Q-Fan with Antec TruePower Fan Control?

I'm putting together a system with ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe in an Antec
Plus 1080 Case wtih TruePower supply. I have four case fans and want
to know the best way to hook them up, as both the ASUS and the
TruePower have the ability to control fan speed according to
temperature. I've heard, from yet another "expert", that it's not a
good idea to mix fan speed control methods. The Antec method will only
monitor 3 fans; the Q-fan on the ASUS even fewer. So, what to do with
the four case fans? Thank you very much for any help!!

Dano

Hook up the case fans to the Antec TruePower FAN-ONLY connector. You can
connect all four to that wire, just piggyback a couple of them if needed.
You'll be amazed at how quiet your system will be.

Q-Fan on my Asus P4 MB's only controls the CPU fan speed. Not sure about
the A7N8X series...

"Rafi in San Diego" <rafi1883@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm putting together a system with ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe in an Antec
> Plus 1080 Case wtih TruePower supply. I have four case fans and want
> to know the best way to hook them up, as both the ASUS and the
> TruePower have the ability to control fan speed according to
> temperature. I've heard, from yet another "expert", that it's not a
> good idea to mix fan speed control methods. The Antec method will only
> monitor 3 fans; the Q-fan on the ASUS even fewer. So, what to do with
> the four case fans? Thank you very much for any help!!

"Rafi in San Diego" <rafi1883@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm putting together a system with ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe in an Antec
> Plus 1080 Case wtih TruePower supply. I have four case fans and want
> to know the best way to hook them up, as both the ASUS and the
> TruePower have the ability to control fan speed according to
> temperature. I've heard, from yet another "expert", that it's not a
> good idea to mix fan speed control methods. The Antec method will only
> monitor 3 fans; the Q-fan on the ASUS even fewer. So, what to do with
> the four case fans? Thank you very much for any help!!

Q-Fan is only for your thermally controlled CPU fan.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:26:29 +1000, "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au>
wrote:

>"Rafi in San Diego" <rafi1883@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm putting together a system with ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe in an Antec
>> Plus 1080 Case wtih TruePower supply. I have four case fans and want
>> to know the best way to hook them up, as both the ASUS and the
>> TruePower have the ability to control fan speed according to
>> temperature. I've heard, from yet another "expert", that it's not a
>> good idea to mix fan speed control methods. The Antec method will only
>> monitor 3 fans; the Q-fan on the ASUS even fewer. So, what to do with
>> the four case fans? Thank you very much for any help!!
>
>Q-Fan is only for your thermally controlled CPU fan.

Slight correction.

Q-Fan is ONLY for CPU fans that do NOT have any thermal controls
built in like the stock Intel fans have in them. If the fan already
has a temp control built in then do not use Q-Fan. Yes, it only works
for the CPU fan and you can use the Antec fan connectors for your case
fans. I only use it for the 2 rear fans as my front fan has it's own
control.

"crypto" <spam@spam.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:26:29 +1000, "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >"Rafi in San Diego" <rafi1883@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm putting together a system with ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe in an Antec
> >> Plus 1080 Case wtih TruePower supply. I have four case fans and want
> >> to know the best way to hook them up, as both the ASUS and the
> >> TruePower have the ability to control fan speed according to
> >> temperature. I've heard, from yet another "expert", that it's not a
> >> good idea to mix fan speed control methods. The Antec method will only
> >> monitor 3 fans; the Q-fan on the ASUS even fewer. So, what to do with
> >> the four case fans? Thank you very much for any help!!
> >
> >Q-Fan is only for your thermally controlled CPU fan.
> >

> Slight correction.
>
> Q-Fan is ONLY for CPU fans that do NOT have any thermal controls
> built in like the stock Intel fans have in them. If the fan already
> has a temp control built in then do not use Q-Fan. Yes, it only works
> for the CPU fan and you can use the Antec fan connectors for your case
> fans. I only use it for the 2 rear fans as my front fan has it's own
> control.

Wrong, and you're a real moron for giving this advice.

Q-Fan works EXCELLENTLY with my thermally controlled P4 fan. In fact,
without Q-Fan my system would be distractingly noisy on any but the coldest
days.

Without Q-Fan it is WAY too agressive, going up to 4000-5500 RPMs when it's
not even that hot in the case. All Q-Fan does is throttle it down to some
ratio of what it otherwise would be (so that it still thermally adjusts,
it's just lower than it would be).

I don't know where it got out that you shouldn't use Q-Fan with thermally
controlled fans, but the person needs to be shot.

