looks a bit like the Asus one (s7, same ali chips, agp + 5 PCI + 2 ISA)
save the lack of onboard sound.

> The board has some large chips that say "ALi", there is "PSA" written
> somewhere, it has an Award BIOS, socket 7, two USB's,... but where is
> the model number/name written on the board?
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> (my real email address is "lorlaka at yahoo dot com")

As already pointed in the thread, it's the Asus P5A model. Looking a bit
closer between the PCI slots you will also see the revision number which
is always a useful thing to know about one's board.

Regards
Nikos