USB 2.0 external drive "Path is too deep"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello All,

I have a maxtor 200gb hard drive in a USB 2.0 external enclosure, connected
to my motherboards USB 1.1 ports the drive functions perfectly, albeit slow,
the same is also true if I connect it to the USB 2.0 ports but via a USB 1.1
hub. When the drive is connected directly to the USB 2.0 ports provided by
the motherboard trying to copy any file to the device results in a "Path is
too deep" error and the copy failing. I have tried copying a file from c:\
to the drive (p:\) and therefore am sure the path is not really too deep,
the same file copies fine on the 1.1 ports. Does anyone have any suggestions
about what could be causing this other than a dodgy controller or drivers?
My system is:

AMD XP2500+
Abit NF7-S (1.2)
Windows XP SP1

Thanks,
Paul

Hate to bump this back up, but I am experiencing the same issue...

I have an external 2.0" hard drive and when I try and copy stuff onto it
from my Win XP machine, it sits there for 30 seconds then comes up with
the same error.

Before anyone suggests the obvious (i.e. how long are your folder names on
the drive), the drive is completely empty.

Hate to bump this back up, but I am experiencing the same issue...

I have an external 2.0" hard drive and when I try and copy stuff onto it
from my Win XP machine, it sits there for 30 seconds then comes up with
the same error.

Before anyone suggests the obvious (i.e. how long are your folder names on
the drive), the drive is completely empty.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this, coz I get the same error with my
external 2.0" hard drive. Before anyone suggests the obvious, the drive
is completely blank before I try and copy anything to it> Cheers.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this, coz I get the same error with my
external 2.0" hard drive. Before anyone suggests the obvious, the drive
is completely blank before I try and copy anything to it> Cheers.

The problem seems to be that your computer does everything 4
times every minute or so, judging by the number of posts of
the same (or nearly same) message.

"PsychoHoseBeast" <aoxy61@hidden> wrote in message
| Does anyone have any suggestions on this, coz I get the
same error with my
| external 2.0" hard drive. Before anyone suggests the
obvious, the drive
| is completely blank before I try and copy anything to it>
Cheers.

Bumpity bump !
Somebody must know this is also 'doin my head in' ......
Command prompts ?
charachters ?
nothin works ?,this has been goin on too long.

bens2008

Solution:

I also Received this error when copying files to my USB drive. First I was unable to detect the problem. But then I realised that the USB Drive is not connected directly to my PC. It was through a USB Connector Cable (I Think it is called USB Hub). I removed my USB Drive and Connected it to PC Directly (in USB Port) without that Long Connector cable.

Now the Problem is Solved.

Good Luck!

-
BR Beniwal