K8V SE Deluxe and problems entering BIOS setup

Hi group!

I'm having some trouble entering BIOS with the DEL-key, especially
from cold boot. When I hit the key (second time the logo shows up), I
get the black screen with the AMI logo, saying 'Entering setup...' or
something like that.

Sometimes I then have to wait more than a minute, before I get in,
sometimes nothing happens at all, and then I have to re-boot and try
again.

I have already installed Win XP and all the appropriate drives, and so
far it seems to work. It's just the BIOS setup.

When I enter the Hardware Monitor, it show the info for a few seconds,
and then freezes. I can't even configure the Q-fan.

Any hints?

My system is:

-K8V SE Deluxe
-Athlon 64 3400+
-Thermalright SLK 948U Heatsink w/Arctic Silver
-PAPST 3812 2GL/N CPU Fan
-Corsair TwinX 1024 PC3200LL (=2 x XMS 512 MB)
-Western Digital S-ATA boot disk, connected to the VIA Raid
-Misc. IDE devices and floppy

Thanks in advance!

Ken S.
Denmark
6 answers Last reply
More about deluxe problems entering bios setup

    On 22 Apr 2004 04:26:05 -0500, (Ken Sørensen) wrote:

    >Hi group!
    >
    >I'm having some trouble entering BIOS with the DEL-key, especially
    >from cold boot. When I hit the key (second time the logo shows up), I
    >get the black screen with the AMI logo, saying 'Entering setup...' or
    >something like that.
    >
    >Sometimes I then have to wait more than a minute, before I get in,
    >sometimes nothing happens at all, and then I have to re-boot and try
    >again.
    >
    >I have already installed Win XP and all the appropriate drives, and so
    >far it seems to work. It's just the BIOS setup.
    >
    >When I enter the Hardware Monitor, it show the info for a few seconds,
    >and then freezes. I can't even configure the Q-fan.
    >
    >Any hints?
    >
    >My system is:
    >
    >-K8V SE Deluxe
    >-Athlon 64 3400+
    >-Thermalright SLK 948U Heatsink w/Arctic Silver
    >-PAPST 3812 2GL/N CPU Fan
    >-Corsair TwinX 1024 PC3200LL (=2 x XMS 512 MB)
    >-Western Digital S-ATA boot disk, connected to the VIA Raid
    >-Misc. IDE devices and floppy
    >
    >Thanks in advance!
    >
    >Ken S.
    >Denmark

    I have the same board Ken. The first thing that springs to mind is that you
    don't happen to be using a wireless keyboard do you?

    It may be worth reflashing the bios again may just in case its corrupted in
    some way. The original v1.001 bios is available on the Asus site.

    Cant really think what else is may be causing the problem.

    Regards

    John

    John <dy73ui39aHe5@cableinet.co.uk> wrote:

    >I have the same board Ken. The first thing that springs to mind is that you
    >don't happen to be using a wireless keyboard do you?
    >
    >It may be worth reflashing the bios again may just in case its corrupted in
    >some way. The original v1.001 bios is available on the Asus site.
    >
    >Cant really think what else is may be causing the problem.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >John

    Hi John, thanks for your reply!

    Well, I'm not using a wireless keyboard, however it is connected to
    one of the USB ports on the backpanel. I wonder if a PS/2 connection
    should be better....

    I'm a little disapointed, that ASUS not yet has come with a BIOS
    update, because with all these problem I have read about 'round the
    Internet with this board, they should be able to solve some of them.

    Don't you think, that loading the default settings should be enough?

    In fact I suspect the Corsair RAM to be source of the problem, because
    this type of RAM is not directly approved by ASUS. However, I cannot
    see why it should be a problem, as long as I use fast PC3200 RAM in
    good quality.

    Right now I have put the RAM modules in bank 1 and 3 (just to make
    space for the airflow between them), but today I will try to use the
    opposite of what is recommended by ASUS - bank 2 and 3!

    John, what kind of RAM are you using?

    Regards,

    Ken

    On 22 Apr 2004 07:39:24 -0500, (Ken Sørensen) wrote:

    >Hi John, thanks for your reply!
    >
    >Well, I'm not using a wireless keyboard, however it is connected to
    >one of the USB ports on the backpanel. I wonder if a PS/2 connection
    >should be better....
    >
    >I'm a little disapointed, that ASUS not yet has come with a BIOS
    >update, because with all these problem I have read about 'round the
    >Internet with this board, they should be able to solve some of them.
    >
    >Don't you think, that loading the default settings should be enough?
    >
    >In fact I suspect the Corsair RAM to be source of the problem, because
    >this type of RAM is not directly approved by ASUS. However, I cannot
    >see why it should be a problem, as long as I use fast PC3200 RAM in
    >good quality.
    >
    >Right now I have put the RAM modules in bank 1 and 3 (just to make
    >space for the airflow between them), but today I will try to use the
    >opposite of what is recommended by ASUS - bank 2 and 3!
    >
    >John, what kind of RAM are you using?
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Ken

    Touch wood I've had few problems with the board. :-)

    I do agree about a bios update however, I believe one could change the
    multiplier (or at least the equivalent of) on previous K8V and K8V D/X boards.