Ed

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:23:53 +1000, "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au>
wrote:

>"crypto" <spam@spam.org> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:26:29 +1000, "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"Rafi in San Diego" <rafi1883@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> >Q-Fan is only for your thermally controlled CPU fan.
>> >

>> Slight correction.
>>
>> Q-Fan is ONLY for CPU fans that do NOT have any thermal controls
>> built in like the stock Intel fans have in them. If the fan already
>> has a temp control built in then do not use Q-Fan. Yes, it only works
>> for the CPU fan and you can use the Antec fan connectors for your case
>> fans. I only use it for the 2 rear fans as my front fan has it's own
>> control.
>
>Wrong, and you're a real moron for giving this advice.
>
>Q-Fan works EXCELLENTLY with my thermally controlled P4 fan. In fact,
>without Q-Fan my system would be distractingly noisy on any but the coldest
>days.
>
>Without Q-Fan it is WAY too agressive, going up to 4000-5500 RPMs when it's
>not even that hot in the case. All Q-Fan does is throttle it down to some
>ratio of what it otherwise would be (so that it still thermally adjusts,
>it's just lower than it would be).
>
>I don't know where it got out that you shouldn't use Q-Fan with thermally
>controlled fans, but the person needs to be shot.

If Q-fan is set low enough it's very possible a thermal fan *will* stop
spinning and not start up again.

Ed

JB

"Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au> wrote in message
> "crypto" <spam@spam.org> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:26:29 +1000, "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >"Rafi in San Diego" <rafi1883@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > >Q-Fan is only for your thermally controlled CPU fan.
> > >

> > Slight correction.
> >
> > Q-Fan is ONLY for CPU fans that do NOT have any thermal controls
> > built in like the stock Intel fans have in them. If the fan already
> > has a temp control built in then do not use Q-Fan. Yes, it only works
> > for the CPU fan and you can use the Antec fan connectors for your case
> > fans. I only use it for the 2 rear fans as my front fan has it's own
> > control.
>
> Wrong, and you're a real moron for giving this advice.
>
> Q-Fan works EXCELLENTLY with my thermally controlled P4 fan. In fact,
> without Q-Fan my system would be distractingly noisy on any but the
coldest
> days.
>
> Without Q-Fan it is WAY too agressive, going up to 4000-5500 RPMs when
it's
> not even that hot in the case. All Q-Fan does is throttle it down to some
> ratio of what it otherwise would be (so that it still thermally adjusts,
> it's just lower than it would be).
>
> I don't know where it got out that you shouldn't use Q-Fan with thermally
> controlled fans, but the person needs to be shot.

My P4S533 board will not source enough current to drive an Intel hsf full
speed. Another fan that required even less power than the Intel produced
the same result.

Perhaps your board has a similar problem. In that case it would be quiet
with Q-fan regardless of how hot the cpu gets. And if your hsf is the
factory-furnished Intel, it's temperature controller could be defective or
overidden.

I run the Intel hsf off the main harness and it is always quiet. The only
time I hear it is when I slow the case fans and the Intel fan speeds up due
to the temperature increase.

"Ed" <nobox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:23:53 +1000, "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >"crypto" <spam@spam.org> wrote in message

> >> Slight correction.
> >>
> >> Q-Fan is ONLY for CPU fans that do NOT have any thermal controls
> >> built in like the stock Intel fans have in them. If the fan already
> >> has a temp control built in then do not use Q-Fan. Yes, it only works
> >> for the CPU fan and you can use the Antec fan connectors for your case
> >> fans. I only use it for the 2 rear fans as my front fan has it's own
> >> control.
> >
> >Wrong, and you're a real moron for giving this advice.
> >
> >Q-Fan works EXCELLENTLY with my thermally controlled P4 fan. In fact,
> >without Q-Fan my system would be distractingly noisy on any but the
coldest
> >days.
> >
> >Without Q-Fan it is WAY too agressive, going up to 4000-5500 RPMs when
it's
> >not even that hot in the case. All Q-Fan does is throttle it down to some
> >ratio of what it otherwise would be (so that it still thermally adjusts,
> >it's just lower than it would be).
> >
> >I don't know where it got out that you shouldn't use Q-Fan with thermally
> >controlled fans, but the person needs to be shot.
> >

> If Q-fan is set low enough it's very possible a thermal fan *will* stop
> spinning and not start up again.

More bollocks. Mine is set on the lowest (11/16) and has never stopped
spinning.

"Outback Jon" <kc2bne@mh.no.sp.am.online.net> wrote in message
> Darkfalz wrote:
> > More bollocks. Mine is set on the lowest (11/16) and has never stopped
> > spinning.
>
> Well, that's the lowest with the BIOS that Asus has released. I can set
> mine lower. As low as 1/16 I believe...
>
> But for the incredibly minor change in noise, I don't bother - The other
> three case fans make just as much noise anyway....

