How to recover from bad BIOS settings?

I have a PC with an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo, which worked perfectly at its
nominal speed, no overclocking. Then I had the insane idea to try,
just for fun, to push a bit the speed limits. I set the CPU clock at
200 MHz (instead of 166), the multiplier at 12, and the memory timings
at "Aggressive".
Result : the PC does not boot anymore, emitting a continous string of
long beeps. I would like to reset the BIOS settings to the default
values, but how can I do that? The power on sequence does not proceed
past the long beeps... why doesn't the BIOS revert to the default
values when there is an error, like my previous mobo (an Abit) did ?

Thanks for any help and suggestions
Alberto

BigJim

pull the battery out for a couple minutes or read the user guide for the
jumpers that reset the bios to default.
"Alberto" <adibene@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a PC with an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo, which worked perfectly at its
> nominal speed, no overclocking. Then I had the insane idea to try,
> just for fun, to push a bit the speed limits. I set the CPU clock at
> 200 MHz (instead of 166), the multiplier at 12, and the memory timings
> at "Aggressive".
> Result : the PC does not boot anymore, emitting a continous string of
> long beeps. I would like to reset the BIOS settings to the default
> values, but how can I do that? The power on sequence does not proceed
> past the long beeps... why doesn't the BIOS revert to the default
> values when there is an error, like my previous mobo (an Abit) did ?
>
> Thanks for any help and suggestions
> Alberto

Paul

Splendid

In article <EjUhc.15730$GR.2198918@attbi_s01>, "BigJim"
<woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote:

> pull the battery out for a couple minutes or read the user guide for the
> jumpers that reset the bios to default.

Don't forget to unplug the computer! You cannot leave +5VSB running
on the board when you reset the CMOS, as it will burn the dual diode
on the motherboard.

> "Alberto" <adibene@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have a PC with an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo, which worked perfectly at its
> > nominal speed, no overclocking. Then I had the insane idea to try,
> > just for fun, to push a bit the speed limits. I set the CPU clock at
> > 200 MHz (instead of 166), the multiplier at 12, and the memory timings
> > at "Aggressive".
> > Result : the PC does not boot anymore, emitting a continous string of
> > long beeps. I would like to reset the BIOS settings to the default
> > values, but how can I do that? The power on sequence does not proceed
> > past the long beeps... why doesn't the BIOS revert to the default
> > values when there is an error, like my previous mobo (an Abit) did ?
> >
> > Thanks for any help and suggestions
> > Alberto

Have you tried clearing the CMOS by moving jumper CLRTC?

Prang

Wizard Prang <wizard_prang@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<88hg80dvb224vbrsnf7j85q5u8qb1e6kd6@4ax.com>...
> Have you tried clearing the CMOS by moving jumper CLRTC?
>
> Prang

That worked, thanks, my PC is resurrected.
But shouldn't this mobo have a "crashproof" mode, I remember to have
read words to that effect, where the BIOS reverts to safe values in
case it is unable to initialize? Or were they just advertizing lies?
It isn't so comfortable to disconnect all the cables, put the PC on a
table, open the case, etc..... oh well....

TNX
Alberto

> Wizard Prang <wizard_prang@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > Have you tried clearing the CMOS by moving jumper CLRTC?
> >
> > Prang
> >
> That worked, thanks, my PC is resurrected.
> But shouldn't this mobo have a "crashproof" mode, I remember to have
> read words to that effect, where the BIOS reverts to safe values in
> case it is unable to initialize? Or were they just advertizing lies?
> It isn't so comfortable to disconnect all the cables, put the PC on a
> table, open the case, etc..... oh well....
>
> TNX
> Alberto

Next time this happens, try holding the Insert key when you turn it on.
This may let you enter your BIOS by loading default settings.

"KCB" <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> wrote in message news:<kNDic.24585$aQ6.1434121@attbi_s51>...

> Next time this happens, try holding the Insert key when you turn it on.
> This may let you enter your BIOS by loading default settings.

Nope... did try that, didn't work...

"John" <jlocan@bluep.com> wrote in message news:<408af5b6@news.comindico.com.au>...
> Crash proof in one thing but, imbecile proof is another

Are you speaking from your personal experience?

Alberto