    Main problem I had after doing a new install of XP, as I thought it warranted it
    after a complete cpu & board upgrade, was problems with the on-board Marvell
    network... working properly with my Linksys router (I'm on a cable connection
    with 2 machines) For some reason I wasn't being issued with a IP when I booted
    up, the router has a built-in DHCP server so it issues an IP automatically to
    machines that are connected to it. I normally have the 2 machines I run here
    set to obtain an IP automatically and my wifes machine worked fine but mine was
    giving probs with this m/board. I found the answer was just to manually
    allocate an IP and put the settings in myself and that's worked okay since.
    Very strange as it worked okay on the Realtek onboard card in my previous Epox
    8RDA+ board.

    I also had a problem where my Epson Rx500 all-in-one printer did not like the
    rear upper 2 usb ports, but worked okay in one of the lower 2, the printer is
    USB-2 so it may have something to do with that, I can plug other USB-1 stuff in
    the top ports and they seem to work okay.

    Re. memory... I'm using 2 sticks of 512meg PC3200 Twinmos which has worked fine
    in this board... no probs at all in that area, and very stable indeed!
    3200 cpu runs very cool even with a slight overclock @210 FSB. It even runs
    with no trouble with a vcore of 1.4v so I think this cpu is very overclockable
    indeed. CPU Temperature is normally around the 32/33c mark rising to about
    36c when heavy gaming.
    Incidently I've slowed the original retail cpu fan speed down slightly to
    around the 2700 rpm mark as this makes it almost silent, so to get those temps
    with the slower fan is quite good IMO. ( No regrets whatsoever getting this cpu)

    Pity this board doesn't have a AGP lock on it, as my 9800 pro doesn't like
    having the AGP overclocked too much.

    I have played around with the memory timings at some length, but found I could
    only get small gains when compared to the auto mode.
    So I tend to leave most of the settings in auto. Mem speed is set to x2 (DDR
    400) and I have the turbo enabled.

    Regards

    John

    I have not been able to use a USB keyboard and get into the Bios. I have
    been
    switching to an old mini-plug keyboard to do it. Also still can't get my SB
    Audigy 2 ZS to install.
    It keeps interfering with my Promise 378 controller so I get a "No hard
    drive found" on boot. Creative support has never heard of the problem and
    can't offer any advice; other than the standard "reset the drivers"???? How
    do you do that if it won't boot???

    V/R Jim

    "John" <dy73ui39aHe5@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
    overclockable
    > indeed. CPU Temperature is normally around the 32/33c mark rising to
    about
    > 36c when heavy gaming.
    > Incidently I've slowed the original retail cpu fan speed down slightly to
    > around the 2700 rpm mark as this makes it almost silent, so to get those
    temps
    > with the slower fan is quite good IMO. ( No regrets whatsoever getting
    this cpu)

    > Pity this board doesn't have a AGP lock on it, as my 9800 pro doesn't like
    > having the AGP overclocked too much.
    >
    > I have played around with the memory timings at some length, but found I
    could
    > only get small gains when compared to the auto mode.
    > So I tend to leave most of the settings in auto. Mem speed is set to x2

    try one stick of ram only.

    First I tried moving the RAM sticks, but no matter which combination I
    choosed, I still had the problem.

    Then I got suspecious, because sometimes when I booted the machine, I
    got the 'CPU Fan error, press F1 to resume'.

    Remember the system freezed, when I tried to enter the Hardware
    Monitor info in the BIOS?

    Okay, maybe there was some kind of connection here...

    Then I read the manual again, especially the last chapter about
    Cool'n'Quiet. And that made it clear: If a non-standard AMD fan is
    used, the Cool'n'Quiet will not work at all! Why? Because some kind of
    a so called CHIP in the fan....huh?

    Allright, if ASUS/AMD want it in that way....

    I then took off my lownoise 92 mm Papst fan, and mounted the poor
    noisy AMD fan.....booted, at no more CPU fan errors or problems with
    the BIOS setup!! The Hardware monitor works also as well.

    I wonder why ASUS states that if another fan is used, then I am
    supposed to use the Q-fan functionality. I mean, if I can't enter the
    Hardware monitor, I can't activate Q-fan....;-)

    I'm not surprised if I experience other problems later on, but right
    now I'm quite happy I solved this particulary problem.

    Regards,

    Ken

Asus BIOS Boot Motherboards