In the summer it was going at 5500 rpms all day, you could hear it from the
next room. Completely pointless too, as it seems to be controlled by the
ambient temperature, not the CPU temperature, which wasn't going to get any
cooler considering it was already over 30 C in my room.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Don't bother with Q-fan on the A7N8X-E Deluxe. I can't figure out what
sensor controls it, but it's not the CPU thermal Diode. The board may not
even be capable of measuring the diode. Q-fan may work off the case temp
sensor or the socket sensor. I tried setting up Q-fan with the stock AMD
heatsink and a better fan and the fan speed didn't increase at all. The CPU,
however, got hot enough to cause errors. You're best bet may be a
heatsink/fan with a temp probe that goes on the CPU. As for the other fans,
letting the PSU control them is probably good. I opted for a manual fan
controller.

Chris
"Rafi in San Diego" <rafi1883@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm putting together a system with ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe in an Antec
> Plus 1080 Case wtih TruePower supply. I have four case fans and want
> to know the best way to hook them up, as both the ASUS and the
> TruePower have the ability to control fan speed according to
> temperature. I've heard, from yet another "expert", that it's not a
> good idea to mix fan speed control methods. The Antec method will only
> monitor 3 fans; the Q-fan on the ASUS even fewer. So, what to do with
> the four case fans? Thank you very much for any help!!

Ed

controls
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 03:07:15 GMT, "Chris" <spadfly@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Don't bother with Q-fan on the A7N8X-E Deluxe. I can't figure out what
>sensor controls it, but it's not the CPU thermal Diode. The board may not
>even be capable of measuring the diode. Q-fan may work off the case temp
>sensor or the socket sensor. I tried setting up Q-fan with the stock AMD
>heatsink and a better fan and the fan speed didn't increase at all. The CPU,
>however, got hot enough to cause errors. You're best bet may be a
>heatsink/fan with a temp probe that goes on the CPU. As for the other fans,
>letting the PSU control them is probably good. I opted for a manual fan
>controller.

On my "A7N8X" v2.00, Q-Fan works off the socket temp, the BIOS reports
the cpu diode temp and Asus pc probe displays the socket temp!
What a mess! If you want to see the CPU diode temp in Windows try MBM5
or SpeedFan.

I just started using SpeedFan and so far it working great on my A7N8X,
now if I could just control the cpu vcore and MHz on the fly like
AMD64's Id have cool and quite too! ;p

Ed

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

MBM5 won't report the diode temp either. The A7N8X-E Deluxe uses a different
hardware monitor chip. The author of MBM5 says he can't find any way
possible to read the diode. Speedfan doesn't work either, in fact it locks
up the computer.

Chris
> controls
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 03:07:15 GMT, "Chris" <spadfly@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >Don't bother with Q-fan on the A7N8X-E Deluxe. I can't figure out what
> >sensor controls it, but it's not the CPU thermal Diode. The board may not
> >even be capable of measuring the diode. Q-fan may work off the case temp
> >sensor or the socket sensor. I tried setting up Q-fan with the stock AMD
> >heatsink and a better fan and the fan speed didn't increase at all. The
CPU,
> >however, got hot enough to cause errors. You're best bet may be a
> >heatsink/fan with a temp probe that goes on the CPU. As for the other
fans,
> >letting the PSU control them is probably good. I opted for a manual fan
> >controller.
>
> On my "A7N8X" v2.00, Q-Fan works off the socket temp, the BIOS reports
> the cpu diode temp and Asus pc probe displays the socket temp!
> What a mess! If you want to see the CPU diode temp in Windows try MBM5
> or SpeedFan.
>
> I just started using SpeedFan and so far it working great on my A7N8X,
> now if I could just control the cpu vcore and MHz on the fly like
> AMD64's Id have cool and quite too! ;p
>
> Ed

Ed

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:01:37 GMT, "Chris" <spadfly@earthlink.net> wrote:

>MBM5 won't report the diode temp either. The A7N8X-E Deluxe uses a different
>hardware monitor chip. The author of MBM5 says he can't find any way
>possible to read the diode. Speedfan doesn't work either, in fact it locks
>up the computer.

Huh bummer! IOW why Asus changed it on the -E, maybe there is something
wrong with the ABS100 chip on these boards? The health monitoring on my
A7N8X isn't exactly that good, compared to 3 other (non-asus) boards I
have it's the worst but then again it's the best in stability and
performance, ya win some, ya loose some I guess? ;p

Ed