Is this possible?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 4, 2004 2:05:53 AM

....or am I just wasting my time?

I have (1) an ADSL wireless modem / router (Zyxel) and (2) a Belkin DSL /
Cable Gateway / Router.
I'm trying to create a setup where my Desktop and laptop share files and
internet via wireless. I'd also like to share printers, scanner etc.

The laptop has built in 802.11b wireless, the desktop has a Belkin PCI
Wireless card, (both have ethernet cards).

My Desktop machine is too far from (1) to connect by cable and also this
unit (1) has only WEP security. My laptop and desktop both have XP Pro SP2
and I want (if poss) to use better encryption than (1) provides. However,
getting *any* kind of Network going would be a nice first move!

I've tried many combinations including switching off the Wireless DHCP and
NAT features of (1) and connecting it by ethernet cable to (2), then setting
up from there - I can't see why this shouldn't work, but it doesn't!

Another idea was to connect the desktop to (2) by cable, after switching
the Belkin to Wireless Access Point mode, the idea being to use the fact
that with to NICs, the desktop could be used with two different IP addresses
to enable me to create an "intranet" using a different range of IP's. That
didn't work either, though both machines are happily connected to internet
via (1).

If I haven't lost everyone yet, does anyone have any ideas on the best
solution to this?

I did try to set (2) up in bridging mode but (1) doesn't support this.

Sure I can connect the 2 machines together by cable but wasn't WiFi supposed
to be the easy answer to everything?

TIA

Rob

More about : question

December 5, 2004 12:15:28 AM

Hi
You shuould use the Belkin as a Switch with an Access Point.
May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Rob Davies" <robdavies@terra.es> wrote in message
> ...or am I just wasting my time?
>
> I have (1) an ADSL wireless modem / router (Zyxel) and (2) a Belkin DSL /
> Cable Gateway / Router.
> I'm trying to create a setup where my Desktop and laptop share files and
> internet via wireless. I'd also like to share printers, scanner etc.
>
> The laptop has built in 802.11b wireless, the desktop has a Belkin PCI
> Wireless card, (both have ethernet cards).
>
> My Desktop machine is too far from (1) to connect by cable and also this
> unit (1) has only WEP security. My laptop and desktop both have XP Pro SP2
> and I want (if poss) to use better encryption than (1) provides. However,
> getting *any* kind of Network going would be a nice first move!
>
> I've tried many combinations including switching off the Wireless DHCP and
> NAT features of (1) and connecting it by ethernet cable to (2), then
setting
> up from there - I can't see why this shouldn't work, but it doesn't!
>
> Another idea was to connect the desktop to (2) by cable, after switching
> the Belkin to Wireless Access Point mode, the idea being to use the fact
> that with to NICs, the desktop could be used with two different IP
addresses
> to enable me to create an "intranet" using a different range of IP's. That
> didn't work either, though both machines are happily connected to internet
> via (1).
>
> If I haven't lost everyone yet, does anyone have any ideas on the best
> solution to this?
>
> I did try to set (2) up in bridging mode but (1) doesn't support this.
>
> Sure I can connect the 2 machines together by cable but wasn't WiFi
supposed
> to be the easy answer to everything?
>
> TIA
>
> Rob

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 17, 2004 2:59:52 AM

Cheers Jack, as a direct result of this article I got it going.
Thanks a million!

Rob

news:o 7wV8An2EHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

!