Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I've slaved a hard drive to the master, it shows in device manager as working correctly, but I can not access it through My Computer - any ideas?

Phil, go to Control Panel>AdminTools>Computer Manage>Disk Manage. See if
it shows up there and if
yes try to assign a drive letter.
"Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've slaved a hard drive to the master, it shows in device manager as
working correctly, but I can not access it through My Computer - any ideas?

Right click My Computer,
Click Manage
Click Disk Management.

You can set a drive letter there for it.

"Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've slaved a hard drive to the master, it shows in device manager as
> working correctly, but I can not access it through My Computer - any
> ideas?

"Phil" asked
> I've slaved a hard drive to the master, it shows in device manager as
working correctly, but I can not access it through My Computer - any ideas?

Hi Phil

Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage".
Disk management is listed under Storage on the left
Select 'disk management'
The new drive should appear in the right hand panel

Either follow the instructions in the 'Wizard' or manually right-click the
new drive and initialise, partition and format the drive.

It is usually advisable to format the drive as NTFS.

It may be worthwhile to look through the info on using disk management at
the web-page linked below (alternatively the help pages in disk management
should be helpful)

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/install_xp_disk_mgmt.html

Although it is on the Seagate site the instructions should work for any
drive.

Hope that helps
Pete